The HAARP Machine Megathread

Fat-Elf

Banned
Reaction score
Man, that fight was intense. If something, it just made want to see them live just to see how well they play. :D

On the other news, does this band have any other songs beside Pleiadian Keys? Really neat song but I want more. :scream:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

djentinc

Banned
Reaction score
A friend of mine linked me to this thread, and I'm just gonna put my two cents in here.

Al, Nolly, Misha, you are ALL being ridiculous. All of you. Arguing over recording technicalities is ridiculous. Al, if you can pull it off live when you start playing live shows with the new lineup, then all these bullshit arguments about studio technique won't mean anything. It maybe would help those people feel at ease though if you posted a video of you playing a track from Disclosure where the audio all comes from a camera (like Misha's playthrough of MTD), but if you don't feel the need to do that, that's fine by me.

Misha, you are signed to the same label as THM (at least in the US anyway). It maybe would be better to take a more professional line and simply not discuss any issue you have with Al or any other members of THM on a public forum such as this. Nolly, the same advice applies to you.

I know that I'm not in a band/signed to a label etc. etc. etc. but I'm just using my common sense here, which some people in this scene/movement/whatever it is obviously seem to lack, especially when the internet is involved. I'm not taking sides here because, as I stated earlier in this message, this argument is completely and utterly ridiculous.

Cougs

Reaction score
Man, that fight was intense. If something, it just made want to see them live just to see how well they play. :D

On the other news, does this band have any other songs beside Pleiadian Keys? Really neat song but I want more. :scream:

djentinc

Banned
Reaction score

There are pre-pro demos and that "The Escapist Notion" playthrough, but no new songs from Disclosure as of yet. It's not long until the album comes out so it'll either get leaked soon or Sumerian will release a lyrics video or something in the next few weeks.

Fat-Elf

Banned
Reaction score
There are pre-pro demos and that "The Escapist Notion" playthrough, but no new songs from Disclosure as of yet. It's not long until the album comes out so it'll either get leaked soon or Sumerian will release a lyrics video or something in the next few weeks.

Cool. Apparently there is a chance to pre-order it. If the other songs are even half as good as Pleiadian Keys then this might be the album of the year. :cool:

reynoldsofski

Reaction score
Funny thing. I talked with your old drummer and never did he badmouth the band or in any way tried to get involved with any discussion anout the band. In fact, other ex-members who I've also talked to keep saying you are negative towards them. Who's telling the truth here Al?

This.

Nor have I spoke to FRANKDAVE (scar symmetry) about this.

Sweet

''It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me.''

Absolutely hilarious. Good luck.

Last edited:

Creech

Reaction score
Time for one of the old men to toss a nickel at this thread.

The logic of "he overdubbed, it sucks, I'm not buying it" is flawed. I appreciate your intent to keep things real, or pure, but let's be honest about a couple of things. You cannot say that a recording is what it sounds like in real life. I only have 24 bits of dynamic in digital, and in real life, we've got from a pin dropping to the globe cracking in half. Also, if I were to hold some of the bands out today, up to old standards, you all suck. Even Bulb and Nolly (don't get all butthurt, hold on, I'll explain).

In March/April 1959, 6 musicians walked into a recording studio. They spent two days playing TOGETHER in ONE ROOM and cut one of the greatest Jazz albums of all time. Miles Davis' Kind of Blue is that album. It has some of the greatest players to ever step foot on earth on it. These guys knew how to pull it off in one take, as a BAND. No one does that today. To track drums, yes, but most the time these days, drummers play to scratch tracks, and when the whole band does play, often the takes are gone after the fact; they're there just to help keep the drummer in form.

Look. This pro music thing, it's a business, like it or not. Your money is in your audience's pocket, and you need to figure out a way to get it out. If you can do that by Milli Vanilli'ing your way to it, good for you. I'd be careful of getting caught, cause if you do, it's over.

Heck, half the signed guitarists I've heard today would probably stand there shivering if you tried to trade 4's over a tune like Giant Steps. There's a lot of bullshit, bitch-ass, reasons people hate shit. "You know theory, you fag!" "Your not as talented as me, because I spent 6 days trying to figure out what was going on in that track, and you did it by cheating with ear training and theory." GTFO.

Put the song on. If you like it, awesome. If not, put one on you do like, and stop trying to justify why it's good. It's good because it resonates with you and that's all that matters.

And if you're in a signed band with an international audience, publicly criticizing another just makes you look like your ego is crumbling, to those of us who aren't 15 with their head up their ass. Cmon, you're way better than that.

isispelican

Reaction score
This is the internet, dont forget this. Half of Mishas posts in this thread are serious and the other half not and thats how everyones stance should be, if you take the internet too seriously you're not going to have a good time. Next thing you know is Al and Misha meet and become friends

slapnutz

Reaction score
Not sure if all this is serious or trolling... but heres a fact.

I personal didnt care about Haarp Machines music, I was well aware of the band.. but didnt listen to the music.

Now reading through this thread, I find I'm listening to their material more and more..... success?

Hankey

Reaction score
Time for one of the old men to toss a nickel at this thread.

I think you're kinda missing the point here. What most people here agree on is that it doesn't really matter what techniques you use for, or how you record a studio album, as long as it sounds good. If you're going for mechanical perfection, then by all means, use every trick in the book to achieve that result.

The problem however, is that a studio recording with several editing tricks (recording half speed, etc.) was used as a dub for a video advertisement for a particular brand of guitar. I and many others in this thread argue that if you're demo'ing a guitar or amp in a video, the sound should be as transparent as possible. Using a studio track over a mimed play through is not a good representation of said guitar or amp...

-Nolly-

Reaction score
I have no interest in pursuing this, despite the obvious baiting. In time I'm sure all will become self-evident

Creech

Reaction score
I have no interest in pursuing this, despite the obvious baiting. In time I'm sure all will become self-evident

Not baiting you Nolly, not at all. I'm merely pointing out the fact that if we were to judge everyone based on the way they record, no one, other than those who can nail an entire song in one take, would be good.

...and don't weigh in on things like this; Periphery's criticism of a band like HAARP (same demographic) can be perceived to be the act of a threatened ego.

..and Hankey. I didn't miss that point, I didn't address it. I'm addressing those of us who would say something sucks JUST because of the way it was tracked. Regarding the FACT (cmon, use your ears, it's definitely a studio recording) that they used a recording doesn't really bother me. When I first saw that video, I wasn't really focused on the sound of the guitar, or even the player. I think that video is to showcase Ola's talent for design and construction.
(Ok, I admit, I did focus on the player for a second, I wondered how well he's going to do in the US Marketplace, given that headgear and the amount of meatheads we have here, who would ban something because of a hat.)

ROAR

oaf tobar
Reaction score
Yea I'm sure Misha and Nolly don't have anything better
to do than tend to their threatened ego.
Fucking please,
when can people get over this shit and just
either listen to the music, or don't!
It's a band, not the Truman Show.

Creech

Reaction score
Yea I'm sure Misha and Nolly don't have anything better
to do than tend to their threatened ego.
Fucking please,
when can people get over this shit and just
either listen to the music, or don't!
It's a band, not the Truman Show.

I don't really care if they're ego is hurt or not. It can be perceived that way...which means, one could see it that way. That statement doesn't even say I believe their ego is hurt, it means I could see how someone could see it that way. If it doesn't matter, why post about it, ROAR. There is a reason they care, we just don't know what it is. Maybe it's because they're outing someone. If so, bad show, because they're on the same label. Honestly, I'm of the crowd that didn't give a fuck about Al's playing, I don't particularly care for it, personal pref. If this thread never happened, I wouldn't even know Al as the guitarist in HAARP, I might not even know about them. When I saw the Strandberg vid, beyond the thought about demographics in the US, I only saw him to be the lucky schmuck to have his number called by Ola. Most of his shit doesn't seem to follow a chord progression, it's just random scale and arpeggio runs played fast. That may be your thing, that's cool, it's just not me.

Reaction score
I don't really care if they're ego is hurt or not. It can be perceived that way...which means, one could see it that way. That statement doesn't even say I believe their ego is hurt, it means I could see how someone could see it that way. If it doesn't matter, why post about it, ROAR. There is a reason they care, we just don't know what it is. Maybe it's because they're outing someone. If so, bad show, because they're on the same label. Honestly, I'm of the crowd that didn't give a fuck about Al's playing, I don't particularly care for it, personal pref. If this thread never happened, I wouldn't even know Al as the guitarist in HAARP, I might not even know about them. When I saw the Strandberg vid, beyond the thought about demographics in the US, I only saw him to be the lucky schmuck to have his number called by Ola. Most of his shit doesn't seem to follow a chord progression, it's just random scale and arpeggio runs played fast. That may be your thing, that's cool, it's just not me.

Doof.....

ROAR

oaf tobar
Reaction score
Anyways, I'm stoked to hear the rest of this record.
I'm still a little on the fence with Pleiadian Keys.
Is there a tracklist somewhere?

ncfiala

Silence you bastard
Reaction score
I figured I'd see why this thread was getting longer and longer and I got treated to a conspiracy theory, although I guess I should have expected that given the thread's title. People can record their music any way they want to, but they shouldn't misrepresent what they are doing.

Personally, I'm so sick of the super tight, compressed, overly processed sound of a lot of metal these days. Metal is turning into computer music. I guess some metal could already be considered computer music. How long will it be until it's just a bunch of perfectly timed blips and bleeps (some of it already sounds like that).

I long for some metal that is human. Raw, loose, and with some slop. Guys that just get into a room to play together and record an album in one take.

')