The Heavy Metal Ninjas (NZ ibby shredders)

• Thread starter xCaptainx
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Nour Ayasso

Reaction score
I'd not exactly call it "creative", he borrows a lot (including vibrato) from Steve Vai. Which is a good thing. Great band!
Actually, I didn't say it was creative so I don't know why you quoted that. I was just pointing out that the play through helped me understand how the solo was performed so I found it interesting. But nonetheless yes it is great :lol:
Even if he is borrowing, he is applying those techniques right. I think he has morphed Vai's approach into his own. The note choices are absolutely Richie Allen.

I'm surprised he isn't mentioned much around SSO ... as yet. He is regarded highly as a player in NZ.
I don't see any borrowing besides some of those obvious, tremolo bar, vai moments. Imo vibratos and tremolo bar usage really shouldn't belong to anyone, but that's just how I feel.

Maybe this thread will fatten up and he'll become more popular around here. Hopefully he makes an account as well. :yesway:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

drmosh

Sir Paul of the Mosh
Contributor
Reaction score
I'd not exactly call it "creative", he borrows a lot (including vibrato) from Steve Vai. Which is a good thing. Great band!

I think you're so very wrong on that. What he is "borrowing" is simply technique, anyone can learn that. His writing, approach and solos are totally recognisable to me as his. He also has plenty of "quirks" in his playing that are unique to him

HoneyNut

Regular
Reaction score
I don't see any borrowing besides some of those obvious, tremolo bar, vai moments. Imo vibratos and tremolo bar usage really shouldn't belong to anyone, but that's just how I feel.

Exactly my point! Richie has a pretty distinctive style developing(/developed) with those Evos! :bowdown:

xCaptainx

Dr Djodson
Reaction score
TBH I don't care about 'borrowed' technique. He *nails* it. Flawless execution and an incredibly refreshing sound for ERG compositions. I haven't heard any notable bands doing traditional lead work over 8 strings, much less any doing it so well.

Their rhythm guitarist is also a monster of a guitar player.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbjfL_G0l54

And their bassist too haha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SI_Bn0_FDXs

Received some helpful Hirayoshi tips from Brandon a while back, started incorporating it into my bands lead work. Very helpful. Not going to even bother linking in a thread with their work in it, hahaha.

starslight

Gimme that wheat!
Reaction score
Received some helpful Hirayoshi tips from Brandon a while back, started incorporating it into my bands lead work. Very helpful. Not going to even bother linking in a thread with their work in it, hahaha.

Could you possibly list a song or two of theirs that uses it? That's one of those scales I've never been able to figure out how to use.

porknchili

G.A.S.ITIS
Reaction score
I've been a big fan of HMN for a few years and Richie Allen is one of my favorite guitar players (probably one of my top 10, if not top 5 influences for lead guitar). Extremely underrated player along with everyone else in the band.

Side note: I tabbed out the Author if anyone cares and I'm tabbing out Propulsion and Istagey too.

jvms

Reaction score
I've been a big fan of HMN for a few years and Richie Allen is one of my favorite guitar players (probably one of my top 10, if not top 5 influences for lead guitar). Extremely underrated player along with everyone else in the band.

Side note: I tabbed out the Author if anyone cares and I'm tabbing out Propulsion and Istagey too.

I sure as hell do! that's really awesome! Could you share them with us?

Thorerges

Reaction score

He's not underrated, he's just arrived to the global scene so to speak. They have what, a single album? Getting recognition takes an enormous amount of work.

Jarzombek is someone I would say is underrated, he's been part of the craziest, most musically intense and novel bands, but because they're instrumental projects influenced by extreme metal, it doesn't pick up as much. It's not that he's bad, he has incredible vision and ability, it's just not that popular after all these years.

Ritchie will eventually make magazine covers. He has some of the best phrasing I have ever heard, an incredible songwriter and seems like an all around nice guy.

TheShreddinHand

Uber Stringer
Reaction score

Uh, yes please!

Anyone know where I can buy their EP that came out before Interstellar?

Nour Ayasso

Reaction score

putnut77

Reaction score
I cant get enough of his playing. Melodyk is such a good tune. Now I want an Ibanez RGD!

CrushingAnvil

Ironically enough, now in Jesus Land
Reaction score
I'm afraid this is going to be a classic Crushing Anvil post:

I've never been impressed with these guys. It all just sounds so samey :shrug:

CrushingAnvil

Ironically enough, now in Jesus Land
Reaction score
I just realized you don't have any custom Ibanez guitars. Why is that? | ask.fm/heavymetalninja

So I asked this earlier today because I realized all of Richie's guitars have been modded by him, which is cool n ...., but why wouldn't he just order a custom? And then here we go...
Has anyone ever heard of an Ibanez endorsee not being able to get a custom build? Like is it common for an artist to get a contract with not custom support?

I think he has a lower-tier endorsement at this stage. I think he still pays for his guitars. Like, he doesn't pay full price. Maybe less than cost price.

Nour Ayasso

Reaction score
^ I totally get that, and as awesome as getting any Ibby under the standard price is, it's unfortunate that I have to say they shouldn't be doing that to any of their artists. You're either an artist or you're not I don't see why Ibanez would try to low ball a freaking endorsement. And from a business aspect, the one damn reason to endorse Ibanez is to acquire a custom build, and they're not doing that for him. Like I said I don't want to seem ignorant, because I understand levels of endorsements and such, but this just seems like bull. Maybe if I knew what the contract was then I would have something different to say. Anyway, why do you think it sounds "samey" ...? (and what do you mean by samey xD)

Latest posts

')