The Halo Effect (a bunch of ex-In Flames, including Mikael Stanne and Jesper Strömblad)

• Thread starter Xaios
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

adriangrizzly

Reaction score
Conditional gave me goosebumps. Did not see that riff coming.

Only halfway through but the record is pretty good so far.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
Gave the album a spin, and so far not very excited unfortunately. There are good parts in there for sure, but the big picture is just too generic. I like the new In Flames songs more than this. But I'll give it another chance, maybe a few extra spins will change my opinion.

Dr. Caligari

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Not my thing. There's not much in these songs that catches my attention. It's music alright but it just moves along without making me feel anything. It's too bland. And the production doesn't help. That too is too bland.

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score

Sidenote: Is anybody else get triggered when bands have two different brands of the same style of guitar? Like here we have the ESP Vulture with a Gibson V. I've seen some bands have a Jackson RR and an ESP Arrow or SV. I've seen a Les Paul and an Eclipse. Very upsetting. :lol:

makesexnotwar

Reaction score
I think it's an album of the year for me. When I listened it I heard exactly what I expected to hear and I like it a lot!

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Man that's a shitty band name not gonna lie.

SeventyFour

Reaction score
I have followed along with the single releases and enjoyed a lot more than anything else in the genre recently. The full album holds true on the whole in my opinion

BrutalRob

Reaction score
stopped listening half way through.that stuff now is sure better than anything in flames or dark tranquility released in the last years. but this cannot touch those bands´older stuff. it just sounds like it has all been there already, but done better in the past

works0fheart

Tike Myson
Reaction score
Was listening to this a moment ago and I actually was enjoying it, but it just feels like something is missing. It's definitely better than a lot of people are saying but it's also not as good as the sum of its parts (the members past projects). I'm going to give it more listens though since I think it does have some cool stuff going on with it.

Really it made me want to listen to Projector by Dark Tranquility or old In Flames instead lol. It's a little hard for these guys to top songs like Freecard, Jotun, Artifacts of the Black Rain, or anything off of Damage Done or Character.

The thing is that I'm trying to keep in mind is all of these guys wrote their best material nearly 20 years ago. For them to put out something like The Halo Effect now is more than I could have asked for and it's definitely better than anything else they've been on in recent years.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Finally got to listen to it. Pretty much old In Flames but with a more metalcore sound to it. Not like 2000s/2010s in flames, definitely sounds way better than that :lol:

KailM

Reaction score
I haven’t listened to any of these songs more than once. It’s just generic and doesn’t even approach old IF or DT.

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
So far doesnt do much for me. If it were released 20 years ago it would sound generic and like they were ripping off IF.

I have never liked DTs vocalist. I think someone else nailed why... Very one dimensional and my ears get tired

Dr. Caligari

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have never liked DTs vocalist. I think someone else nailed why... Very one dimensional and my ears get tired

I actually think he is a great singer but it just feels like he is a bit too much on autopilot these days. Like he doesn't work as much with finding interesting phrasings and dynamics. On The Gallery he would really emphasize certain lines with real intensity. Now everything sounds more like a straight line. Although to be fair he had very interesting and dynamic songs to work with on that album.

CLONE

Reaction score
Getting Prisoners In Paradise by Europe vibes from the riff 2:30 in The Most Alone

')