The Mass Effect 3 Thread

• Thread starter ShadowFactoryX
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
Well, I'll say this: The multiplayer is surprisingly tits. I honestly think it's going to end up being worth the price of the game for me, alone. It's basically the Horde mode from Gears of War, but better because it's Mass Effect. :lol:

pink freud

Reaction score
They should incorporate interrupts in the multiplayer. At random times you can Renegade interrupt and punch an opposing player in the balls.

Varcolac

Frets? What frets?
Reaction score
There are no opposing players: it's all co-op.

The PS3 demo was delayed in Europe. Fingers crossed, it should be on PSN this evening. I'm really itching to play it now... I've watched a couple of playthroughs on Youtube but I'm more interested in feeling how the game runs than in seeing the plot. I really want to try out all the new powers for the classes.

Unfortunately my laptop seems to refuse to run Origin, despite being up to spec for the game. I've not got any problems with the idea of Origin; I'm no Steam loyalist. Shit just doesn't run on my system.

One advantage of this delay is that I got to spend the evening with my significant other instead of shooting Cerberus mercs with Garrus...

ShadowFactoryX

OMNIHILITY
Reaction score
I'm really, really hoping the whole game doesn't go like the demo did, otherwise, I think they may somehow have managed to suck out all the things that made me love the first two. It didn't feel open at all. It was a completely linear, practically "on rails" shooter, and I actually chose the "RPG" path, so that's pretty disconcerting.

Ugh I felt the same way, but two mechanical issues I had:
1. Sluggish Movement while in combat.
-Now granted I'm used to 2 as Ive been playing it substantially over the past few weeks again, but this just seems to be in slow mode. Turning and aiming aren't a problem, but forward movement is.
2. "Hold A for Cover"

POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT

- At the end of the second mission, and a few times during the first, where you have to go over to Mordin, and hit A on the last console to release the krogan, I ended up hiding for cover every time I tried it, and had to fight another wave of Cerberus troops. It was definitely pissing me off.

Saving multiplayer for tonight.

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
I remember when we talked you into the first one, and you seemed kinda indifferent to it at first. Did you ever get deeper into it?

I really enjoyed the first one but lost interest. Immediately bought the second one, lost interest immediately! I think the control system confused me. On the demo for 3 I still found the control system confusing! The action and graphics are much better though, not to say that the demo was perfect.

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
:lol:

I just got an email from Bioware today, soliciting me to "recruit my friends" via Facebook in return for "early access" to the multiplayer demo.

Somebody should tell them I got my access along with the rest of North America yesterday. ;)

Speaking of which, I'm a bit upset about how the early access went down. I bought BF3 a few months back, and I bought the Limited Edition *only* because it was supposed to come with early access to the ME3 demo. That early access never materialized. *grumble*

AxeHappy

Reaction score
If you're playing multi-player you got your early access.

The rest of us have to wait until the 17th (I think) to do multi-player.

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
If you're playing multi-player you got your early access.

The rest of us have to wait until the 17th (I think) to do multi-player.

Oh? Weird. I didn't realize that was the case. I just saw the add for the demo pop up on my dashboard yesterday, and it only provided one download link, which seems to have included the multiplayer. I presumed everybody on XBLA had access to the same download I did, since the ad on the dashboard didn't draw any attention to it being early access or that the multiplayer was at all exclusive. :shrug:

texshred777

Reaction score
Played the Demo last night as soon as I got home. I thought it was a blast, although it seemed a little off to me. It may just be that I've been playing a shit ton of ME2 of late. I really liked the power melee option, especially when cloaked and against the mech.

I was dissappointed that the Infiltrator is not outfitted with a sniper rifle anymore. The heavy rifle was nice, but I would have preferred a sniper rifle. Perhaps a scope/sight mod will give me a good middle ground.

I'll give it another go tonight with a different class, probably as an Adept or Vanguard.

I'll still be buying this day one, I saw nothing that changed my mind about that. After playing it I'm sure the character interaction and RP moments just weren't present in those particular sections-besides of course Shep's speech.

Varcolac

Frets? What frets?
Reaction score
Played the Demo last night as soon as I got home. I thought it was a blast, although it seemed a little off to me. It may just be that I've been playing a shit ton of ME2 of late. I really liked the power melee option, especially when cloaked and against the mech.

I was dissappointed that the Infiltrator is not outfitted with a sniper rifle anymore. The heavy rifle was nice, but I would have preferred a sniper rifle. Perhaps a scope/sight mod will give me a good middle ground.

I'll give it another go tonight with a different class, probably as an Adept or Vanguard.

I'll still be buying this day one, I saw nothing that changed my mind about that. After playing it I'm sure the character interaction and RP moments just weren't present in those particular sections-besides of course Shep's speech.

played through this twice yesterday; got the same weapon selections as a Vanguard and an Adept. I think they just removed the weapon-select screen to streamline the demo. Should be able to snipe people just fine in the full game.

After doing some reading, it seems that the weapon selection/carry weight ratio increases your recharge timers. Lugging around a shotgun and an assault rifle had my Adept suffering stupid 15-second recharges on Singularity. That should promote a more tactical use of weapons in the full game. I'll probably go Adept with a single machine pistol, and see how fast I can spam Singularity.

Going to play the other classes over the rest of the week, and get a feel for the new powers. Vanguard with the power melee attack was glorious; it really felt like a proper "brawler," charging in and smacking seven shades of shit out of Cerberus troopers. One time I had a group of Cerberus with a shielded squad leader. I had Garrus drop the leader's shields with Overload, biotic charged the leader, shotgunned him in the face, swung around, biotic power-punched two other troopers to death, then unloaded my remaining shotgun shells into the survivors.

I felt very metal.

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
After night 2 with several sessions in the multiplayer, I'm officially stoked.

There were a couple of glitchy moments (and this actually used to happen to me in ME2 as well) where all of a sudden I get stuck either A) not being able to move but still being able to shoot, or B) not being able to shoot but still being able to move. When it happened in ME2, there was nothing I could ever do but reset the game completely. In the demo, however, it seems to correct itself if I just mash all the buttons enough. :lol:

Apart from that, it's been really sweet. Having spent a couple of nights with it, I can't believe I was ever resistant to the idea. The mechanics of ME's gameplay really lend themselves well to a multiplayer setting, with the different classes/powers/weapons adding a welcome element of strategy to the mix.

Does anybody know if the experience we gain in the multiplayer demo will transfer over to the full game when it comes out? I should probably back off, if it doesn't.. :lol:

Vanguard's always been my favorite class, so that's what I've been rocking. I've got my N7 level up to 17 so far, and my Vanguard character is up to level 15 or 16, I think. :yesway:

AxeHappy

Reaction score
So, I've just finished the demo. My Thoughts:

Overall: Awesome. So glad I pre-ordered the Collector's Edition
Pros: Better looking, Open Spaces, Vertical Movement
Cons: Only stealing the rolling animations from Deus Ex: Human Revolution instead of the whole cover system.

Obviously no chance to do any load-out or weapon Customisation or pretty much any of the Role-Playing stuff but the combat certainly looks nice.

Oh! also:
I have found the difficult on, "Insanity," has been ramped up quite a bit form ME2.

ShadowFactoryX

OMNIHILITY
Reaction score
i did forget to mention the awesome environmental scheme laid out, just gorgeous.

but did anyone feel the movement was a little sluggish compared to 2?

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
i did forget to mention the awesome environmental scheme laid out, just gorgeous.

Definitely, but I'm hoping this is due to it being a demo, therefore an unfinished product.

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
the temptation to fire up the demo is strong but my nigh-total embargo of all ME3 media cannot be violated haha. not much longer now! my ME2 save is safe and secure in three different places on the internet and two external hard drives .. still going to play through it again anyway. gotta play that DLC again

AxeHappy

Reaction score

Yeah, you pretty much have to run everywhere, but during combat I've found that rolling is the only way to get from place to place alive.

ZEBOV

Banned
Reaction score
Unfortunately my laptop seems to refuse to run Origin, despite being up to spec for the game. I've not got any problems with the idea of Origin; I'm no Steam loyalist. Shit just doesn't run on my system.

The problem is probably Origin. I'm not a Steam fanboy neither, but Origin fucking sucks!

AxeHappy

Reaction score
Well, the ME3 demo is the only thing I run on Origin, but the only Game I run on Steam is Duke Nukem Forever.

Origin has fucked up less.

')