The Ibanez Family before Austerity kicks in; Who gets voted off the island?

• Thread starter clintsal
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Which Ibanez guitar would you sell if you had to?

• Total voters

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
Voted Apex because I don't like them very much. :shrug: I also had an S5470 and loved it to death, so I'm going against the majority and saying keep that one.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Demiurge

Reaction score
Although they are nice guitars, none of them is a collectors item, you could find some of the same models even years later.

This might be the better line of thinking- move the guitars that you believe you'll have a better chance of re-acquiring later if you want.

Daf57

5 7s in 4ths
Reaction score
Sell ... nothing! Must keep all gear! Get a temporary part-time job to cover the expenses! Mow some lawns or get a paper route. ;) :lol:

Matthew

Reaction score
I don't see how this is even a question.

You've got 2 S series guitars, a guitar that doesn't seem to add anything interesting from looking at its specs and a guitar that's pretending to be an S series.

Get rid of the Apex and the RGA. Cash comes in, business booms and you've got comfortable guitars.

atticus1088

Reaction score
I voted for the red S 6 string (or I'd vote the Apex, and I've been wanting one of those Ibanez S5427's. I really dig the finish.

RGA's are unique and are definitely awesome guitars(both have different pickups and finish).
I'm biased though.... I own two....:lol:

You should be asking which guitars speak to you the most and least?
Which inspire you to make music the most?
Which makes you play the best? :scratch:

Side note:
About the S5427, is the guitar really neck heavy?
For example, if you play while seated, does the guitar tip over?
I'm pretty interested in getting one.

clintsal

Humbub
Reaction score
So here's the owner run-down:

S5427: Keeper for sure. This and the Apex100 have the exact same neck profile, but I prefer HH, mahogany, and the Saber shape much more. It's not heavy as someone asked, but sounds that way! The only nitpickity thing I have is that the pup routes are shallow, and the PKs sit a bit closer to the strings than I like, especially the high strings on the bridge and the entire neck pup. I'll have a pro fix this once the financial woes settle down.

S5470F: I went back and forth A LOT since getting the RGA121 trying to feel out which I like better, and the answer has consistently been the S. It has a more sinister, low-mid tone that works for my sound, and the neck is satin vs the RGA's more glossy neck. It is also in much better cosmetic condition, and I like the middle pup tones in positions 2 and 4, just gotta get a Qtuner single in there, might end up with Blackhawks as well.

Apex100: LOVE the clean tones on this one, despite it being a Korn sig. And on the contrary, I don't like the high gain tones nearly as much, I've decided it is a trait of alder I just can't get along with. Had an alder carvin that also sounded beautiful clean but too wide in the mids and not growly enough in the lows for my tastes. Also, it has become clear to me now that I've owned several ibbys that I will never feel as at home on a RG body as an S.

RGA121: Really wanted to fall in love with this thing, and in a way I did. The maple really brightens and tightens up the mahogany, and it has amazing resonance. The bridge is super comfy, and the neck feels great as well. However, when compared to the S, it isn't in as good of cosmetic shape, the slight glossiness of the neck isn't as pleasant as the satin S, and I love me some fine tuner machines. With the right pups it would be a monster of a guitar, but even then I am certain the S would just feel better to me.

As an aside, I have both S's blocked to dive only with cuts of wenge, and the Apex has a big brass block upgrade.

In any case, I'm still sad to see any of them go, but the RGA is already on the move and the Apex is listed in the classifieds. Thanks for all the votes and comments!

sepsis311

Devil's Advocate
Reaction score
It's important to have at least ONE guitar with a fixed bridge, so keep the yellow one. The Apex has the awesome edge low pro, the pre-ball bearing and pre-x420 series trems, keep that. I say it comes down to one of the S's in the middle, and since you can utilize multiple tunings on the fixed yellow one, you wont need 2 6's, i'd say get rid of the red s.

teamSKDM

Reaction score
Reason I said keep the rga was because at least you don't got to be stuck in one tuning, but no choice on any of these was a bad choice! Good luck buddy!

clintsal

Humbub
Reaction score
W both S's in dive only, I can still swap tunings no prob, as long as I keep the spring tension up ;)

')