The Holoflash 7620

• Thread starter Djent
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Djent

Obviously!
Reaction score
So this project evolved from my 7620 that was covered up in painter's tape (you've probably seen it), waiting for me to whip up an idea for it. After sanding off the finish, and pondering ideas, I finally decided to get some holographic film and holoflash it like a Kramer or Spector.

I've already ordered the film, the finishing supplies, and all the new hardware that I need (BKP Painkiller, CTS pot, and Switchcraft jack), as well as filling in the neck pup slot, volume pot hole (pot's going in the tone hole), and 5-way hole. Next comes the tricky part - deciding what to do with the crazy EMG route that I made.

I'm also applying a new decal to the headstock (and probably holoflashing it as well), as well as applying a tung oil finish to the neck. I already scalloped frets 21-24, and I'm considering a Cooley scoop.

My only problem is that the pickup doesn't exactly line up with the strings. I had to sink in the pup tab area to lower the pup to get it to a reasonable height.

Questions that I have:
1. Would it just be easier to use a pickup ring than trying to fill in the routes?
2. Is it fine that the pole pieces don't exactly line up? It only gets skewed toward the bottom strings.
3. Am I the first to holoflash my Ibby 7?

It's really coming forward. Pics will come later on...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HighPotency

Reaction score
1) Probably. I've heard about the pickup tab issue in 7620s is pretty common. Your call, though.
2) Not really, but if you're kind of OCD like I am, it'll probably drive you nuts when it catches your eye.
3) 7? Maybe. I wouldn't bet on it, though.

Djent

Obviously!
Reaction score
Picture time!!!

I'm getting a pickup ring from Frets On The Net to fill in the routes.
Sadly, when I put the first coat of clear coat on, the slight acetone content in the clear coat caused the paint to run a bit. It looks a bit different in the area below the bridge, but the rest looks the same.

Here we go:
DSC_2807.jpg

DSC_2816.jpg

DSC_2817.jpg

DSC_2820.jpg

DSC_2821.jpg

DSC_2825.jpg

DSC_2830.jpg

DSC_2831.jpg

DSC_2832.jpg

DSC_2835.jpg

skeels

..to pay the beels
Reaction score
Nothing like the "holoflash" finishes that I've seen.

Nothing.

That, sir, kicks ass.

L1ght

Truth Over Triumph
Reaction score
MY GOD. IT'S FULL OF COLORS.

Slight Space Odyssey reference. :) But it accurately describes how I felt when I saw the pictures.

Djent

Obviously!
Reaction score
How I did it:
Just got holoflash material from universaljems.com. Followed instructions here:
Project Guitar :: Holoflash finish

NOTE: Most of the photos were taken with a flash, and all were given the Lightroom treatment, and the color balances were affected a tad, but it looks just as good in person, especially under direct light (stage lighting could really pop out the full spectrum on this thing).

I mentioned above how the clear coat made the paint run a bit (due to the acetone in the clear coat). Some photos to illustrate this are below. Note that a couple more coats of clear need to go on at the moment (the clear has not been sanded yet), then the long process of sanding begins, with three coats of clear and many days of drying in between.

You can see how the design is softer towards the top of the photo...
DSC_2844.jpg

The running was especially bad on the cutaway...
DSC_2842.jpg

Same problem with the headstock...
DSC_2836.jpg

A shot, sans flash...
DSC_2847.jpg

One more shot of the body...
DSC_2837.jpg

')