The Ibanez 7 Club!

Azwethinkwedo

Gay Cage Fighter
Reaction score
I thinking the 7321 is going to be my first 7, What pickups would everyone reccomend for a nice heavy tone.. I play in a sort of metal/death/hardcore band and we want to move onto 7 strings. My other guitarist has a jackson dinky 7 which is quite nice. But i've always been partial to RG's, they were my first love. =]

I have a bare knuckle warpig (bridge) and SD Jazz (neck) in my 6 string RG at the moment which I like, But i'm open to trying new pickups, maybe dimarzio. Or another set of bare knuckles when I have a spare £200.

I play through a peavey Valve king if this helps in your reccomendation.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

aleXander

BlackByPopularDemand
Reaction score
It's being painted.
I've been looking at another 7420 that I'm going to put a veneer on. MAYBE.
I've had an idea brewin' in my head for some flame maple and it'll be awesome if it'll work.

JaeSwift

Of Blood and Sawdust
Reaction score
Can I quickly hijack the thread a little and ask the esteemed RG 7420 club about the quality of the 7420 vs. the 7620? I might be able to purchase one that I will most likely be making a replacement body for, but I'de like to know how good the neck holds up over the years and how good/bad the trem is.

snowblind56

Reaction score
Can I quickly hijack the thread a little and ask the esteemed RG 7420 club about the quality of the 7420 vs. the 7620? I might be able to purchase one that I will most likely be making a replacement body for, but I'de like to know how good the neck holds up over the years and how good/bad the trem is.

Same guitar body and neck. RG7420 has different pickups and an awful trem compared to the trem on the RG7620.

snowblind56

Reaction score
01082011767.jpg

Probably going to repaint it white sometime this spring/summer. maybe add some Rageguy graphics, too :)

Everything is stock right now, but I have D Activators in the mail and a megaswitch from stewmac coming.

Repainting that would be a shame. That thing looks mint. At least buy a crapped out body on ebay to repaint and sell me that one. :agreed:

aleXander

BlackByPopularDemand
Reaction score

They have the same neck. The necks used on the 7620's were used for the 7420s. They do have different trems though, the 7420 has a Lo-Trs trem in it. Some people love it, some dont. They're both great guitars and pretty much the same thing other than the trem system.

ZeroS1gnol

Reaction score
They have the same neck. The necks used on the 7620's were used for the 7420s. They do have different trems though, the 7420 has a Lo-Trs trem in it. Some people love it, some dont. They're both great guitars and pretty much the same thing other than the trem system.

I wonder if it would be possible to fit a lo pro edge in the 7420 without too much hassle...I own a 7420, which is a great guitar, but the trem needs to be adjusted like two times a year. Such a hassle, so I blocked it with a tremol-no.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I wonder if it would be possible to fit a lo pro edge in the 7420 without too much hassle...I own a 7420, which is a great guitar, but the trem needs to be adjusted like two times a year. Such a hassle, so I blocked it with a tremol-no.

It takes a nice amount of work to shoe horn a Lo-Pro Edge into the route for a Lo-TRS. It's not impossible, but it's certainly not a drop-in replacement. If you want a better trem the best two options are a TRS-Pro which is another Takeuchi made trem, but made with better materials, or getting an OFR7. Those will both drop in much easier than a Lo-Pro Edge 7.

Honestly though, if adjust the trem twice a year is a "hassle" then there's no trem system on this planet that you'll be truly happy with. Also worth mentioning, for a few hundred more than an OFR7 you could probably find an RG7620 in decent shape.

coupe89

Reaction score
coupe89-albums-guitars-picture26-a.jpg

Here is my 7420 with a 7620 neck, JB in the bridge and 59 in the neck.

malufet

ss.org Irregular
Reaction score
I love this guitar, the neck is perfect for me. Plus my k-7 is too nice to bring into shitty clubs. lol

IMG_5609.jpg

IMG_5608.jpg

IMG_5607.jpg

IMG_5606.jpg

IMG_5605.jpg

IMG_5604.jpg

IMG_5603.jpg

IMG_5601.jpg

rippedflesh89

Reaction score
^^^ Im not really a fan of black and yellow, but that looks sick!!

whats the asian symbol mean?? just outta curiousity

Mukersman

Reaction score
are those genuine new inlays? Looks cool me hombre!

Ironbird666

Reaction score
Here's my girl:
IMG_2935.jpg

IMG_2934.jpg

IMG_2933.jpg

IMG_2932.jpg

I've had her since 2000, she was my first "good" guitar. Unfortunately, I never played it much because I hated the stock pickups so she sat in the case for years. I almost sold it a couple times, but the playability always prevented me from getting rid of it. I'm glad I kept her around as she's a screamer with the Crunchlab/Liquifire combo. It went from being hidden away in a case for years to my main axe in my new band.

The only mods are the pickups and the trem is blocked off. I didn't get along too well with the stock trem and since I have a few other guitars with working Floyds I probably won't even bother setting this one up to float. I'd love to snag another RG7420 in Magenta Crush one day! :yesway:

EDIT: Sorry for the blurry pics, too much coffee this morning!!!

maggotspawn

Reaction score
Just picked this up off Fleabay. Needs some work, it's missing the pressure pads for the nut and the jack cover. Sourced a jack cover that I think will work. Ibanezrules is back ordered on the pressure pads. If I ordered a generic 7 string locking nut from somewhere would the parts fit the RG?
Ibby2.jpg

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just picked this up off Fleabay. Needs some work, it's missing the pressure pads for the nut and the jack cover. Sourced a jack cover that I think will work. Ibanezrules is back ordered on the pressure pads. If I ordered a generic 7 string locking nut from somewhere would the parts fit the RG?

I've yet to find a set of generic locking nut pads that fit the nut on 7-string Ibanez guitars.

')