The HAARP Machine Megathread

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

glassmoon0fo

Some Say...
Reaction score
It's a good thing they never claimed to be a "virtuoso group" then, eh...? :rolleyes: Personally, I enjoy the music on their album. From your post above, if he can't pull it off live, it's better for him to have never written it at all and made money from it? Sorry, I can't agree with you there. :shrug: I'm glad they put the album out, I can enjoy it when I'm driving to work without having to see them play it live. If you are so bothered by it, why keep watching videos of them playing live or going to their shows? If you stop subjecting yourself to it, you could save yourself from being so clearly upset about it. :lol: It really is a silly thing to get yourself all worked up over in the grand scheme of things. :rofl:

MOTHERFUCKING THIS.

Trespass

AEADGBEA
Reaction score
tech metal: where being really fucking good at guitar just isn't good enough

But he's not "really fucking good".

Go to your nearest large city center (ie Calgary). Guaranteed there are at least a couple hundred cats that could not only play this stuff, but play it in time. Studio guys, touring guys, jazz grads, metal players in the scene.

In other words, professional musicians.

And the moment this guy got signed to a label and started touring, -started playing professionally-, he started to get judged to a professional standard. Absolutely right in my books.

A possible solution? Brand yourself a composer/songwriter, get a more competent guitarist to play the hard parts. Works for x classical composer, the Beatles/Paul McCartney etc. etc.

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
But he's not "really fucking good".

Go to your nearest large city center (ie Calgary). Guaranteed there are at least a couple hundred cats that could not only play this stuff, but play it in time. Studio guys, touring guys, jazz grads, metal players in the scene.

we must not be watching the same live vids then, because in some of them he absolutely nails really tricky rhythm parts that most of these guitar store heroes couldn't play because they only practice sweeps and scalar runs

sure there are a few vids where he fucks up easy parts, butchers his own solo or just stops playing but there is a lot out there showing he can play his own stuff. not often enough, but if your only issue as a live guitarist is consistency you are on the right track. experience is the only thing that helps with that, and he's getting it right now

you think this shit is a big deal? I saw Van Halen on their last tour with Sammy Haggar. Eddy was so fucked out of his head he couldn't play anything and spent his big solo spot lying down on the stage twiddling with his volume knob, and he was playing arena shows all across North America. Al's live performances are perfectly godlike compared to that bullshit. he's just got to keep at it.

don't get the hate train for this guy at all. He has a questionable character and is probably crazy. Right now his lofty vision exceeds what he can actually accomplish but that does not make him even remotely unique in any music circle. but why is nobody letting his music stand for itself? :noplease:

Xarn

Reaction score
don't get the hate train for this guy at all. He has a questionable character and is probably crazy. Right now his lofty vision exceeds what he can actually accomplish but that does not make him even remotely unique in any music circle. but why is nobody letting his music stand for itself? :noplease:

Welcome to technical metal. When Necrophagist released their demos they hadn't played a single live show, people were rambling on forums that there was no way this dude could pull that shit off, they proved the haters wrong. Same stuff with the early bulb stuff, Zyglrox, Insomnia to name a few, he proved them wrong. Spawn of possession, another fine example where people doubted that they could pull it off.

Haarp machine? Al hasn't convinced anyone - thus the hate lives on.

Though I don't personally care, I like the cd and that's good enough for me. But this rambling on professional musicians isn't exactly new, but I just think they got a little too hyped and too soon. Should've done more shows while they were unsigned to get some more experience.

RagtimeDandy

On a Musical Journey
Reaction score
My personal opinion is if you can't play it, don't write it. I personally write music to keep improving. I can barely play the songs I write when I'm writing them, and by the time I record them it takes several takes to get it down...but give it a few months and I can play the stuff flawlessly. If you have to record at half speed, you're doing it wrong (yes I know impossible riffs being played perfect on CD, etc.)

If you can't play your songs...don't play your songs.

RagtimeDandy

On a Musical Journey
Reaction score
Hate to be a dick (I don't really)

Contradicting yourself in half a line is pretty quick

I fail to see the contradiction. I learn how to play the songs. My point is Al still can't even months after recording.

Also, barely =/= needs to be recorded at half speed. I can play the riffs but its difficult.

glassmoon0fo

Some Say...
Reaction score
You guys are all STILL whining like bitches over something you have no control of, literally a few weeks after another thread got closed for the exact same thing. Can we move past this bullshit yet? Goddamn.

EDIT: Yeah, I'm mad bro.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
You guys are all STILL whining like bitches over something you have no control of, literally a few weeks after another thread got closed for the exact same thing. Can we move past this bullshit yet? Goddamn.

EDIT: Yeah, I'm mad bro.

This is a discussion forum, you don't have to participate dude. Just saying, no one's whining they're the ones who will reap what they've sown not us. But I believe we can freely discuss it as long as we'd like, I get the fact that it's been discussed before but this time we're discussing the aftermath of what happened in the last thread. The live show, which was inevitable is lackluster, the people who paid to see it are either disappointed or pissed, and be mad all you want but it's going to be said and discussed until it's deemed inappropriate.

glassmoon0fo

Some Say...
Reaction score
We always hear that when people seem to have gotten a tast for beating their head up against a brick wall. It's played out, just like this last two pages.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
We always hear that when people seem to have gotten a tast for beating their head up against a brick wall. It's played out, just like this last two pages.

Well like I said, enjoy your stay. It's obviously not going to end, and no one here is whining.

So basically, I feel like he just got too comfortable with his studio and recording settings. I mean the video I posted from a year ago compared to their first gig this year doesn't seem very different from one another. Maybe he's just not into playing live shows like I am, I dislike playing live because I'm not a clean enough player to play my shit perfectly every night. One day I might be, but I'm not presenting myself in any other way!

Plus that backing track thing is just silly, I'd rather see the Faceless for a longer set than hear a BT replace Al.

Metalus

JP BFR Whore
Reaction score
I dont understand how the live show is the real product. Whats that make the cd, an ad for the real product? pretty stupid. The album is awesome, tons of cool riffs. Live shows dont look to thrilling to be honest, but so be it. I hear the Foo Fighters put on an amazing live show. However Im not a big fan of their music. So do I have to run out n see them live and become a fan because the real product is great? the band produces music. If you dont like the music on the cd, dont buy it. If you think their live performances are sub par or boring, dont go to them. People are so goddamn sensitive I swear. Here is an important newsflash, every musician you have ever listened to is somewhat worse in a live setting. Such is the nature of live performances. You know that actor you really like who kicked ass in that action scene a minute ago, yeah, that took 76 tries and then had to be edited to make it look perfect. Same shit for music. Al is a great song/riff writer (subjective), and a great player. No, he is not super human who can 100$accurately do those high speed string skips every night.

Agreed

drmosh

Sir Paul of the Mosh
Contributor
Reaction score
Do we really want this thread closed again? This is some ridiculous shit. The amount of pure hate stemming from jealousy is just ridiculous.

IronGoliath

Reaction score
I thought their live performances in terms of everyone BUT their vocalist; was really abysmal. I hope that that changes soon. They can all play really well; but it's a live show not a rehearsal. I despise poor stagecraft.

Edited because dumbass grammatical errors.

anomynous

Reaction score
Love the fact that everybody who has negative things to say are jealous haters who are trying to get the thread closed.

anomynous

Reaction score
No wai, I'm so enlightened now.

Except for the fact that what I stated was actually said above me.

Latest posts

')