The Les Paul thread

• Thread starter budda
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

momochi

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Heres my first ever guitar, some early 2000s Epiphone Les Paul Custom that I had repainted and modded with bkp juggies.

Attachments

• IMG_1965.jpg
    IMG_1965.jpg
    752.6 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_8901.jpg
    IMG_8901.jpg
    735 KB · Views: 26

xzacx

Reaction score
Found a pic of an R9 I used to have. This one was in Amber Orange Burst, from the 50th Anniversary series they did back in '09. Pretty unique look for an R9, and not necessarily my favorite, but finding thees pics made me appreciate it a little more than I did at the time.

pgbaeajtjtqjl7eqcmhx.jpg

fabronaut

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've got a MIK Epiphone gold top that needs a lot of TLC -- the Reverb seller didn't really indicate that the frets were more or less completely shot or worn to hell. she certainly looks the part, but I've been lazy and haven't learned how to refret and / or practiced enough on leveling and crowning cheaper project guitars I have kicking around. when I get around to it, I'll likely gut all the electronics. I have a pair of P90's and / or mini humbuckers on the shelf waiting to be used...

epiphone 50's goldtop MIK.png

on the opposite end of the spectrum, the Agile LP (3200 ?) I have is beautiful, with all the sort of crazy on paper bells and whistles I would want: the multi piece neck holds tune absurdly well, the super ergonomic neck through body, graphite Graphtech nut and saddles, SS frets, etc. etc. but... it weighs a fuckton. it's ridiculous. Plus I think Agile makes the waist of the guitar a lot larger / fatter, which exacerbates the weight problem even further and makes it less comfortable in my lap, which is annoying. fantastic guitar with the weight being the fatal flaw, really. maybe if they made it out of a different density, type, or grade of wood that wouldn't be an issue, but nevertheless, it's a frustration.

out of the many Gibson LP's I've tried (but have yet to own!), I've only come across three that I thought were anywhere near worth the Gibson brand name markup, with one of them being absolutely stellar. naturally it had to be the most expensive Murphy Lab model available at this large Canadian retailer... it's worth anywhere from 3 - 5x as much as my car probably is 🤣 and that was the "sale" price vs. list MSRP no less. it's pretty sneaky / smart that they switched to having no prices listed directly on any tags in the store. you have to scan the QR code with your phone, and it pops up the website inventory listing with the price. kinda surprised that's legal, but I'm sure it meets the minimum standard somehow.

mildly irksome that that of course had to be the one that had that magical "thing" that resonated with me. I really wish a fraction of that glory would trickle down to any of others I've tried over the years. I'd gladly take a standard or classic model's price tag with that neck and magic combination of pickups and wiring. funny how running the rest of the rack with the same type of humbuckers in there and often same wiring didn't get anywhere close to that one. I could probably try to find a good example of another LP model and get it PLEK'd, as the shop charges a nominal fee to get that done if you buy it from them and bundle it with purchase.

I still don't know exactly what "R9 / R8" means. I assume it means reissue of a 1958 or 1959 model? Gibson's catalogue minutiae and hair splitting between models always confused me. I've considered doing a payment plan on it, as they don't charge interest... but the sensible part of me says "you don't make that much and are saving for a mortgage etc." and yet...

Last edited:

xzacx

Reaction score
I still don't know exactly what "R9 / R8" means. I assume it means reissue of a 1958 or 1959 model? Gibson's catalogue minutiae and hair splitting between models always confused me. I've considered doing a payment plan on it, as they don't charge interest... but the sensible part of me says "you don't make that much and are saving for a mortgage etc." and yet...
You got it, '58 and '59 reissues. Quick explanation is R8s have plain tops and bigger necks, R9s are more flamey and little thinner necks. (R0s have thinner necks, R7s are Goldtops, R6s have P90s, and R5s are wrap-tails.) Lots of individual exceptions and special runs though—you can find R8s with a lot of figuring and the necks, being handmade, tend to vary.

Last edited:

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Found a pic of an R9 I used to have. This one was in Amber Orange Burst, from the 50th Anniversary series they did back in '09. Pretty unique look for an R9, and not necessarily my favorite, but finding thees pics made me appreciate it a little more than I did at the time.

pgbaeajtjtqjl7eqcmhx.jpg
Someone on another board is trying to trade theirs - neck is fatter than their 60th anni spec and its not working out.

fabronaut

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
ah cool, that makes sense. so " R # " is kind of shorthand for whichever year in the 1950's they're aiming at, as a ballpark for the particular configuration and hardware? I didn't realize it was a combination of both neck profile and general top / colour or what have you, beyond the obvious ones (like a 50's goldtop being uh, gold... versus the flame maple tops on others). maybe I'll happen across something that's in the same vein that scratches the itch. I guess I've always wanted something in that vein, for whatever reason.

is everything in the Gibson product line handmade / shaped after you go past a certain point or model tier? good to know that there can be a lot of variance in them if that's the case. all the pickup selections on the ones I tried were apparently identical, at a glance (custombucker Alnico 3?) but they sounded quite different in each, which I suppose can also be down to other variables -- how high they're set, small variations in winding, etc. the one I really liked seemed to nail all the little details in ways I really liked, such as the pot taper and separate volumes being really interactive. ofc that's all super subjective, but that's half the fun in searching, I guess. if only it was a lot closer to my splurge budget! :lol:

I'm never sure if "handmade" in this instance means that they shave it down by hand on a belt sander or w/e, or if it's all done with traditional tools with the finer details and QC being done by hand. if they had any of the Eastman LP's available, I'd love to have tried those too, as I know those are handcarved / shaped as well. I was told that some customers get so attached to their particular neck that they want to order another that's essentially the same, only to be told that it's pretty much impossible to do that. :lol: I might be screwed if they happen to still have that specific serial number hanging on the rack next time I pop by. thanks for the info!

dmlinger

PepperFox Guitars
Reaction score
Did it Crack the Skye after you Hunted it down?
Yes, but it is sending my GAS into Remission. I think I’ll be on the hunt for an Explorer or unique SG next. Maybe an RD if the right one pops up.

Seriously though, it fucking rules. And I love Mastodon. The Lace pickups are nice! I had my doubts but they will stay

Manurack

Nunavut Inuk
Reaction score
My Goldtop. I took this portrait style shot during the holidays a few years back.

I have gold pickup covers on the DiMarzio PAF neck pickup and the Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge, it looked way better with the pickup covers because when I got it, it came with black Seymour Duncan Alnico II pickups. I installed Grover tuners because the Kluson tuners sucked after one of the green plastic tuners broke and I had to super glue it back together. Also changed the volume and tone knobs from top hat knobs to speed knobs because I think they look way better on an LP.

I also added gold Dunlop straplocks, I eventually want to change all the hardware to gold hardware... It'll be the Golden Goldtop! Mark Morton of Lamb of God is the reason I bought a Goldtop, the guitar is next to my huge painting of Mark Morton too.
FB_IMG_1663912417224.jpg

Last edited:

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, but it is sending my GAS into Remission. I think I’ll be on the hunt for an Explorer or unique SG next. Maybe an RD if the right one pops up.

Seriously though, it fucking rules. And I love Mastodon. The Lace pickups are nice! I had my doubts but they will stay
I saw a used one at our national dealer for the same price as a new standard. Wasnt that curious haha.

And your collection sure did swell since I made this thread :lol:

dmlinger

PepperFox Guitars
Reaction score
I saw a used one at our national dealer for the same price as a new standard. Wasnt that curious haha.

And your collection sure did swell since I made this thread :lol:
Dude, yes! After that first Custom arrived I understood what the fuss was about and it’s a real thing. Dad rock be damned, LPs riff hard.

I ended up getting a great deal on this one. Paid well less than a new Standard and it’s somewhere between Excellent and Mint.

I really am done for now! Unless a silverburst pops up that I can’t ignore haha

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Nice. That's what I wanted to do to my last studio, but I didn't own it long enough :lol:.

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So I went to GC this past weekend to try out a few guitars. I had to sell my Schecter a few months back. But I'm hoping to replace it soon. I've always wanted to see a Silver burst LP in person and they had this. All I can say is after sitting down with it, I get the LP thing now. And I hate that I couldn't bring this thing home and swap in some Duncan Black winters.
PXL_20220921_223806522~2.jpg

')