The Impulse FAQ/Tutorial Thread

• Thread starter FourFour
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

pilau

Reaction score
A question about IRs...

As far as I understand the IR signal chain is not the cab alone, it is the power amp, cab, and microphone. So in essence IRs also simulate the power amp color & knob setting - or did I get it all wrong?

Please explain. Cheers!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Yes there is, else you would not be able to power the speaker you are playing the test tone through. It could be an active speaker with it's own poweramp, but yes. There is more than just the speaker cone and box enclosure at play.

pilau

Reaction score
So for example a Redwirez Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Vintage 30 IR singal chain, would be something like:

Signal generator > Actual Mesa Rectifier > 4x12 Vintage 30 cab > some microphone > some mic preamp

?

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
D/A conversion of interface (presuming the signal generator is a computer, I expect that's the case with most people making guitar cab impulses) > Poweramp > Speaker cab > Mic > Mic preamp > A/D conversion of interface

Given that the impulses are of cabs, I would not assume that a poweramp from the same brand was used.
For example my rig was a 6505+>Orange 4x12, so impulses I made are powered by the poweramp (FX loop return) of the 6505+ head.
Redwirez stated they used a very transparent poweramp to take one less factor away - I don't know what it was but I expect it was not part of an amp head.

pilau

Reaction score
I see. Technically, for what reason did you plug the cab into the FX loop?

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Because the poweramp is found after the fx loop :) You can plug a cable into the FX loop return and use that as a poweramp for any purpose.

pilau

Reaction score
So as far as I understand, the preamp alone drives the cab. But is that enough?

Goro923

Spanish Thrasher
Reaction score
Hey all, noob-ish query:

I've just recently started to experiment with POD Farm and impulses using keFIR. I'm trying to get a tone that's somewhat similar to this:

Any recommendations for amp/cab impulse combination? Thanks!

EDIT: might be in the wrong thread, feel free to move this if necessary.

Poltergeist

Reaction score
I'm a Pro Tools user, and I'm aware that they do not support, VST's(most), are there any RTAS plugins that I could use instead?A ny recommendations for other RTAS convolution reverbs? I'm aware of Fxpansion VST to RTAS converter plug in... but it's $100 and I dont know if that's worth it just to to improve my POD HD patches while recording direct... What other ways can I use impulses in Pro Tools 10? What other wrappers are available that may be a bit more budget friendly?

lawizeg

Reaction score
I can't seem to get sound from the LePou LeCab2 in Logic X, first time im trying it. I have two Mesa Boogie IRs and Catharsis IRs loaded, and heres the chain:

Image%202013.08.07%203%3A49%3A21%20AM.png

My LeCab2(in case I'm doing something stupid. Still need to tweak actual settings):

screenshot.png

Thanks for any assistance.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
I can't see why that's not working. It's set up for stereo input so I presume it's on a stereo bus with a stereo amp sim being fed by two channels of guitar panned hard left and hard right?
Check it works in a simple setup first. One channel, mono amp, one cab set to L (mono) input, panned center.

Deathbykidd

Reaction score
So is there any way to get a nice distorted bass tone out of impulses? I'm currently using the tse BOD and I just find the distortion tone lacking. Would routing the bass through a guitar head and into a bass cab get a better distortion tone and then a clean tone through the BOD and into a bass cab?

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
The BOD (Sansamp) and a guitar head are both preamps. What will have better tone is subjective..
Try it, but I'm going to think a pedal designed and popular for bass distortion will be better that a guitar preamp.
As for impulses, that's not really anything to do with the distortion. Just the cab. A guitar cab impulse will typically have more edge to it and less bass than a bass cab so you might find that useful on the distortion track.

I would suggest running the DI to two separate rigs:
Clean (DI or Sansamp clean, whatever you prefer) > Bass cab
+ Distortion (Sansamp or guitar head) > Guitar/Bass cab - this signal should have little low end.

feki

Feki
Reaction score
My tone is set, you can download at the bottom right, the entire patch all VST + ir Engl530/V30
feki music
In the next menu settings :)

Deathbykidd

Reaction score
The BOD (Sansamp) and a guitar head are both preamps. What will have better tone is subjective..
Try it, but I'm going to think a pedal designed and popular for bass distortion will be better that a guitar preamp.
As for impulses, that's not really anything to do with the distortion. Just the cab. A guitar cab impulse will typically have more edge to it and less bass than a bass cab so you might find that useful on the distortion track.

I would suggest running the DI to two separate rigs:
Clean (DI or Sansamp clean, whatever you prefer) > Bass cab
+ Distortion (Sansamp or guitar head) > Guitar/Bass cab - this signal should have little low end.

Alright. I mainly use the BOD for the clean channel on my bass, but the distortion side was my issue. I'll mess around with it some.