The Human Abstract Megathread!

ScottyB724

Reaction score
I was in attendance at the Rave tonight. The vocals weren't exactly the best, but they weren't that bad, and as usual it was pretty hard to hear the singing in the live mix. The rest of the band was spot on though.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nojyeloot

Reaction score
^
YES IT IS sir. I'm on track 6 - Holographic Sight right now. This album is VERY good. A nice return to the Nocturne side of tHA. REALLY like the new vox too.

The Reverend

GHETTO KING OF SWAG
Reaction score
I'm depressed. I had such high hopes for this album, and the return of AJ, and it didn't live up to my expectations. It's not even the vocals, which I've said before bothered me. I feel like on some tracks, AJ is showboating without really adding much to the song. Other than that, the instrumental work is way, way, waaayyyyyyy better than Midheaven.

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
I'm depressed. I had such high hopes for this album, and the return of AJ, and it didn't live up to my expectations. It's not even the vocals, which I've said before bothered me. I feel like on some tracks, AJ is showboating without really adding much to the song. Other than that, the instrumental work is way, way, waaayyyyyyy better than Midheaven.

I'm (very slightly) dissapointed too. This is too much like Nocturne and not enough like Midheaven. I'm probably the only one who wasn't excited about AJ's return and the subsequent booting of Tapley. Notcturne was just another core-record to me, but I thought Midheaven was brilliant. Even if you didn't like it, you have to admit it was much more unique than Nocturne. And yeah, AJ is a showboat. Why do you think he's all glamor muscles? :lol:

jymellis

Talk To DeWalt
Reaction score
i just saw them other night with ibnzrg. i dont know what band they where though. iwas there for born of osiris. i liked most of the bands that played that night

DLG

not guthrie govan
Reaction score
I think I'm in the minority, but I like Midheaven. I like them with more singing, more pop oriented with better songs.

When they try to tech it up they sound like a poor man's BTBAM or PTH imo.

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
I think I'm in the minority, but I like Midheaven. I like them with more singing, more pop oriented with better songs.

When they try to tech it up they sound like a poor man's BTBAM or PTH imo.

:agreed:

The songs on Midheaven were just much more interesting.

I like the new album, but I feel like they abandoned a lot of the aspects of Midheaven that made them unique.

The Reverend

GHETTO KING OF SWAG
Reaction score
I'm (very slightly) dissapointed too. This is too much like Nocturne and not enough like Midheaven. I'm probably the only one who wasn't excited about AJ's return and the subsequent booting of Tapley. Notcturne was just another core-record to me, but I thought Midheaven was brilliant. Even if you didn't like it, you have to admit it was much more unique than Nocturne. And yeah, AJ is a showboat. Why do you think he's all glamor muscles? :lol:

Midheaven was definitely unique. I can't really think of many albums with a similar sound. With that said, though, Nocturne had some great neo-classical runs, and some epic parts (the chorus of Vela comes to mind).

This latest effort sounds like someone is trying to cover Nocturne to me. It's almost like AJ is ripping off himself or something. :noplease:

Also, :flex:

Lukifer

Need more gain
Reaction score
I agree that Midheaven, while not Nocturne, was still a good album. Its like when Metallica put out Load. Sure its not Master of Puppets but I still thought it was a great album. I dont know the whole story about Tapley going and AJ coming back, but seems like they just said AJ is back, bye. Tapley was a fantastic guitar player and a cool dude. I havent listened to all of the new album yet but I heard a few songs and liked them so far.

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I really like the new album. It's an excellent progish-metal record. It just lacks the quirkiness of Midheaven which made it not so straight forward metal. :shrug:

Lukifer

Need more gain
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I really like the new album. It's an excellent progish-metal record. It just lacks the quirkiness of Midheaven which made it not so straight forward metal. :shrug:

I think thats what I like about THA. They werent the standard metal. They could shred but they had catchy song writing and the quirkiness. They were very hard to compare to another band sound wise.

Double A

Subhuman
Reaction score
I have never listened to anything by these guys until this album and I usually do not like my metal with this style of singing unless it is Opeth. That said, I really, really like this album, some of the guitar work is amazing and I think some of the vocals are amazing as well, mostly the huge amount of layering going on.

7/10 for me, really enjoyable album.

wannabguitarist

Contributor
Reaction score
I keep trying to sit through the whole album on that AOL stream but I find myself changing it to something else after 1 or 2 songs. I liked the all the album previews and whatnot but something about the final product doesn't really grab me like their first 2 albums did :(

The McThief

The Boss Man
Reaction score
I'm not crazy about every single track, but overall I'd give this album maybe a 6.5 out of 10. It's cool and heavy, but some of the twiddly twiddlys seem pretty unnecessary sometimes (i.e. the beginning sweep-tap thing on digital veil. it just seems out of place, and kinda show off-ish). But others like Complex Terms and Holographic Sight are great :)

Ryan666213

Reaction score
They played a 3 song set in St Louis and I got a couple video's from it. Stupid battery on my camera kept dying. They were badass though!

ToniS

Chool Whhhip
Reaction score
Loving the new album, but in all honesty, do you really have to play sweep arpeggios in the middle of everything?

Cmon AJ. They do get pretty boring.

')