The Les Paul thread

• Thread starter budda
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wiretap

Reaction score
I went against advice (per usual) and bought a guitar I couldn't try first (seller's pictures):

View attachment 147557

We'll see how it is! I'm ready to throw some work into it to make it killer. I've always like the idea of Orvilles, and I couldn't find a Gibbons that I loved the look of. So - another Fujigen guitar for me!

I generally buy guitars online without trying. Granted, if it’s a more expensive purchase I try to go through something with a return policy but I have yet to have any horrible experience like getting a total dog. Even the LPC I got that arrived with a broken headstock thanks to UPS is now a champ after the repair.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score

Stiman

Reaction score
I generally buy guitars online without trying. Granted, if it’s a more expensive purchase I try to go through something with a return policy but I have yet to have any horrible experience like getting a total dog. Even the LPC I got that arrived with a broken headstock thanks to UPS is now a champ after the repair.

So you decided to keep it with the broken headstock? Did you get a mad discount/money back?

Jon Pearson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

I'm much the same. Generally I've been able to solve most things with a setup and maybe a touch up on solder. Had a couple dogs in my time but that's the game 🤷

wiretap

Reaction score
So you decided to keep it with the broken headstock? Did you get a mad discount/money back?

Yeah, they gave me a discount even though the reverb policy had expired, (bought it on tour and didn’t get home to check it out until nearly a month later) and that covered the repair. It’s also heavily reliced so the repair doesn’t look out of place (it’s the black LPC I posted a few pages back, quite a few photos in this thread) and I got a killer price on it to begin with. I did file a claim with UPS but that was mostly a waste of time. I bought it with the intentions of having it refinished eventually, also. If it had been brand new or something, I probably would’ve wanted to return it or whatever but as it is it’s fine - Plays great and sounds awesome.

wiretap

Reaction score
WELP, was cruising TGP and saw a refinished LPC with a headstock repair being sold for $1475. Unfortunately, after responding a few times last night I haven’t heard back from the guy today so I assume it sold. Was an ugly refinish but hey, could’ve refinished that one instead of the black one.. Do I need another LpC? No. But for $1475?!! Hard to turn down a deal like that.

Jon Pearson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
1000012542.png

She a player! Came today. Tuners were shitted but luckily I had a spare set.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
WELP, was cruising TGP and saw a refinished LPC with a headstock repair being sold for $1475. Unfortunately, after responding a few times last night I haven’t heard back from the guy today so I assume it sold. Was an ugly refinish but hey, could’ve refinished that one instead of the black one.. Do I need another LpC? No. But for $1475?!! Hard to turn down a deal like that.
Im immensely wary of deals like that, but a forum pal did get a white lpc for $700usd this way :lol:

There’s a white turned cream 88? Lpc way up North for $3500. Buddy must have thought it would sell so fast.

Neck is stripped and brown mahogany staring at you from first to 22nd backside :lol:. Those necks werent thick…

If i remember i’ll find a pic. More like $1500…

wiretap

Reaction score
Im immensely wary of deals like that, but a forum pal did get a white lpc for $700usd this way :lol:

Generally yeah, I’m the same. But he had all positive feedback on TGP from buying/selling, plus there’s the added layer that you have to be a paying member to buy/sell on TGP. Still could’ve been funky but that made me less weary. Here’s a pic of the guitar, which is definitely real. I suspect the low price was the headstock repair, the refinish covering the serial, and he didn’t know the year due to the refinish as well. Obviously parts have been changed on top of all that. Just a lot of mods. He said he’d owned it for seven years, and it looks like an ebony board to me, but the more modern headstock post-Norlin/early Henry J era so I’d say it’s late 90s at the earliest, late 2000s at the latest.

Attachments

• IMG_6649.jpeg
    IMG_6649.jpeg
    1,016.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_6650.jpeg
    IMG_6650.jpeg
    937.9 KB · Views: 9

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
black light tells all unless the headstock got really deep sanded (usually around 1mm for the stamp i think?) - that's how I verified my 79.

wiretap

Reaction score
black light tells all unless the headstock got really deep sanded (usually around 1mm for the stamp i think?) - that's how I verified my 79.

That’s true, I’m not too sure, you might be able to see it with a black light. you can see the headstock repair in this photo - looks like one of the typical ways the Gibson headstock tends to break -

Attachments

• IMG_6653.jpeg
    IMG_6653.jpeg
    540.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_6654.jpeg
    IMG_6654.jpeg
    808.5 KB · Views: 11

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
That’s true, I’m not too sure, you might be able to see it with a black light. you can see the headstock repair in this photo - looks like one of the typical ways the Gibson headstock tends to break -
Hm thats not where i expect to see a break or repair lol. The flake finish is fun!

wiretap

Reaction score
Hm thats not where i expect to see a break or repair lol. The flake finish is fun!

It’s not as common as the “smile” break that generally happens underneath where the custom shop logo would be but I’ve definitely seen this type a few times. Quick google search for LP breaks found this one near the top:

Attachments

• IMG_6655.jpeg
    IMG_6655.jpeg
    47.3 KB · Views: 7

wiretap

Reaction score
There’s a white turned cream 88? Lpc way up North for $3500. Buddy must have thought it would sell so fast.

Neck is stripped and brown mahogany staring at you from first to 22nd backside :lol:. Those necks werent thick…

I think I’ve seen that one online? Or at least one just like it. Had a really bad looking stripped neck, just not done well at all.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I think I’ve seen that one online? Or at least one just like it. Had a really bad looking stripped neck, just not done well at all.
The fact that its over 5 hours from the nearest large city and overpriced for the “mod” means its gonna be there for a while unless it drops considerably. The necks werent thick so I dont know why this was done :lol:

IMG_1229.jpeg

wiretap

Reaction score
The fact that its over 5 hours from the nearest large city and overpriced for the “mod” means its gonna be there for a while unless it drops considerably. The necks werent thick so I dont know why this was done :lol:

View attachment 147825

Ok this is not the same one I saw. And they probably did it just because they liked the unfinished neck feel over the sticky nitro. My black relic’d LPC also has a stripped neck and I won’t lie, I’ve gotten pretty spoiled by how smooth and effortless it is.

IMG_6047.jpeg

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
But all you need is a brillo pad to take the shine off. The fact that the reflection is the same level on the stripped and ebony part of your neck tells me it probably still has a finish on it :yesway: possibly still nitro? Sweat alone doesnt get glossy afaik.

The one I posted, that neck was refinished given how brown it is.

wiretap

Reaction score
But all you need is a brillo pad to take the shine off. The fact that the reflection is the same level on the stripped and ebony part of your neck tells me it probably still has a finish on it :yesway: possibly still nitro? Sweat alone doesnt get glossy afaik.

The one I posted, that neck was refinished given how brown it is.

I mean, I don’t think so? It’s probably got some oil in it, my guess would be tru-oil or something similar, but definitely no finish. You can see where the nitro ends, slightly yellower along the edges of black; But, it could still have some sorta sealant layer, I don’t really know enough about finishing to say. I do know it’s faaarrr more smooth and slick than my finished necks.

Attachments

• IMG_5866.jpeg
    IMG_5866.jpeg
    339.8 KB · Views: 4

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Tru-oil is a finish - something to protect the wood or stain underneath :yesway:

Latest posts

')