The Impulse FAQ/Tutorial Thread

• Thread starter FourFour
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi,
i dont know how stupid a question this is so spare me.
ive been using a pod x3 for my guitar tones with recabinet complete. i use an rg 1527 7 string with seymour duncan blackouts tuned to drop A flat. the strings arent too thick i think 10 - 56.
The problem im facing is that with 6 string guitars all tones tweaked or not come out much better with recabinet than with the stock cabinets of the pod x3( there really isnt any comparison at all) but when i tune down low all the tones no matter how much i tweak them sound hollow and lack harmonic response along with being muddy and altogether strange sounding. ive tried all the cabs and all the mic postiions on those cabs, concentrating the tweaking on the more typically used microphones for recording heavily distorted guitars and have constantly had the problem of there not being enough chunk chunk and tight bottom end on the tone. ive also tried using various amp models on the x3 and the problem still seems to persist.
so its either the pod that isnt any good with low tunings and impulses or that im doing something really wrong. any information /suggestions will help.
thanks

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
When I try to load VST in Audition 3.0, I choose the folder, click ok, and it asks to open VST plugin manager. I click yes, it opens a window that says "Choose which plugins to select" and nothing is there. What am I doing wrong here?

Ok, SIR works but no luck on Voxengo. Gonna try some tracks.

shredfreak

Reaction score
Download & installing everything here atm.

Feel like playing with the TSE preamp model & some pulses tonight :lol:

Reaction score
Hi,
i dont know how stupid a question this is so spare me.
ive been using a pod x3 for my guitar tones with recabinet complete. i use an rg 1527 7 string with seymour duncan blackouts tuned to drop A flat. the strings arent too thick i think 10 - 56.
The problem im facing is that with 6 string guitars all tones tweaked or not come out much better with recabinet than with the stock cabinets of the pod x3( there really isnt any comparison at all) but when i tune down low all the tones no matter how much i tweak them sound hollow and lack harmonic response along with being muddy and altogether strange sounding. ive tried all the cabs and all the mic postiions on those cabs, concentrating the tweaking on the more typically used microphones for recording heavily distorted guitars and have constantly had the problem of there not being enough chunk chunk and tight bottom end on the tone. ive also tried using various amp models on the x3 and the problem still seems to persist.
so its either the pod that isnt any good with low tunings and impulses or that im doing something really wrong. any information /suggestions will help.
thanks

Very late response, sorry.

Yea, I find that impulses with the pod don't work very well with low tunings initially. You have to do some post eq work and maybe use a multiband compressor to tame the muddiness. I prefer using the inbuilt pod impulses for low-tuned tight sounding tones because of this. Your strings might be too loose for Drop A, try increasing the gauge.

Depends what kind of sound you're going for anyway... Don't stop experimenting with different impulses and VSTs.

op1e: :scratch:Not sure about that, bro. I don't use audition.

Winspear

Winspear // Noisemother
Reaction score
Hopefully someone looks here...

KeFir website seems to have gone away :( It was my prefered Impulse Response - can somebody email it to Goat6@hotmail.co.uk (mono or stereo, both if you have them) or upload it somewhere online please?

Thanks!

Tyrant

Reaction score
I just cant get this to work, Im about to smash my keyboard over my head!

It just sounds shitty no matter what I try...

I decided to try this nick crow 8505 to see what its all about. Loaded it up in a track, added impulses (tried with SIR, Kefir and boogex). No matter what I do it just sounds shitty. Help ? Im nooby about this kinda thing.

EDIT: Kinda figured it out on my own... :p

Santuzzo

Reaction score
I am new to impulses, too, I am just about to start usign them.
I was downloading some freeware plugins, but like someone else already mentione Kefir seems to be not available online anymore.
Could anybody who has it send me a copy maybe? Since it's freeware, I don't think this would be illegal in any way.
PM me if you can help, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks,
Lars

Travmack199

Reaction score
I'm having trouble figuring out how to use the Impulses live with SIR2 It works with playback, but I can't figure out how to hear it live.

bah, I'm using sonar.

Espaul

Reaction score
I'm looking for an impulse of a studio or something that I can use on the drums. Does anybody have one? Or atleast know where I can find one?

Reaction score
finally got around to downloading sir1 but it wont work. Someone else said that here and they were told to put the dll file in the vst plug in folder of your plug in host. what is a vst:scratch:? noone ever mentioned that. it wont work at all. do i have to run it on a differant program and if so what? and what in the nine levels of hell is a DAW? :wallbash:

Ben.Last

Formerly Lern2Swim
Reaction score
Just some info for anyone interested. The Digitech GSP1101 now has 10 slots for user uploadable Impulses in the newest firmware.

Nakon14

Smells like updog
Reaction score
Alright, I'm brand new to this and I'm having a bit of trouble. I'm running PT 8 M Powered on a Mac, and I have no clue how to install the plug-in! I've done what the readme said to do and I still havent gotten it to work, what should I do?

I've taken the .component file and put it into the Library-Audio-Plugins-Component folder, but nada. Halp?

PTP

Reaction score
Question: Can impulses be applied to tracks that have already been recorded?

PTP

Reaction score
Well I'm trying to do that in Garage Band and its not working, but I'm probably doing something wrong.

The Honorable

Reaction score
Alright, I'm brand new to this and I'm having a bit of trouble. I'm running PT 8 M Powered on a Mac, and I have no clue how to install the plug-in! I've done what the readme said to do and I still havent gotten it to work, what should I do?

I've taken the .component file and put it into the Library-Audio-Plugins-Component folder, but nada. Halp?

I have this same problem with LAConvolver. I've been reading up on Impulses for couple days now trying to figure them out and it seems they are not very friendly to MAC in comparison to PC. I have yet to get it working in Pro Tools LE 8 yet. Too bad cause some of them sound better than my Eleven Rack amp sims.

deathsguitarist

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there are any cool amp simulators for Mac? Like the LePou sims that I keep hearing awesome stuff from. Where are the Mac plugins?!

And how can I record from my tube amps preamp without using a cab? I know there has to be a load on the power amp.

Kripa

Reaction score
http://snd.sc/elXNfd

i made this clip using the soldano amp model from pod farm2, used free guitarhack impulse with Kefir. (u can find the patch in the patch library here at the download section, i uploaded it there) :hbang:

')