The Impulse FAQ/Tutorial Thread

• Thread starter FourFour
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score

fob

Reaction score
Rosen's revamping of the NadIR loader is probably the most recent free IR loader so it's a good choice IMO.

As far as actual impulses go
SinMix has a good one here: http://www.sinmix.pl/free-stuff/ (scroll down to free IR named SinMix_Mesa57_IR.wav)
Here's a few others: http://bedroomproducersblog.com/201...6-best-free-guitar-cabinet-impulse-responses/
Ola Englund has a good one somewhere on one of his videos too I think but I can't find it right now
THANKS SO MUCH! I finally got it working. Such a simple step but I totally missed it.

Steinmetzify

CHUG & SLUDGE
Reaction score
No apologies necessary! I am new to this and appreciate your replying and help!

View attachment 54074
Is this also an IR loader then? What are these IR loaders doing and how is one better than the other? What are some good impulses to download? Free ones to start off if possible!

Basically, think of this as a speaker cable to your cab. It's going to take the recorded sound that you want to hear and put it thru and the IR acts as a cabinet/speaker/mic combination. If you've used amp and cab combinations and mic'd them up, this does the same thing. It's a recorded sample/digital snapshot of what THAT cab and THAT mic and THAT placement sounded like right then.

Lot of guys use V30s/SM57s, and there are a ton of IRs featuring that.

One IR loader isn't really any better than the other, it's just preference. DL some IRs, there are a ton of free ones all over the place. Most of the big names will kick freebies on their websites....Celestion does, Ownhammer does, there's lots more.

Grab some, and put them in a folder on your desktop or whatever. The pic above of that Rosen loader? The folder icon next to the blank space is how you tell it to look. Load it up in your DAW (make sure it's AFTER the amp sim) click that, direct it to the folder where your IRs are and it'll load up a list of what's in the folder. Choose one, make sure your record monitoring is on, rock out.

Any other hardships post in here, we'll get you going.

EDIT: derp, you posted it while I was typing that. Glad you got it working, man. Chuck a clip, and don't forget other sims. Check out Mercuriall's free stuff and free trials. Their U530 sim kicks all ass for metal tones.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

fob

Reaction score
Basically, think of this as a speaker cable to your cab. It's going to take the recorded sound that you want to hear and put it thru and the IR acts as a cabinet/speaker/mic combination. If you've used amp and cab combinations and mic'd them up, this does the same thing. It's a recorded sample/digital snapshot of what THAT cab and THAT mic and THAT placement sounded like right then.

Lot of guys use V30s/SM57s, and there are a ton of IRs featuring that.

One IR loader isn't really any better than the other, it's just preference. DL some IRs, there are a ton of free ones all over the place. Most of the big names will kick freebies on their websites....Celestion does, Ownhammer does, there's lots more.

Grab some, and put them in a folder on your desktop or whatever. The pic above of that Rosen loader? The folder icon next to the blank space is how you tell it to look. Load it up in your DAW (make sure it's AFTER the amp sim) click that, direct it to the folder where your IRs are and it'll load up a list of what's in the folder. Choose one, make sure your record monitoring is on, rock out.

Any other hardships post in here, we'll get you going.

EDIT: derp, you posted it while I was typing that. Glad you got it working, man. Chuck a clip, and don't forget other sims. Check out Mercuriall's free stuff and free trials. Their U530 sim kicks all ass for metal tones.
Nice comparison to the speaker cable! That makes sense.

I always have questions!

What is the purpose of some of these IR loaders having multiple folders? Lecab I think has 6 you can open, while pulse has 2. Is that to load and compare each one easily instead of one at a time? Or can you simultaneously run them together and mix the cab sims? As far as the amp sim, and I think IR loader but I'm not super familiar with it yet, what is the difference between running it as mono or stereo, or as I've seen in some, dual mono, which I don't remember seeing before.

When tracking also, is there a way to load the amp sim/cab sim and hear them while live playing, or is it only in playback when they become active?

Thank all of you so much. :)

Steinmetzify

CHUG & SLUDGE
Reaction score
What is the purpose of some of these IR loaders having multiple folders? Lecab I think has 6 you can open, while pulse has 2. Is that to load and compare each one easily instead of one at a time? Or can you simultaneously run them together and mix the cab sims?

Yes to both of these. Say you want an SM57 on one and a 609 on another, you can blend them.

When tracking also, is there a way to load the amp sim/cab sim and hear them while live playing, or is it only in playback when they become active?

No, you just need to arm the track for recording and then make sure your monitoring is active. I'm not familiar with Logic as I'm a Reaper user, but you should be able to find what you need as far as live monitoring goes with a google image search for the right button. Can totally hear it as you use it.

piggins411

Reaction score
Can anyone offer some guidance? I'm trying to use impulses for the first time, and I'm having some trouble. I'm going direct and using the LePou plugins with LeCab in Reaper and I'm not quite getting it. Every tutorial I see has a step before they add the IR and the tone sounds really fuzzy and bad. However, when I load one of the LePou amp, say the Engl one, for example, I still get a clean tone. It's a bit louder, but no amount of tweaking makes it much better. I can't seem to get a good distorted tone. Even putting it on the highest gain channel it still sounds pretty pathetic.

Steinmetzify

CHUG & SLUDGE
Reaction score
Can anyone offer some guidance? I'm trying to use impulses for the first time, and I'm having some trouble. I'm going direct and using the LePou plugins with LeCab in Reaper and I'm not quite getting it. Every tutorial I see has a step before they add the IR and the tone sounds really fuzzy and bad. However, when I load one of the LePou amp, say the Engl one, for example, I still get a clean tone. It's a bit louder, but no amount of tweaking makes it much better. I can't seem to get a good distorted tone. Even putting it on the highest gain channel it still sounds pretty pathetic.

If you can, post a pic of your setup and maybe a clip.....usually this is something simple. Monitor knob up too high, track not armed etc...throw up a visual and we can help.

fob

Reaction score
So I am thinking of going from free IR loaders to MixIR 2. Is this worth it? I have seen people say it sounds a little more realistic and aggressive. It also uses less CPU so that's helpful.

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
I stumbled on this video the other day and I don't feel like I have any preset close to that right now and am also having an issue making one. Does anyone here have a preset like this? It's kinda glassy but when he does the staccato parts it's definitely got some nice mids in it. Most of the stuff I have or have seen from the Axe-Change is more scooped in the EQ. I could care less about having his delay and reverb settings. Just after the main tone really.

2:32 to 3:42 section

Also adding to my question... Is the new Heavy Hitters collection from Ownhammer worth getting?

They're on my next-to-buy list. There's the free straight 4x12 Mesa cab set from them and it sounds good too

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
I stumbled on this video the other day and I don't feel like I have any preset close to that right now and am also having an issue making one. Does anyone here have a preset like this? It's kinda glassy but when he does the staccato parts it's definitely got some nice mids in it. Most of the stuff I have or have seen from the Axe-Change is more scooped in the EQ. I could care less about having his delay and reverb settings. Just after the main tone really.

2:32 to 3:42 section

Oops, thought I was in the Axe-Fx thread again. Ignore the first part of that post. haha

fob

Reaction score
If I am recording at 44.1Hz, will only an impulse at 44.1Hz work on it? Should I increase my recording format and use a higher Hz cab impulse for a bigger sound?

edfig1989

Reaction score
Anybody know if there is such software that will let you do all the stuff MixIR2 does PLUS exporting that tweaked impulse session to WAV? That way I can download it to my mooer radar IR loader or any hardware IR loader!!! O____O

Reaction score
Howdy! Almost forgot I had an account here so I'm sorry for my lack of participation. I would like to know if someone saved my IR pack and could repost the thing (I'm ~BURNY~ from the Sneap forum). I would be very grateful. One of my HD crashed a few days ago and I've lost my IR collection in the process. I'm slowly rebuilding it but I can't find a working link to the ones I created lol. Have a great day.

Last edited:

FourFour

4/4
Reaction score
Howdy! Almost forgot I had an account here so I'm sorry for my lack of participation. I would like to know if someone saved my IR pack and could repost the thing (I'm ~BURNY~ from the Sneap forum). I would be very grateful. One of my HD crashed a few days ago and I've lost my IR collection in the process. I'm slowly rebuilding it but I can't find a working link to the ones I created lol. Have a great day.

Omg brah, you are a legend. Still use your impulses to this day. DM me if you still need it. I'll be glad to send em your way, they're finally going full circle.