The Impulse FAQ/Tutorial Thread

• Thread starter FourFour
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DespoticOrder

Slave Driver
Reaction score
You have discovered the JACKAL Cabinet Impulse Response. MAKE SURE you put a LOW PASS filter of 2.4KHz because there are TOO MUCH highs on the impulse response. Enjoy. :hbang::hbang::hbang::hbang:

Download Link: https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/JACKAL%20Cabinet%20Impulse%20Response.zip?w=AAAOcvto97HM8oHnGGxU9A4OLXeNreS-pERgOnFs8fri1A&dl=1

Thank You,

Jacob

Setting a low pass at 2.4K seems a little rediculous? Unless the Q is superrrr wide or something. Or maybe you meant to pull some out with a high shelf?

tonefreqhz

Reaction score
Free Les Paul Standard ( 1974) and Strat Master Salute ( 2005 Custom shop) and Taylor 410 CE acoustic on our web site.

Video Demo and screen Capture.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ry4Ji44VQr0
Demo of the Impulse response Wav files from the tonefreqhz vintage quality collection.

Vintage quality collection Compiled . wav Impulse responses | ToneFReqHz

Using Acmebargigs freeware plugin Tribe.

Download your free sample and the tribe plugin from our web site.

TONE FR.EQ.HZ. - Viking Sound Cooperative

Visit Acme Bar Gig Here.

http://www.acmebargig.com/

Both Demo guitar IR's original Guitars for sale here.
Fender Stratocaster 2005 Master Salute | Breakout

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1974 | Breakout

JTL

ss.org lurker
Reaction score
I'm a Pro Tools user, and I'm aware that they do not support, VST's(most), are there any RTAS plugins that I could use instead?A ny recommendations for other RTAS convolution reverbs? I'm aware of Fxpansion VST to RTAS converter plug in... but it's $100 and I dont know if that's worth it just to to improve my POD HD patches while recording direct... What other ways can I use impulses in Pro Tools 10? What other wrappers are available that may be a bit more budget friendly?

I'm in the exact same boat here. Anyone versed in this area care to lend a helping hand?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

allshallperishfan

Reaction score
Ok so i have a question about the output level of IRs. I am using the LeCab2 and i was wondering if its better to keep the output at the default or turn it up? also if i load 4 impulses for each guitar track will that improve the sound? Basically i want to know what the ratio for cab output and power amp output should be. I use a podfarm amp sim and the lecab 2. Should these be at the same level?

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
^^ anyone?

Really it doesn't matter much, you can turn digital levels up and down throughout the DAW with no effect but correct gain staging comes in handy and makes workflow better and usually leads to a cleaner mix.
I like to keep unity gain through plugins. That is input = output.
Track your DI to peak no higher than -6dB. Set your amp sim to do the same, and your cab sim to keep it level. Using this approach with all plugins is really handy for hearing if you've actually made improvements. It's easy to bypass/enable a plugin and think it's better because it's louder (of course this doesn't particularly apply to cab sims because they are necessary and sound like shit turned off, haha. Mainly talking about compression here.)

crg123

SS.orgLocalArchitect
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm new to pro tools and digital recording in general. My uncle works for Avid and managed to get me a copy of Pro tools 11 to mess with (I'm 25 if that matters). I've been experimenting on and off with recording for years but I always revert back to just playing through my amp and not caring about actually recording my songs or my playing.

I downloaded Recabinet to use IRs with my guitar rig. Basically my chain goes guitar>Keeley comp>Maxon 808>NS-2>Blackstart HT-5>FX send>GE-7 EQ>ISP Decimator>Scarlett Focusrite>Protools 11 then monitored with Ultrasone Pro 900 headphones and JBL lsr305s.

basically I'm going from the FX send of my amp into the Focusrite. This still sends a signal to cabinet which I mute by putting a cable into the headphones jack of the amp. (Don't know if this is a good idea but I've done it for months now with no issues.)

Is this a bad idea for trying to get a good full sounding DI recording? I just don't want to loose all the time and money I've spent on my rig throughout the years just to record and monitor through my headphones. Would adding a load box like a THD Hot plate between my cab and my amp and using that signal improve my sound.

I've been messing with all the different Impulses and I'm getting pretty decent tones but I was wondering if the Red Wirez impulses are worth the extra cost? If so which amps in particular would you recommend since idk if im ready to commit to the Big Box right off the bat. I'm somewhat happy with the sound I'm getting but it's still lacking something.

I mostly play progressive death metal (core) along the lines of Blotted Science, Allegaeon, the Contortionist, and Atheist.

--------------------------------------------------------------

This sounds like such a noobish question now that I reread it but any help/ guidance would be very much appreciated

hand amputation

Reaction score
Great thread! I just read all 11 pages.

I am not new to recording (Mac + Reaper) but I am very new to impulses. Can't wait to try them out.

On to my question...

I used to have a Line6 UX2 that came bundled with Podfarm. Podfarm was fun to play with, but I thought it kindof sucked that you HAD to run it (from what I understand) in order to get signal from your mic or line. Was kindof a pain in the ass when doing something besides guitar or bass.

Now I have a Focusrite Sapphire 2 channel, and I really love it. Problem is, I can't use Podfarm anymore...

So I am wondering... Is there a good (free) all-around preamp for guitar and bass that can be coupled with these impulses? Looking for mostly punk rock type tones, but playing around with metal and djent tones are fun too.

Anyone care to help a noob out? Thanks in advance.

[EDIT] Also.. could someone link me to God's Cab? Every link I find no longer works. Thanks!

FretsOnFyre

SSO's sociopath
Reaction score
Quick question, hoping someone can help me out. I've been trying to record with impulses using the Slave Out from my Mark IV into LeCab with God's Cab impulses, but when I A/B the impulse clips with the ones recorded with an SM57 they just sound really weak. I'm using a standard instrument cable into my interface, is that the problem? Or is there something else?

PlumbTheDerps

Reaction score
Great thread! I just read all 11 pages.

I am not new to recording (Mac + Reaper) but I am very new to impulses. Can't wait to try them out.

On to my question...

I used to have a Line6 UX2 that came bundled with Podfarm. Podfarm was fun to play with, but I thought it kindof sucked that you HAD to run it (from what I understand) in order to get signal from your mic or line. Was kindof a pain in the ass when doing something besides guitar or bass.

Now I have a Focusrite Sapphire 2 channel, and I really love it. Problem is, I can't use Podfarm anymore...

So I am wondering... Is there a good (free) all-around preamp for guitar and bass that can be coupled with these impulses? Looking for mostly punk rock type tones, but playing around with metal and djent tones are fun too

I'm a couple of months late, but (a) you don't need to run POD Farm to get a signal from your mic or line, (b) you can still use POD Farm as a plug-in, and (c) try LePou's plugins.

rahahoo

Reaction score
I didn`t see someone to mention here the new IR loader from Ignite Amps - "NadIR". It`s a greet plug-in. Their other plug-ins are very good too especially the amp sim - "Emissary". Here is the link:

Audio Plug-Ins

Reaction score
Hey everyone. Hope this thread's still alive!

I read through all the 11 pages and did not find an answer for this so i was wondering if someone could help me out. I've just started using IR and running them through Reaper. However, when i turn monitoring on for the track im recording i still hear my guitar tone without the cab sim on. I can only hear the result once i playback my recording.

Has anyone yet figured this out?

fob

Reaction score
Hey everyone. Hope this thread's still alive!

I read through all the 11 pages and did not find an answer for this so i was wondering if someone could help me out. I've just started using IR and running them through Reaper. However, when i turn monitoring on for the track im recording i still hear my guitar tone without the cab sim on. I can only hear the result once i playback my recording.

Has anyone yet figured this out?

I second this!

fob

Reaction score
Maybe try a dedicated IR loader? Can you explain better what you're hearing?
Basically, when recording, I only hear the tone of the guitar without any of the plugins active. It's only active on playback. I was wondering if there's a way to hear the plugins of the amp sim and cab IR during recording, not just in playback.

I am also having a difficult time getting the cab installed in my DAW for some reason. I did manage to download the Amp sims and they're on there. I was using some Ignite ones. They are working, but without the cab sim obviously they sound kinda bad alone. I tried downloading the Lecab, especially after seeing all the praise people gave it, (I downloaded the Mac AU, I'm using Logic Pro X), but I don't seem to have any .wav files of the impulses. I have a .component file from the Lecab, and a few files in a folder that it has, but I don't know where to install them. I put the .component one in the Plugins folder under Audio and in Component, where I put the other files like that, and all of them work but the Lecab one isn't. What am I missing? I have some screenshots here.

I hear no sound when I use this Lecab. The amp sim has sound, so does the dry track, then when I turn on this cab, nothing comes out. HELP. :(
Screen Shot 2017-05-26 at 1.14.11 AM.png Screen Shot 2017-05-26 at 1.14.30 AM.png Screen Shot 2017-05-26 at 1.14.42 AM.png Screen Shot 2017-05-26 at 1.14.54 AM.png Screen Shot 2017-05-26 at 1.21.38 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-05-26 at 1.18.53 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-05-26 at 1.18.53 AM.png
    250.4 KB · Views: 1

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
It looks like you haven't loaded any impulses. LeCab is only an IR loader. Not an IR itself. You need to download some impulses and load one or more into those slots in LeCab. I apologize if that is what you're doing already but from your screenshots, it appears that you aren't.

fob

Reaction score
It looks like you haven't loaded any impulses. LeCab is only an IR loader. Not an IR itself. You need to download some impulses and load one or more into those slots in LeCab. I apologize if that is what you're doing already but from your screenshots, it appears that you aren't.
No apologies necessary! I am new to this and appreciate your replying and help!

Screen Shot 2017-05-26 at 1.35.25 AM.png
Is this also an IR loader then? What are these IR loaders doing and how is one better than the other? What are some good impulses to download? Free ones to start off if possible!

Latest posts