The HAARP Machine Megathread

valder

Reaction score
I guess I get it. It just seems weird to me that mods would close a thread just because of negativity...even with the same, redundant arguments being made. Why hide what people seem to be feeling about a particular band...ya know?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's not about hiding people's opinions. We have the capability to delete those threads but we don't.

Threads get locked when they become toxic and uncivil. Things like name calling, leaving anonymous abusive neg. rep and reported posts are the kind of things that prompt a closing.

Danukenator

Kane's Bane
Reaction score
The real issue was that people weren't creating good arguments or having a discussion. It was basically just two camps that were going back in forth. It was unproductive and didn't allow people who actually wanted to talk about the band to do so.

OT:

I'm really liking what I'm hearing. Usually I'm not a fan of this style of music but it's really grabbed my attention. I especially like the drums, they really compliment the songs as opposed to just being a beat in the background.

Anant Naag

hate frets
Reaction score
Could someone illuminate how AL gets that clear as fuck tone ? Other then just awesome playing that is.

Fat-Elf

Banned
Reaction score
Could someone illuminate how AL gets that clear as fuck tone ? Other then just awesome playing that is.

Well, people have said here that the guitar tracks were recorded at half speed. Not sure if it's true but seems plausible. :rolleyes:

Edit: And not trying to be disrespectful towards Al. I don't care if he would have recorded the guitars note by note.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score

The real explanation will just end up with getting the thread closed again for the 3rd time since its a touchy subject but lets just say:
Low-output paf pickups, Axe-fx Ultra + studio magic

Have they played Lower the Populace live yet?

Danukenator

Kane's Bane
Reaction score
1335220616238.jpg

:lol: Really? Even after the mods just warned everybody?

Reaction score
I want an instrumental version of this album. I feel like I'd enjoy it more. Also, I agree with drmosh. Some riffs and sections are really neat but the songs as a whole just don't have that "wow factor" to me. *shrugs* Been giving it a huge chance by giving it a few listens. I just don't find myself saying "Ooh, I wanna listen to some HAARP." The vocals aren't bad. I just think HAARP's music was better suited to be instrumental IMO.

I think Voice Gajic and Al should make instrumental music together.

bhakan

Reaction score
The vocals are really what made the album stand out to me. I love the tech death style riffs, but I like clean vocals a lot more then screaming, so The HAARP Machine really hit the right note with me. I just wish there were more longer songs like Machine Over. That song is near perfection for me.

RagtimeDandy

On a Musical Journey
Reaction score
The vocals are really what made the album stand out to me. I love the tech death style riffs, but I like clean vocals a lot more then screaming, so The HAARP Machine really hit the right note with me. I just wish there were more longer songs like Machine Over. That song is near perfection for me.

Exactly. I;d find an instrumental version super boring :squint:

skisgaar

Master-debatur
Reaction score
I get why people like the lyrical content...but come on...it's the same sort of themes covered by Warrel Dane, but it's no where near as poetic, or as interestingly done IMO.

Sunyata

Bro Story Cool
Reaction score
Its not a competition though. At least it isn't about raping baby corpses or some shit...

Larrikin666

Deadite
Reaction score
Having stood in about 18" away from Al during their entire set in Pittsburgh, I'm pretty darn impressed with his right hand. Is he perfect? No. I wouldn't have caught the majority of his "errors" if the backing tracking wasn't there though. There were not massive, glaring mistakes. Just little things here and there. His right hand is seriously ridiculous. I'm always impressed by someone who can generate a lot of power with their upstroke. Al is probably one of the most impressive I've ever seen in that regard.

jakrentschler

Reaction score
The real explanation will just end up with getting the thread closed again for the 3rd time since its a touchy subject but lets just say:
Low-output paf pickups, Axe-fx Ultra + studio magic

Have they played Lower the Populace live yet?

He recorded the DI's with a gibson les paul studio and then sent them over to whoever produced the album to re-amp it with a 5150. At least, that's what Alex told me.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I get why people like the lyrical content...but come on...it's the same sort of themes covered by Warrel Dane, but it's no where near as poetic, or as interestingly done IMO.

Agreed that Warrel is an amazing lyricist but still, it's a welcome departure from the 'space lyrics', 'love lyrics' and 'fight people lyrics' that a lot of their contemporaries are tied to. :2c:

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
He recorded the DI's with a gibson les paul studio and then sent them over to whoever produced the album to re-amp it with a 5150. At least, that's what Alex told me.

Huh that's pretty interesting! I was also curious about what they were using for the guitar tones on this album, they sound super crisp and the chugging stuff is really tight/defined, but didn't sound like the more "generic" 5150 metal tone to me, so whoever they had re-amp it for them did a great job! :yesway:

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score

Cool, I didn't know that. I just read a post he left on facebook saying he used an Axe-Fx Ultra into Logic for guitar tones so presumed thats what he used.

')