The importance of vocals

• Thread starter The McThief
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

The McThief

The Boss Man
Reaction score
So almost everyone I know thinks vocals are the most important part of music. I, on the other hand listen to music mostly for the instruments.

Now I realize that vocals give the music a meaning, but it seems kind of like an unnecessary thing...kind of like something that is added on just to be added on (no offense to anybody)

So I'm wondering, am I the only person that feels this way?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I think having vocals makes music relatable. It gives people something they can sing along with at a show or get into when listening at home. I love instrumental music, but seeing it live just isnt the same, it ends up feeling like music for musicians. Vocals let any old person feel included :p haha, just my opinion

ry_z

Ikebana Noise Club
Reaction score
For me whether the vocals are important or not depends entirely on the band in question.

:agreed:

2:50 = I couldn't imagine this band without vocals.

This doesn't have vocals, and would never need them.

Metamurphic

Dimarzio CRUNK-Lab
Contributor
Reaction score
The first thing i'm attracted to is the actual music. if i'm interested enough in the music i don't care what the vocals are doing (eg Dream Theater lol) unless the vocals are so bad they ruin everything. Some bands NEED a vocalist to maintain interest, personally i'd never listen to a band just for the vocalist but that's just me.

Then again there some great bands that have a vocalist who is just there. you hear vocals but feel they don't enhance the music at all.

I'm in a group that's seeking a vocalist at the moment, It's hard to find someone who would complete the sound rather than just be there for vocals.

Shameless Band Spam

The McThief

The Boss Man
Reaction score
For me whether the vocals are important or not depends entirely on the band in question.

Good point. When I relate it to my favorite band ever, August Burns Red :)hbang:) I realize they wouldn't be as awesome without vocals. Some music needs to be just more complex to be entertaining without vocals.

On the other end, I don't personally think BTBAM really needs vocals (I'm gonna get ready to be flamed to death for that XD) because they're so complex in the first place. THOSE vocals seem to be just "there".

Adam Of Angels

The GAS Man
Reaction score
Vocals are, or rather can be, amazing because it's the way in which we use our own bodies as musical instruments. No hardware or equipment is necessary, and yet the results can be beautiful.

KenAncients

Reaction score
People relate to the human voice in terms of relating to music. When you take the human voice away you give the instruments the power to make a statement. What i love about instrumental music is it's almost like art. Each individual can have it's own interpretation of what the musicians are trying to portray.

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
Depends on genre/content.

For example, I'd be pissed if I heard any form of vocals on most of the great old Mingus tunes.

In contrast, my lord and savior Tom Waits is so defined BECAUSE OF his vocals.

Futher, lacking vocals, for me, is the one thing keeping Animals As Leaders from being one of the greatest bands on the face of the Earth. Imagine what they could do with a great vocalist. Also, instrumental music will never, EVER be as large in Western markets as that which has vocals.

A heavy majority of those who listen to instrumental music are musicians or instrumentalists. I don't think that is what music is about at all.

Despised_0515

Bassist of Redivider
Contributor
Reaction score
Vocal Patterns > Lyrics... kinda.

Some of the cheesiest lines have sounded so darn good just because of their flow.

The McThief

The Boss Man
Reaction score
People relate to the human voice in terms of relating to music. When you take the human voice away you give the instruments the power to make a statement. What i love about instrumental music is it's almost like art. Each individual can have it's own interpretation of what the musicians are trying to portray.
Amen! That's what I love about instrumental stuff such as Animals as Leaders and Irepress
Depends on genre/content.

For example, I'd be pissed if I heard any form of vocals on most of the great old Mingus tunes.

In contrast, my lord and savior Tom Waits is so defined BECAUSE OF his vocals.

Futher, lacking vocals, for me, is the one thing keeping Animals As Leaders from being one of the greatest bands on the face of the Earth. Imagine what they could do with a great vocalist. Also, instrumental music will never, EVER be as large in Western markets as that which has vocals.

A heavy majority of those who listen to instrumental music are musicians or instrumentalists. I don't think that is what music is about at all.
I wouldn't want AAL to get a vocalist. I think it would take away from Tosin. But hey, opinions are opinions :)
Vocal Patterns > Lyrics... kinda.

Some of the cheesiest lines have sounded so darn good just because of their flow.
Vocal patterns can still be pulled off using instruments though.

sol niger 333

I like stuff
Reaction score
I think it should be a sum of parts and planned/written with all parts and the song in mind. As soon as vocals occur as an afterthought and not part of the writing process it sounds as such.

All_¥our_Bass

Deathly Chuuni
Reaction score
I like when vocals are treated more like an instrument rather than just a way to give the songs some "idea behind the music" or accessibility.

To me music is all about the sounds themselves, regardless if they are made by a voice or an instrument.

Also, I'd like lots of classic rock A LOT more if it weren't for all this blusey screeching about their girl/woman, etc. Often understanding the lyrics make a song less enjoyable.

IMO IMO IMO

spattergrind

Reaction score
I think vocals can make or break a band. IMO I cant get into bands like: Every time I Die, etc. I just don't like that obnoxious hardcore, British punk style, slurring wailing. :noplease:
It cant take away from the music.
I think it has to work with the music well. I like Despised Icon, they don't have the best vocals in the world, but IT WORKS and plays of off the instruments well.

I agree, some bands do not need vocals like AAL. It would ruin it. It would take away from the talent.
I also hate when in music videos, all the attention is on the vocalist, like thats all that matters. :noway:

Krankguitarist

Reaction score
Depends on the band, really.

I don't listen much for the vocals, or the instruments. For me, the most important part of music is structure, form, and flow. Sum of all the parts. Song could have a killer hook or riff in it, or a phenomenal vocal performance, but if it's got jarring transitions and/or parts sound "forced", then I just can't get into it.

Instrumental music generally needs to be structured differently than vocal music, though, in order to keep it interesting. It opens doors as to where a song can go...but also closes a few others. The whole verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/verse/chorus thing is a lot harder to pull off instrumentally than it is in a vocal context.

Reaction score
Vocals can definitely make or break a band for me. If the band is using a lot of cleans yet the vocalist has no power or can't actually sing (hey all 73% of metalcore bands!) then I'll turn that shit off ASAP. If I'm listening to a genre that treats vocals as another instrument to create textures, then they aren't nearly as important.

Polythoral

Hipster Mustaine
Reaction score
Not necessary, no. Really depends on the band, seeing as bands tend to choose to write to incorporate them or not to. Bands without many melodies and leads written in for the instrumentation clearly require vocals to give you something more memorable, cutting through to be focused on.

Then there's bands like Scale The Summit, Lye By Mistake, or Journal where the instrumentation sings/tells the story alone and doesn't require anything more.

')