The Laney Ironheart Owners Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ericjutsu

Reaction score
well you ended on an E I'm pretty sure so I figured you viewed it as a major key and not it's relative minor (ie C#). But I digress, cool song!

mrdm53

Reaction score
Hi guys, want to ask about something

My IRT Studio currently has Ruby's EL84 and TAD EL84 Power Tube. If i want to switch both into JJ's EL84, do i need to Bias the tube? or just swap it without doing anything extra?

charlessalvacion

Reaction score
Just swap it out. I had a conversation with a LANEY tech about biasing & he told me just to swap it out. No need to Bias.

Ironheart

Reaction score
Hi all,
First words in this forum. Actually since almost 12 years since I wrote in a forum :D
So...hi!

About a week ago I couldn't resist the longing for an tube amp any more and purchased an laney irt15h w/ matching 1*12 IRT cab. Before that I was screening almost all videos, reviews, soundclound etc pages I could find. Was a hard decision since I quit playing in a band about 12 years ago and sold all my amp stuff. So here it is. The looks of this tiny thing is superb! Really like the "industrial" style. BUT: I couldn't get THE tone from it since the first run. It is ether too harsh or too undefined. Main guitar is an ESP horizon nt2 w/ Duncan Jeff beck in drop b tuning. I mean, it has a lot of bass for that tiny cab but the hi gain sounds are weak. Let me share the eq later. All I want to say is: I was close to give it back. I couldn't get any sound from it I like. And by far nothing like all videos (probably a lot of reworked eq?). I changed strings, cables, and even adjusted the height of the humbucker. Nothing brought me close. Eq is (now): tone 2, dynamics 7, volume 2 in 15w, treble 2, mid -2, bass 2 1/2, drive 8, mostly no boost but if engaged 3.

Today:
My last idea was to purchase a moon OD 808 and: wow! It turned my amp into exactly that tone that was looking for. Tight (I have to admit that the amp is tight enough but the pedal just beat it by far), clear, almost massive with slightly more gain but no sign of mud. Just pure music to my ears. Setting of the 808 is ( from left to right) completely left, middle position, 3/4 right. Holy sh...! I cannot get enough but had to quit with raged to my neighbors.

So my actual question is: do you experience the same w/o external boost in a similar tuning, similar guitar? It really makes me wonder since everyone is comparing it to e.g a 5150 but mine was just not close to a "metal" amp. And does someone uses the 808 and is also blown away?

By the way I really like this forum and this actually helped a lot in the first place to go for the laney. A lot of really cool sounds via soundclound etc. I am very impressed and happy to participate. Even if I am a bit rusty in terms of Amps, tech etc

maybe one minor thing to add. Before I sold my stuff I used to play an engl power all through a crate 4*12 vintage 30 and a bbe sonic stomp. That was always my perfect tone. I guess the IRT just replaced it :)

Thanks for reading and cheers

chassless

Don'tDeserveMyGuitar
Reaction score
^ yes, definitely, the amp needs a pedal of some sort for it to be really good. i used an EQ pedal up front and the amp roared, but it was really noisy there so i put it in the loop and it still works great. i can't use the amp without it now.

tscoolberth

Reaction score
IRT Studio owner here, just confirming that the EL84s power tubes are self biasing. I've had stock Ruby's and Sovtek's in the there.

First posts about the pre amp tubes are spot on for the Studio. Currently I have

V1 Tung Sol
V2 JJ
V3 JJ
V4 Sovtek

I always use a Protone DH OD, or Ibanex Tube Screamer OD. Max volume, min gain.

I've found you can more "depth" by pushing Bass, Mid, & Treb past Noon and backing off gain below 5. Many great videos out there where you can nick the settings. Mid always highest and "pulled".

Have NEVER gotten this thing to sound good with active EMG stocked guitars. (And I like EMGs)

Jaimie

Pinkie Anchorer
Reaction score
GUYS!

So Ibanez/Laney UK set me up with a pulse (I already have the studio and use that for recording/live) one of the new Ironheart Pulse amps and I've done a demo of it as well as how to record with USB. There aren't any videos about how to do this online (as of yet) except for Chimp Spanner's video on YouTube (helpful for me to create the one I got tasked to do!) so it's great the video has filled the gap on the technical front about how to do this.

Same works for the Ironheart studio btw, you just need to have a lead out from the studio to PC if you are reamping whereas pulse is just a single USB lead for everything.

I'm no mastermind at recording/producing so took a LONG time trying to do this myself but it really is quite simple! I should really go on an Advanced Pro Tools course sometime..... :nuts:

Here's a litle vid I did. Thanks again to Ibanez and Laney for all your support.

Recording via USB with the Laney Ironheart

PS. Posted this on the Ironheart Pulse thread but seeing as it's the same jazz for the Ironheart studio I think it was appropriate you lot see this!

JP

lewis

Reaction score
Has anyone bought the John Browne (monuments) tone bundle, which includes Kemper profiles of the Ironheart 120 watt amp, and got any feedback on them?. There is 4 in total in the pack. Do they sound great or not etc?

Thyrif

Reaction score
I've put some new 12ax7's in there. I believe some tung sols high grade and a GE 12ax7WA in V1. The recording out didn't sound very good for me, no matter what impulses, so I use an isocab. Which cab/speaker is used also makes a world of difference, I use V30's in my isocab and a Carvin Legacy 2x12 (the ironheart cabs are kinda low end). Also, quickly started using a Mesa 50/50 (6L6's) as a power amp, instead of the built in Laney one (works because of the power soak that's built in). Now it has the perfect sound for me: tight, punchy, complex overtones and plenty clarity.

Can definitely recommend the tubes and using a good speaker/cab. Then I added the Mesa for more awesomeness. It's just not that light of a package anymore xD

fanfan

Reaction score
Here 's a demo i made with my stock Laney IRT Studio which for home use i pair it with the Torpedo VB101 cab/mic simulator.

Some old classic rawk tune
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UOjzrH9D0Q

Using channel 2, no boost
15w input
Gain 8
Bass -1
Middle 0
Treble +2
Volume 4
Dynamics -1
Tone +2

Guitar is a Charvel So Cal MIM stock

lewis

Reaction score
I have taken one of the Keith Merrow laney Ironheart profiles on my Kemper, changed it quite alot incl the Cab sound, and now Im getting a great modern tone on my 8 string with it. Happy days.

mrdm53

Reaction score
I need help about IRT Studio.

Anyone knows what tube position is for Rhythm channel? It seems that my preamp tube is bad, when i roll the treble knob, sometimes the gain is turned down. Weird thing is, on Clean channel there's no problem

So, which tube that need to be replaced? I just replaced my power tube a month ago or so, so there's no way that the problem lies on power tube

chassless

Don'tDeserveMyGuitar
Reaction score
^ same here, the rhythm channel feels weak and bland, compared to before, but the clean channel is still fine...

Ericjutsu

Reaction score
well I sold my IRT STudio. It was a great little head and had really cool and convenient features but I couldn't justify keeping it when I have my Line 6 Helix now.

Veritech Zero

Jeffy Turbo
Reaction score
Different strokes for different folks! My IRT-60 has definitely stood the test of time, I've had nearly a dozen amps since I first got my ironheart and it is the only amp that I still own from that time. Glad you enjoy the Helix that much though, so far I have only heard good things about it.

')