The Linux Experiment.

• Thread starter Metal Ken
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Starting installation! It didn't kill the CD-ROM which was freaking amazing! lol! I've got my Mountain Dew ready, install guide on the other laptop and my 12-cd thing with 30+ cds in it in case I want to install another distro afterward :lol: My roommate came in with another guy and he was like "why the fuck is it so hot in here?" :lol:

installing.jpg

I already updated everything and installed and updated fluxbox and opera but whatever, updating and installing more stuff

updating.jpg

and running the homepage :shrug: couldn't figure out how to screencap so I just took pics :lol:

working.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
Really? thats promising. i've been meaning to check it out since i saw it.

later today, i think i'm going to reconfig everything. i'll have Win2k, Debain 4.0, and Studio 64 spanning 3 HD's. should be cool!

once i get the Debian back up and running, i'll see if i can't record something in Studio 64, even if it's just garbage.

Buzz762

Destroyer of Worlds
Contributor
Reaction score
It's been a few days, how's everyone's Linux experience going?

I'm giving PC-BSD a try right now.. For the most part, I like it. There's still little differences, but I like it.

JBroll

Hard-On For Freedom™
Contributor
Reaction score
Hmm, I see Ubuntu-slamming but no little reminders that Ubuntu is Deb-based, has all of the Deb capabilities the average user needs (and is an apt-get away from what little is left), installs more quickly than the clunkers that get shoved onto DVDs or 5 CDs, recognizes hardware as well as anything out there, and can be stripped down as well as one could possibly want...

I'm also not feeling the love for Slackware. Curious.

Jeff

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I think a lot of ubuntu-hate comes from the fact that it came from pretty much nowhere, is not really anything glorious, and receives this surge of attention :shrug:

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
I think a lot of ubuntu-hate comes from the fact that it came from pretty much nowhere, is not really anything glorious, and receives this surge of attention :shrug:

The fact that it isnt the most glorious, e-dick enlarging distro is its strength though. its designed to get people into linux, which it does fine. it did it for me.

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
it was an Ubuntu Live CD that got me into Linux, as well. but, i decided to go Fedora Core a few years ago, mainly due to the LARGE online documentation. every problem i had was pretty much solveable with Google.

got bored though, and decided to go straight Debian.

JBroll

Hard-On For Freedom™
Contributor
Reaction score
Hell, it was a good starter for me (and I've been playing with computers since before I could walk and talk properly), right now I have everything stripped down completely so the only original part of the installation is the hardware configuration it did at the very beginning. Apart from that, I'm using Enlightenment as my window manager, terminals to manage and open everything, XMMS, a bunch of computer algebra stuff, some Fortran and C++, and, as the only sane and normal part of my setup, Firefox 2. If something can go from a Windows-killer (for the family) to a stripped-down beast of a math-homework killer (for me) it's got the capability to do just about anything the average person needs.

Hell, Ubuntu wasn't designed to be a great distro in and of itself, it was designed to get more movement into Linux and make the first steps easier. It has done its job well, by any fair estimation.

Jeff

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Hell, Ubuntu wasn't designed to be a great distro in and of itself, it was designed to get more movement into Linux and make the first steps easier. It has done its job well, by any fair estimation.

Thats what i'm preachin'.

BigM555

I SS.org Salute You!
Contributor
Reaction score
Can't help it. I'm still a HUGE fan of SimplyMEPIS.

It's very good with hardware detection (on par or better than Ubuntu from what I've seen). With the latest 6.5 release you could literaly throw the LiveCD at a Linux newbie, and assuming it detects their hardware, they'd be up and running the LiveCD in about 3 minutes.

If they decide to do a full install it takes all of about 10 minutes and it will essentially have everything working that a person would have with a pre-installed Windblows system without all the bloatware (love the new Mac ad btw) and it will include a full office suite! :hbang:

It's taken Linux a while but all the nay sayers that say it's not ready for the desktop or "prime time" are selling it short IMO.

It's now as easy to install Linux (easier IMO) as it is to go to the local big box store and walk out with a Mac or PC with pre-installed OS.

:2c:

JBroll

Hard-On For Freedom™
Contributor
Reaction score
So far I haven't tried another LiveCD that got as close to recognizing my tablet PC as the 6.06 Ubuntu I put on almost a year ago, it was literally a copy-and-paste away from full functionality and everything else has taken much more work when it did actually function. Mepis is nice, but doesn't quite do it for me.

It's not Linux users who are saying that Linux isn't more efficient or effective or user-friendly, it's the people who stand to lose money over it.

Jeff

Jeff

Banned from Reality
Reaction score
I can't wait for Ubuntu Studio to come out. I've got an Athlon 2500+ w/ mobo just waiting for it.

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Anyone's thoughts on Solaris 10? Just curious.

Jeff
It came on my system, eh, I'd go for OpenSuse or something else, it works fine in and of itself, but the management and stuff is just retarded imo.

lordofthesewers

Reaction score
actually the new Ubuntu 7.04 is pretty awesome. I did a clean install while keepin the home partition i had since 6.06. Detected everything. Now installing proprietary codecs and drivers is really painless. Detected all my hardware, including webcam and webcam mic (which is surprising, cause 6.06, detected neither, and was able to use neither except the cam for taking pictures). I will be installing vmware server here shortly to install windows xp sp2 and AIM5.9 so i can take lessons from steve smyth by webcam without using my mom's laptop anymore.
I'm telling you this one delivers.
What I can't use is line in direct guitar recording, due to the gayness of intelhda.
There is also this totally awesome program, called tuxguitar (got from freshmeat) that can open guitar pro and powertab files AND play the sound using midi, including the drums and all that out of the box on ubuntu.
I got cedega 6.0 working in a few minutes, and got back my cs:source installation from 6.06, and CS:source works like a charm, except pixel shader 2.0 which works, but doesn't get that great of a performance on my machine on linux yet, but decent graphics, all settings maxed, good performance. UT2004 runs natively and rapes too.
In about 2 hours after the installation i had a full blown linux doing everything i need, including shit recording via webcam mic and Audacity with everything up to date and fast. I single boot ubuntu and it is awesome. Plus the new one has some nice eye candy too.
I can't wait for ubuntu studio, as i will be building a new computer for recording and getting rid of this one and putting ubuntu studio on it. :shred:
check out my desktop screenshot too:
ubuntuwx4.png

JBroll

Hard-On For Freedom™
Contributor
Reaction score
I ran a dist-upgrade overnight to 7.04, haven't tried that annoying GNOME shit (I run Enlightenment) but I'm sure it'll look nicer than the last time I tried it (months ago) if I feel like pretending I'm in Linux For Luddites 101 and going back to a desktop environment. Boot time seems to be a little bit slower (up to about 18 seconds from 15 or 16), but apart from that I haven't noticed much of anything new.

On that note, I just ordered the parts for the desktop I'll be taking with me when I move out - AMD 64 X2, 4400+ I believe, ASUS Crossfire-enabled motherboard, ATI x1900GT video card, 2GB RAM, and a shiny black case, so after I grab my monitor, keyboard, mouse, four metric shittons of adapters and external boxes, sound card(s), and hard drive I'll have one hell of a machine. And one hell of a build... goddamned thermal paste.

Jeff

lordofthesewers

Reaction score
I ran a dist-upgrade overnight to 7.04, haven't tried that annoying GNOME shit (I run Enlightenment) but I'm sure it'll look nicer than the last time I tried it (months ago) if I feel like pretending I'm in Linux For Luddites 101 and going back to a desktop environment. Boot time seems to be a little bit slower (up to about 18 seconds from 15 or 16), but apart from that I haven't noticed much of anything new.

On that note, I just ordered the parts for the desktop I'll be taking with me when I move out - AMD 64 X2, 4400+ I believe, ASUS Crossfire-enabled video card, ATI x1900GT video card, 2GB RAM, and a shiny black case, so after I grab my monitor, keyboard, mouse, four metric shittons of adapters and external boxes, sound card(s), and hard drive I'll have one hell of a machine. And one hell of a build... goddamned thermal paste.

Jeff

I love GNOME, but to each its own.
BTW, why did you order ATI, since most people blame them for shit linux drivers? I've had both ATI and Nvidia and i was happy with both, although i had ati 2 years ago, so things have improved by now, but they were pretty good. I am just wondering.
Are you gonna put ubuntu studio on the new machine for recording and shit, or just 7.04?

JBroll

Hard-On For Freedom™
Contributor
Reaction score
I went ATI because the price worked out better and I can fix anything people complain about with bad drivers. My laptop has an X1400 and its Linux performance smokes anything I've tried in Windows (Guru3D tweaked drivers included) so I don't think that's an issue. The X1900 (256MB VRAM, can't argue) destroyed anything else I could get for the price (I am planning on a dual-card configuration later, so factor in a good dual-video-supporting motherboard to the price), and it overclocks better.

I'm not likely to use Ubuntu Studio permanently, I'll give it a try along with 64Studio and Dyne:bolic but I'll probably just settle on Debian or FC6 and put together what I want from there. Seeing as how I don't even use a desktop environment or 90% of the stuff packaged in any of those distributions, it makes very little difference, but if a test run of Ubuntu Studio blows me away it might stick on there.

I'm not putting 7.04 on anything new, the only reason I upgraded was to get a new kernel and more support for things because of it. I've set things up from base installations of Ubuntu and Fedora before, and would gladly trade the extra time for the control and compatibility I'd be getting from just setting up the DAW by hand. I see no benefit from 7.04, and there were kernel problems out the ass when it was first released so if I go with Ubuntu I'll stick with my trusty 6.06 - and then rape the intestines out of it with the list of things to remove that I paste into the command-line on all new installations. That's probably the biggest thing that bugs me about Ubuntu - so many things to remove, so little time. At least with Fedora I can choose to just not install two-thirds of the stuff it has checked by default (what the fuck am I going to do with children's games, TTF packages for every language that ever existed, five different browsers, GNOME, KDE, Fluxbox, XFCE, WTFXE, and eight thousand penguin icons?) and not waste the time installing and uninstalling it, but Ubuntu? Nope. Oh well, all of that perfect hardware setup comes at a price, and that price is underestimating my intelligence in package management.

Jeff

')