The mahogany S7 i built

ohio_eric

Contributor
Reaction score
:drool:

I want it!! That guitar is damn sexy. Very nice work.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Faine

Playing guitar.
Reaction score
Awesome man, It looks beautiful, Nice body!

AVH

avhguitarrepair.com
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Bravo! :yesway: A mahog S7 with an ebony board, just a super job.

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
thanks dudes!

Tony, i can't post my router templates because i don't have them in any digital format. i made them all by hand by tracing my old 540S7. as far as i know, nobody makes 7-string templates of anything. i had to make all of mine.

What material did you make them out of? I'm looking to have all acrylic templates with the centerlines on them, even if I have to make some of them my self also. Would you be able to photograph yours, even from a distance?

scott from _actual time_

grumpy old man
Contributor
Reaction score
What material did you make them out of? I'm looking to have all acrylic templates with the centerlines on them, even if I have to make some of them my self also.

i make mine from MDF first, to make sure i get them absolutely correct. then i make acrylic master-versions:

S7mhg-bodyblank.jpg

the centerlines i figure out by measuring and i mark on with a fine-tip sharpie (you can see the tiny centerline marks on the template in that pic). that way they won't rub off, but i can still erase them with rubbing alcohol if i find i've made a mistake.

a great resource for all things about guitar building is projectguitar.com.

Groff

Medicine Chief/RHLC©
Contributor
Reaction score
Nice job man!

Mahogony has such a nice texture

RGGR

Reaction score
How did you drill that input/output jack???

S7mhg-done-body2.jpg

scott from _actual time_

grumpy old man
Contributor
Reaction score
How did you drill that input/output jack???
the S-series jack hole is at a 60-degree angle from vertical. i drill the counter-sunk wider part with a 7/8" Forstner bit and the table on my drill press slanted way over at 60 degrees (that's so far over it's off the tilt scale, so i measure wth a protractor). then before i unclamp the body, i swap the Forstner for a 1/2" bit and drill the smaller hole that holds the actual jack.

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
That's cool. I did a neck single coil p/u modded template, I scored the underside so the centerline would always be visible, and closest to the top of the instrument, that way I could set it right on the bookmatch of the top.

Thanks for sharing that.

MerlinTKD

EIght.Fold.Path / Hinge Theory
Contributor
Reaction score
Absolutely beautiful :bowdown:

Never understood putting a maple top on mahogany... the natural wood is just so rich and gorgeous... superb job :yesway:

')