The HAARP Machine Megathread

Dan Halen

Reaction score
Nahhh man, chugstep :hbang:!

'Swot I'm calling the thing they do in every song on the album but one and it always happens at some point inbetween the 0:40 and 1:20 mark.

And what I mean about cool peoples' music is that this style seems to be in vogue at the moment:

Very straight contrapuntal riffs.

Chugstep club metal.

Angsty/exaggerated emotional vocals and plinky, culturally sensitive, atmospheric strings of some description - guitar or alternative fretted wood.

Like this:
TESSERACT - Concealing Fate Part 2 - Deception - YouTube

But only with cool people.

I think rather than complaining about how much you hate the album, you could just give it regular old review. on whether it's good or bad. that's the kind of opinion that really counts. if there's some sort of derogatory remarks like "this is gay/sounds like dick because its trendy" then that's rude. but if you have an honest opinion even if it's negative then that's whats really appriciated

But yah there ARE a lot of bands that are coming out that have a Prog edge to them. just like in the 80's there were a bunch of metal bands that were like Metallica and Megadeth and Anthrax. and just the same with the 90's. It happens every 10 years no matter what theres always going to be that eye opening "omg I've always wanted to play music like that" bunch of people in the decade that the forerunner band(s) have behind them. it's not trendy it's just that genre's time to be experienced.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sinborn

Tube Guru
Reaction score
if this album makes me a "cool person" who listens to "club metal", then I'm guilty as charged. Same goes for listening to Tesseract.

TheOddGoat

Reaction score
That feel when people take a completely different and opposite inference from what you write instead of what you meant to imply...

What I mean is that it feels to me like it's written to aim at these things and I find it extremely difficult not to think "oh, they must have arranged it this way because so and so does it that way and they're popular." Like it's written to be trendy or edgy (same feeling I get from their name), not necessarily that this hypothetical group of trendy, "cool people" listen to it.

You know those labelled diagrams of "X"-kid? Take one of those for a "bro-metal type person who also watches anime" and it feels to me like it was written with that audience as a target...

Now, I also don't think they actually did this - but that's the feeling it gave me when I listened to it and I have no control over that.

The only reason I post is to see how other people feel and maybe see if their experience will change my mind and how I listen to it - it's in my interest to enjoy something I spent money on :lol:.

Part of why I've started liking it a bit more is because I've been looking for a sound that just isn't there, now that I listen to it more as if it were electronic music it makes more sense.

I don't believe there's any such thing as good and bad in music, just how it makes you react.

What is bad in my opinion is the disappointment I felt because I bought it based on hype that it was going to be something that it wasn't (yeah that's down to me :ugh:).

I like it, but don't love it. The reaction I get from it is "cool", but that's it. No other feelings or emotions.

Which isn't wrong or bad, just not what I'm looking for.

(Incidentally I also found a video where the guy definitely is playing live so we know he can if you haven't seen it The Varberg Story | The HAARP Machine - YouTube)

DLG

not guthrie govan
Reaction score
Take one of those for a "bro-metal type person who also watches anime" and it feels to me like it was written with that audience as a target...

I'm going to start a blog targeting this audience. seems like there's money to be made.

RagtimeDandy

On a Musical Journey
Reaction score
Band too good. We are not worthy!!!

Seriously, I've been listening to this album on and off for a month now and it's a really nice breath of fresh air in the metal bubble

Misanthropy

Kebab Enthusiast
Reaction score
Trivium's Ascendancy was definitely one of the many inspiration for al`s guitar playing in the early years possibly lyrically too :)
The monuments/after the burial gig looks too awesome to miss.
Also the vocal parts on the ending of from Vanity to utility is just epic.

AndyLunt

Reaction score
So they're going to be playing shows within the next couple of days, I await lurking youtube for some live videos to pop up!

anomynous

Reaction score
Anybody see them tonight?

I guess it was the "official" debut of the line up.

chevymeister

Reaction score
Can't believe these guys are coming to Windsor. Definitely going to be seeing them, especially with The Faceless...

ROAR

oaf tobar
Reaction score
Not bad, looks like Al is having some technical difficulties!
Still... this should start putting some rumors away

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
I'm surprised he isn't using his Axe-Fx live. The start sounded really tight but the technical difficulties caused a lot of problems for Al.

ROAR

oaf tobar
Reaction score
Yea I thought he'd be using an Axe Fx too.
Someone tell Al to join SS so we can bother him
with questions all day, like poor Misha

')