The Les Paul thread

• Thread starter budda
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

NexusMT

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hi Gibson LP Lovers,

I got this week an Flying V Custom (new, absolute dream guitar, NGD soon) and I was really disappointed with the Factory setup.

- String action way too high
- Strings not stretched
- Lower string poor winded

So far I haven't seen any construction issues, everything looks great except a very minor binding paint imperfection.

What's your experience with Factory Setup of new Gibson guitars ? Honestly for the price of the guitar (>5K€) I was expecting way better setup.

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
Hi Gibson LP Lovers,

I got this week an Flying V Custom (new, absolute dream guitar, NGD soon) and I was really disappointed with the Factory setup.

- Strings not stretched

So far I haven't seen any construction issues, everything looks great except a very minor binding paint imperfection.

What's your experience with Factory Setup of new Gibson guitars ? Honestly for the price of the guitar (>5K€) I was expecting way better setup.
Action is always set higher out of the factory, because low action could be buzzing by the time it gets to the store. Sounds to me like you just need to re-string and lower the bridge a couple turns to your liking. Don't confuse luthier setups with Dave at the factory.

NexusMT

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Action is always set higher out of the factory, because low action could be buzzing by the time it gets to the store. Sounds to me like you just need to re-string and lower the bridge a couple turns to your liking. Don't confuse luthier setups with Dave at the factory.

Sure I dont want to compare Dave at the factory with professionals but all my new guitars came with a reasonable string action. My Ibanez RGD came perfect from factory I havent change it so far and my Solar needed very small adjustments.

My main issue is, for the price of a Custom Shop I was expecting a Good Dave Setup from Factory.

Rubbishplayer

Forgive the typos...I'm all thumbs on this thing..
Reaction score
Ever since I sold off my Gibson LP Standard 60s (it was too heavy to play sitting down. I know, I'm a wimp), I've been itching to get a Les Paul that does work for me.

I'm kind torn between the new Gibson Les Paul Modern Studio and the new IBG Epiphone Les Paul Custom. They are wildly different, I know.

Gibson Les Paul Modern Studio
Pros:
- real Gibson
- light
- ebony board
- 490R/480T pickups

Cons:
- satin finish sadly :(
- no HSC

IBG Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Pros:
- 490R/498T pickups
- that Custom LP look
- HSC
- about $1,400 CAD cheaper than the Modern Studio
- they seem to be in the 8 to high 8 lbs range (perfect weight)

Cons:
- not a real Gibson (but has the Gibson head stock shape!)

Such a tough choice. I've also looked into finding a used Gibson LP Classic. That was the logical choice, as it's almost the same as a Standard but with the weight relief (yay!!) but the few that I've found were actually heavier than my Standard was. Pretty weird. I could also find a used previous iteration LP Studio, but then I would lose the ebony board...
If it's not too late, and you are considering an Epi, may I suggest a Korean-made original Epiphone Les Paul Custom?

It may not have the Gibson-shaped headstock (though I prefer that lack of pretense) but my son and I got a brace of them (one black, one white) and they both play fantastically and compare well with the best LPs out there (think Burny level) with a fret level and good set up. Indeed, I was genuinely surprised, I actually prefer it to my Gibson, which has given me a bit of an unexpected dilemma...

Plus it has that LP Custom look. Upgraded with Seymour Duncans and all nickel hardware, my one is a genuine no-regrets buy.

Better still, you could probably pick up a good one for under £300.

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
Sure I dont want to compare Dave at the factory with professionals but all my new guitars came with a reasonable string action. My Ibanez RGD came perfect from factory I havent change it so far and my Solar needed very small adjustments.

My main issue is, for the price of a Custom Shop I was expecting a Good Dave Setup from Factory.
... a couple twists of the bridge raises and lowers the bridge. There is no way for the guy at the shop to know your preferences. Gibson ships their guitars with a 5/64 action on the low side whereas most other companies are 4/64 (or even 3/64). If you are used to that, I can understand where you think it is particularly high. Just lower it a tad.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Gibson LP Lovers,

- Strings not stretched

Action is personal. Strings not stretched simple fix. Maybe it was restrung at the shop before it was shipped.

I just see non-issues here :2c:

Stiman

Reaction score
If it's not too late, and you are considering an Epi, may I suggest a Korean-made original Epiphone Les Paul Custom?

It may not have the Gibson-shaped headstock (though I prefer that lack of pretense) but my son and I got a brace of them (one black, one white) and they both play fantastically and compare well with the best LPs out there (think Burny level) with a fret level and good set up. Indeed, I was genuinely surprised, I actually prefer it to my Gibson, which has given me a bit of an unexpected dilemma...

Plus it has that LP Custom look. Upgraded with Seymour Duncans and all nickel hardware, my one is a genuine no-regrets buy.

Better still, you could probably pick up a good one for under £300.

I was under the impression that the MIC ones were an improvement to the MIK in terms of fit and finish. Could be wrong though, and obviously that comes down to each individual guitar.

More importantly, I thought the Korean ones all came with rosewood boards. At least the ones I've seen. It's a no-go for me. LPC with rosewood :barf:
A LP standard/classic/etc... are fine with rosewood though. I do like rosewood in general, just not on a LPC.

As crazy as it sounds, and I know I'm gonna get flamed hard for this, I'm thinking about maybe going for a PRS McCarty 594 SC instead to satisfy my LP needs. :flame:

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Eh, its a singlecut that absolutely isnt a les paul. Ive had two, dont miss em, great guitars.

gasolinedreams

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
20240828_103621.jpg

New guitar, not posting the headstock on purpose since it doesn't say Gibson :fawk:
It's a Tokai. Feels pretty good so far.

Rubbishplayer

Forgive the typos...I'm all thumbs on this thing..
Reaction score
I was under the impression that the MIC ones were an improvement to the MIK in terms of fit and finish. Could be wrong though, and obviously that comes down to each individual guitar.

More importantly, I thought the Korean ones all came with rosewood boards. At least the ones I've seen. It's a no-go for me. LPC with rosewood :barf:
A LP standard/classic/etc... are fine with rosewood though. I do like rosewood in general, just not on a LPC.

As crazy as it sounds, and I know I'm gonna get flamed hard for this, I'm thinking about maybe going for a PRS McCarty 594 SC instead to satisfy my LP needs. :flame:
Having recently tried a MIC Epi LPC, I wouldn't trade it for my MIK, which is several steps above IMHO. As for the rosewood board, it is almost as dark as ebony, possibly stained, so cosmetically it's good.

But hey, judge for yourself...
1000011408.jpg

')