The Hass Effect

• Thread starter Chri
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
No. REAL MEN centitrack their songs:

But seriously, this trick is only of use in live situations in my opinion. Meshuggah does it on the Alive-album and it works great there.
But it just doesn't make sense doing it in the studio.

I think you mean hectotrack, you mean 100 tracks. Because centitrack is 1/100th guitar tracks. :agreed:

100 tracks? Overkill! :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Customisbetter

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Contributor
Reaction score
^I can't imagine how low you would need to have those tracks to not overload the output...

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
And also the absolute waste in processing power. :lol:

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
In agreement with everyone else, that method is just something to completely avoid. I personally double track because I've found even with the tightest playing quad tracking still takes away from that growling "chainsaw" sound I like - but many modern day recordings do multiple layers successfully so I dunno. But for the copy and paste shit it creates more problems then it's worth, usually major phasing issues. As Customisbetter said, using a shift of a few milliseconds does lead to a track that feels adjusted to one side.

Double or multiple tracking is the only real way to go.

Rev.

budule

Reaction score
And what about "false quad tracking"?

1 guitar on 100% left + the hass effect panned on 80% left
1 guitar on 100% right + the hass effect panned on 80% right

Plankis

Reaction score
And what about "false quad tracking"?

1 guitar on 100% left + the hass effect panned on 80% left
1 guitar on 100% right + the hass effect panned on 80% right

What's the point? The idea with this trick is to create a stereo sound from a single source. What you're doing is just introducing more phase issues.

MixingTipsOrg

Reaction score
Hello fellows.

The technique described above is just an alternative to actual double tracking.
In fact, nothing beats double tracking. Haas Effect is recommended for a lazy guy (as one member described above) or for any other reason that you cant dual track.

Quad tracking is better to use on slow palm muted stuff and double tracking for quick stuff. You can quad track quick stuff too, if you are super tight or you'll experience some phase problems.

Cheers:metal:

The Distortionist

Reaction score
One way that I have used this technique is by recording two rhythm guitar tracks (panned 75% right and 75% left.) Take the left track, copy it, and paste it 100% right with a 5-10 ms delay and a LP filter on it. I then do the same for the right track. I usually have the copied tracks at least 5 dB lower than the original guitar tracks. The end result, if tweaked according to the mix, can be very huge.

Reaction score
Audio Mixing: tools, concepts and practices (I think that is the book) goes over this in detail. It is a great book actually. I have used it myself and it lends itself to making guitars sound bigger. It has to do with the sound arriving at you're ears at different times. Ive found that the effect will be enhanced or degraded based on how the cab is mic'd or what Impulse you are using.

Xifter

Reaction score
So just to clarify... when double tracking... is it best to create 2 tracks, one mono panned left and and one mono panned right ? Or do I make 2 stereo tracks panning 1 left and one right?

I am recording direct using axe-fx btw. Thanks :metal:

')