The HAARP Machine Megathread

jakrentschler

Reaction score
Cool, I didn't know that. I just read a post he left on facebook saying he used an Axe-Fx Ultra into Logic for guitar tones so presumed thats what he used.

I'm pretty sure Al doesn't have an axe-fx, otherwise he'd be using it on tour instead of using an EVH 5150 III.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Slunk Dragon

Gear Nerder
Reaction score
Isn't it obvious? Al used the hax.

But in all seriousness, I have mad respect for a guy who has the balls to write music that challenging and still try to play it live. Sure he makes mistakes, but for what it's worth I think he's still a very good guitarist who's still pushing himself to do better. I'm digging the music, and I'm totally jelly of his Varberg guitar. He's a far better guitarist than I probably ever will be.

This thread totally needs to get renamed 'The HAARP Machine Megathread: This Time It's Personal'

Sunyata

Bro Story Cool
Reaction score
Is that a rhetorical question?

For all the supposed conspiracy obsession, lyrically the album is basically Gandhi-core...

Larrikin666

Deadite
Reaction score
Al hasn't been using a 5150 III.....those belong to Revocation. He's using a Peavey 3120 that I believe is a rental. Some people don't want to carry their $2000 Axe-FX across the ocean.

Xiphos68

Reaction score
Sweet, I've never heard of that guy before but that's good to know! If he did the mix and re-amp on the album, major kudos to him, it SOUNDS fantastic! :wub:

He re-amped Red Seas Fire first EP as well and it sounds massive.

He's great at what he does.

:yesway:

K3V1N SHR3DZ

Reaction score
When I saw them in STL on Dec 10th, it looked like a Peavey JSX.
The playing was GREAT, but it had to be one of the worst mixes I've ever heard.

I don't know if it was a local sound guy or not, 'cause the opening band of 16yo kids, The Engineered, and The Faceless sounded good. Revocation and The Gorge had bad mixes typical of metal shows. HAARP, on the other hand....

The drums were super hi-fi and clearly taking up all the frequency real estate. Sounded amazing, but they were SO FUCKING LOUD, to the point that the snare drowned out everything else. I like a tight, high-tuned snare sound, and this was killing me.

Typical overpowering bass guitar.

Vocals were EQed really wierd, almost like a wah %75 closed. I was expecting them to cut really well, but they got absolutely lost in the mix.

Guitar tone was just abysmal. Thin as hell, and you could barely hear anything even when it was just Al.

I was super excited to see them, as I already knew Revocation and THE FACELESS would be phenomenal.
Was hoping for some tech-gasm, but left with blue balls.

[edit] Okay maybe not blue balls. The Faceless absolutely killed it.

aturaya

Reaction score
^ At least you got to see Al play. When I went it was the last day of the tour and they said Al was sick, so they just played the backing track. I mainly went for the faceless, but I wanted to see Al play at least. They were still pretty good. The vocalist was practically pitch perfect.

morgasm7

Reaction score
It seems very strange to me that people aren't allowed to talk about the things they actually want to discuss, on a supposedly public forum.
Bit of a joke really, but hey.

Haarp should write a track about the sevenstring.org censorship conspiracy.

bhakan

Reaction score
It seems very strange to me that people aren't allowed to talk about the things they actually want to discuss, on a supposedly public forum.
If you want to talk about the merits of using "studio magic" to play tighter, there is a thread- The "Half Speed Recording" Debate. It's just twice before, when The HAARP Machine threads get to talking about it, it turns into a shitstorm with name calling and no actual discussion.

cfrank

Reaction score
He recorded the DI's with a gibson les paul studio and then sent them over to whoever produced the album to re-amp it with a 5150. At least, that's what Alex told me.

:agreed: Quote from the man himself:

I never heard any recorded tones, they only handed me DIs.
The final reamp was Mark IV and 5150 Voodoo modded.
On the first reamp I did (Long story) it was 5150III and Bogner Uberschall Twin Jet.

Though i think all the leads were the Varberg > Axe-Fx Ultra.

Also, anyone who has seen them live can comment on how loud their backing track is?
That intro riff sounds so different without those weedly meedly's in it :lol:

Necropitated

Reaction score
So here's another cover of The HAARP Machine.
A full playthrough of The Escapist Notion. I changed
the fingering of the second riff. It's more like he plays it live.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Haarp should write a track about the sevenstring.org censorship conspiracy.

If you want to write pages and pages of posts saying the same thing over and over slagging a band feel free to go post on harmony central. Enjoy the laugh about your joke, see you when you get back. Might want to read the forum rules when you return.

If you want to talk about the merits of using "studio magic" to play tighter, there is a thread- The "Half Speed Recording" Debate. It's just twice before, when The HAARP Machine threads get to talking about it, it turns into a shitstorm with name calling and no actual discussion.

:yesway:

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
I thought Dez or whatever his name is from the safety fire did some of the recording for this or something, he definitely has an Axe FX, I've seen them live several times.

anomynous

Reaction score
Misha posted some clip on their page a few days ago, it got deleted. A few hours ago he posted on their page about how it was deleted, and whoever runs the page blocked him from posting on there anymore.

')