The HAARP Machine Megathread

abandonist

Banned
Reaction score
Your implication that everyone are just jealous is a logical fallacy. That's what a straw man is. You're arguing a point that no one is talking about. I can be absolutely sure I'm not jealous of Mr Mu'min. Doesn't mean I can't criticize him. Or state my opinions on backing tracks. In fact, I quite like the record, but their live shows are pretty abysmal if that's what's going on at them. It's not even about how technical or simple your songs are. It's about playing them well in front of people. No shame in being a studio band - lots of them out there. I've turned down several guitarist gigs due to my lack of wanting to drive all over the place to play shows. But if I did go ahead with it, I better know my material, and how to play it properly, or people would laugh me off the stage - and rightfully so. I have no sympathy for the guys in HAARP. They're out there playing songs for people that paid to see those songs, and doing it badly. If you had a coworker that was doing a terrible job and making all of you look bad, would you be super forgiving, or would you tell him to get his shit together? I don't hate these fellas (far from it - like I said, I enjoy the record), but they're not immune to criticism. Especially if they're botching songs and playing without their guitarist to a recording. That's unprofessional in the extreme.

To take the point a little further, everyone is allowed an off night. It's unfortunate, but it does happen. Sometimes we have a server call out and the food takes longer to arrive, sometimes one of our cooks isn't producing at the proper pace. Things happen. But from the looks of it, it's happening a lot, and without much in the way of grace. All guy needs to do is have a little humility and laugh it off "Sorry guys... this stuff is super hard!", but he's not. If his face is any indication of his internal struggle it's going something like "Fuck this shit!", and that's good for no one. Especially himself.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

isispelican

Reaction score
There is a reason for all this hate and its the huge and unfair amount of hype this band has gotten these last two years. Lets admit it, do you think that the majority of the people were impressed by the actual songwriting or the never before heard cleanness and perfection of his playing? Look at the youtube comments, most people dont know or dont believe that these videos (playthroughs and studio diaries) are "fake", and thats the reason for spreading the word. They call Al the "next Tosin" or "next guitar god" without knowing whats actually going on. On top of that, he makes a lot of mistakes live and half of the stuff is on backing tracks. So, my point is that there are ALOT of other talented bands out there that deserved this spot (sumerian, fame, faceless tour) much more than the THM.

TIBrent

Drop Z regular
Reaction score
Opinionated discussion is one thing, brash repetitive negativity especially while trying to sound clever...that is another. If the thread doesn't suite you, move on, simple as that, we have a lot of great open threads here. :)
-Brent

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
Opinionated discussion is one thing, brash repetitive negativity especially while trying to sound clever...that is another. If the thread doesn't suite you, move on, simple as that, we have a lot of great open threads here. :)
-Brent

Agreed 100%. Or better yet, if you REALLY feel the need to continue such a negative discussion, start a new thread and take it there if the mods allow it? :shrug:

morgasm7

Reaction score
I understand that this may seem overly negative or perhaps even petty to new fans of the band or bystanders, but I do feel that this discussion is extremely pertinent to the thread and it would be a shame to silence the people taking part. The release of the HAARP Machine album and the associated promotion lead to a certain expectation, and this discussion is simply an opportunity for people to voice their opinion on whether they think the live performance of the band has met this.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
All right, enough is enough. This is turning into a borderline troll fest as it's literally the same people having the same argument saying the same things over and over again. Time to drop it unless you want some time off.

In fact closing this clusterfuck and starting a new thread (again :facepalm:)

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Let's try this again. All things HAARP Machine.

And if this starts going the way of the last two people will get time off :lol:

RagtimeDandy

On a Musical Journey
Reaction score
SO I HEARD THAT AL...

I kid :hug:

Anyone know if the sitar used was electric or...acoustic? (I know literally nothing about sitars other than they sound cool and RIP Ravi Shankar)

NaYoN

Heavy Blog Is Heavy
Reaction score
SO I HEARD THAT AL...

I kid :hug:

Anyone know if the sitar used was electric or...acoustic? (I know literally nothing about sitars other than they sound cool and RIP Ravi Shankar)

I heard that the album liner notes says Al played it but it sounds really fake/digital and people I know who know Al said that he doesn't have a sitar or access to one.

DLG

not guthrie govan
Reaction score
I heard that the album liner notes says Al played it but it sounds really fake/digital and people I know who know Al said that he doesn't have a sitar or access to one.

really surprised that dude would lie about playing something....oh wait :wavey:

FeedMeWithColours

Reaction score
I loved this album beginning to end nothing to complain about from me every track had its own identity.

Also I loved that they endorse the websites that were put into the pamplet on the inside.

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
The lyrical content is admirable I think. Conspiracy theories are a nice change of pace. I'm hoping the next album has a little more poetry to the lyrics though -they are very dry and blunt as is. My least favorite part of the album for sure, but at least the vocal lines they wrote for the lyrics are awesome.

drmosh

Sir Paul of the Mosh
Contributor
Reaction score
While I do like the album, I feel it's missing a little something special to make it really good.
Hard to put my finger on

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
The lyrical content is admirable I think. Conspiracy theories are a nice change of pace. I'm hoping the next album has a little more poetry to the lyrics though -they are very dry and blunt as is. My least favorite part of the album for sure, but at least the vocal lines they wrote for the lyrics are awesome.

:agreed: When I finally picked up the booklet to check out the lyrics I was amazed hoe Mike Semesky gave them such a flow. There are some very awkward lines and words that he gave a melody. Huge respect for that guy!

Not all the lyrics are like that though. Some I find very poetic and are the peak in the song.

Extension To One:

Redesign society from the ground up
But this time make it actually humane
Be the change that you want to see in this world
Believe that we can achieve this in our lifetime

Pleiadian Keys:

I swear this fire won't burn
Skies screech bereave this universe
there is a plan for all in this world of reason
That you must find, That only you can find
You have a mission that is your own
It is your duty to seek it out

RagtimeDandy

On a Musical Journey
Reaction score
Why do you have to continually make a new thread for this band?

I haven't been around long enough to make an informed conclusion, but this forum actually shuts down redundant conversations. I'm used to 10-20 pages of random arguing on most forums :lol:

But what happens is people start arguing over something related to this band, continue said arguments for 5 pages...thread gets closed, new one opens, repeat. Personally, after the second thread I'd just leave it open to let the argument eventually dwindle, it's hard to just cut short debating. Lawrence Krauss says "Moderators always stop arguments right before they get good."

Of course I am not a mod and therefore have no say in the matter, so it's obviously up to the mods discretion when to stop the arguing/debating. :agreed:

Latest posts

')