The Mars Volta discuss new album

Ntbillie

Reaction score
I haven't seen many posts about this here soo I thought I'll just post about this. The Mars Volta are set to release a new album this year, it's their follow up to Octahedron. I'm actually pretty stroked about this..right after Meshuggah announcing a new album.

Omar Rodriguez's recent interview with NME:

"On this record, as with all the others, I wrote the music and then gave it to Cedric [Bixler-Zavala, bandmate]," he said. "But this is the last time I'll do it like that. I want to collaborate more. I've had 10 years of kind of being a benign dictator in this band and I want to make it more like a democracy."

He said the album has 13 songs and "is a simplified version of what we've done before". The record is currently untitled and doesn't have a release date yet.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

S-O

t(-.-t)
Reaction score
Woo! I dig these guys a lot, Frances the Mute is my favorite, and every album will be compared to that, which may be unfair, but oh well!

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
He said the album has 13 songs and "is a simplified version of what we've done before". The record is currently untitled and doesn't have a release date yet.

Considering that Octahedron is supposedly an "acoustic" album by Omar's standards (acoustic = more normal that the pure insane chaos of Bedlam In Goliath), I'm taking this with a grain of salt.

That said, I'm very very excited to this release. I've got all of the Mars Volta albums and have been extremely impressed with them all. :hbang:

DLG

not guthrie govan
Reaction score
I enjoyed the simplified more song-oriented approach of Octahedron and Omar taking most of his noisy experimentation to his solo albums so I'm pretty psyched that it sounds like they are continuing in this direction.

this song is everything I love about the mars volta.

Nimgoble

Wound tight
Reaction score
...But when do I get my ATDI reunion?! :scream:

Seriously, though: looking forward to this album.

Ntbillie

Reaction score
...But when do I get my ATDI reunion?! :scream:

Seriously, though: looking forward to this album.

Haha,Just FYI. Omar did make a mention of a possible ATDI reunion. And here's what He had to say. (I guess I should have mentioned that earlier,Sorry)

NME:Asked about continuing rumours that he would reunite with his former bandmates in At The Drive-In, Rodríguez-López said that there were no plans afoot. He did add "never say never" about a possible reunion, though.

right_to_rage

Avant Temporal
Reaction score
I love the Mars Volta, unlike many fans my favourite album was probably Amputecture mainly because of the crazy production. I hope they do more of that on the next album.

Ntbillie

Reaction score
i love their most recent drummer...thats about it. ATDI>Sparta>Mars Volta imho.

Brother if You are talking about Thomas Pridgen(?) He left the Band. Cedric had an ego trip. Soo He kicked Him out. Their new drummer is Deantoni Parks,who is also the touring member of Omar Rodriguez group.

He was pretty amazing Imo.

right_to_rage

Avant Temporal
Reaction score
I also enjoy how prolific they are. I think its cool that Omar releases so many albums during the course of just one year, but keeps his focus centred around Mars Volta in way that maintains its unique identity.

Latest posts

')