The infamous E-bow thread......

• Thread starter Krypteia713
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Krypteia713

Reaction score
So I just listened my opeth albums[trying to pass the time till my schecter comes in, I'm going crazy]. And I hear some wonderful use of the E-bow on some songs.I think I want one now haha.Anybody use one of these?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I want one too. :agreed: They'd rock for ambient overdubs.

(And I recall hearing they use e-bows a good amount)

Sentient

Metal Dog
Contributor
Reaction score
It's pretty cool how many folks have been using this thing for many years...

Ebow users

...and that includes Anthrax, Dream Theatre, and Steve Vai. The first time I ever heard anybody use one was back in the 80's when Big Country released their debut album. I thought, "Man, how the hell is that guy doing that?"

I think my favorite thing ever done with it is that haunting intro to The Cranberries "Daffodil Lament". Very cool :yesway:

(...Hmmm.... just realized how "non-manly" that must've sounded. Must now go administer some old Exodus & Coroner quickly, before the gay-hounds come after me, too...:lol: )

Chris D

Fiddich or Morangie???
Reaction score
Yeah, had a go on one once, they're pretty cool.
But I'd prefer a 7string sustainer pickup...

BTW, anyone tried that new Line6 Dr.Distorto pedal?
It has an infinite sustain/feedbackfaker setting...

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Well, i'm a big fan of Daniel Lanois, Michael Brook and Robert Fripp, so i'm kinda into the sustainy-harmonic sound.

REM's "Ebow the Letter" was a schlocky, obvious use of the Ebow. It can be used very subtly as a textural element, but just slapping it over the neck pickup and wailing away is pretty 'ho-hum'. I use a volume pedal to control its volume, and i find that its sweet spot for me is just off the neck pickup. I find it's a lot smoother in that position. If i want a spike of that high-end buzzy sound, i can just move it a few millimetres toward the neck.

BAUOOOW
Reaction score
I own one, it's a cool little contraption. Mostly I leave it at the studio so bands can use it. Usually I'll show it to them if I think their music could benefit from the use of it. If it's like a hardcore metal band I just leave it there on the rack thing. But some of the bands would sound cool using it in the background, and I explain what it does, show them some Opeth, hehe, and they are like "cool lemme mess with it", and they throw down a couple of mood setting tracks with it. It's a great tool for getting more textures in a song. Fun to play with too.

That said, I would much rather be able to install a sustainer pickup in everyone's guitar that used the Ebow. It would be much easier. But it doesn't what you use, but how you use it, :)

~006+1

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Got one for xmas!:metal: Love the thing...it's really cool for mimicing keyboard and woodwind sounds. Want to try tracking up four ebow lines to make a choir!

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
hands + pick + strings + guitar + high gain amp = metal

ebow + capo + effects pedals + gizmos + gadgets + whatever = gimmick

metal > gimmick

therefore-

hands > ebow

gimmicks are cool though, in small dosages

eleven59

None shall pass.
Contributor
Reaction score
I love my Ebow. I even use it live on one song. You can get some seriously cool atmospheric, almost synth-sounding effects if you use it with the right tones and delays/reverbs. I'd love a sustainer pickup too, but I'd still use my Ebow, because everything I've ever heard has shown me that the two have very different sounds/uses.

You can hear my Ebow use on my myspace page on the song "Isolation". (link for solo recordings in my signature)

Cancer

Gazzmask
Reaction score
Krypteia713 said:
So I just listened my opeth albums[trying to pass the time till my schecter comes in, I'm going crazy]. And I hear some wonderful use of the E-bow on some songs.I think I want one now haha.Anybody use one of these?

I used to when owned the Fernandez (I miss the Fernandez). Biggest mistake I ever made was gettig rid of it.

I could so be talked in buying one if someoone has one up for sale.

Mastodon

Songs about My Cats
Reaction score
I tried my viola's bow on my guitar. I didn't realize that Jimmy Page did that before. It sounds pretty cool.

keithb

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Hmm, I always thought they were more expensive than $80 - I may have to pick one up!

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Mastodon said:
I tried my viola's bow on my guitar. I didn't realize that Jimmy Page did that before. It sounds pretty cool.

Gets gum all over the strings, too. :noway:

Anyone else have a Fernandez Revolver 7? :yesway:

')