The Math Thread!!!

• Thread starter Cadavuh
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Cadavuh

Bounce The ....
Reaction score
Since Jeff hasn't been around in a while there are no SS.org residential mathematicians. Its time to bring back the spirit ^_^. Since I've started my new physics major I've been learning more and more math everyday and I've taken a real liking to it. This summer im really diving into everything that one learns after single variable calc through self study. Multi variable calc, diff eq, linear algebra, etc... The proofy, pure math really interests me as well, although from what I have experienced so far it is not used much until you get around to some more advanced theoretical physics. Any other math fans/majors/minors/imaticians etc..?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
Aspiring engineer and a huge math fan. Posting in a thread that is inevitably doomed to fail, though. :lol:

Cadavuh

Bounce The ....
Reaction score
If SS.org users want to consult this thread for math help then it might not fail ;). Anyone in a math class always has questions. What level are you at right now?

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
I just registered for an Algebra II class over the summer, then in Fall I move on to Applied Mathematical something-something, then go onto Trig & Algebra, and finally Calculus! :woohoo: Not really, I'm just doing it so I can get a Bachelors in Computer Sciences.

Cadavuh

Bounce The ....
Reaction score
For a BS in CS I would think you would have to take some discrete mathematics and some formal logic no?

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
For a BS in CS I would think you would have to take some discrete mathematics and some formal logic no?

Well this is to just get me IN to CS, which requires Calculus alongside doing Programming, so right now I'm doing all these so I can work up to Calculus and then probably move on to those.

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
I do graduate engineering work and have a bachelors in engineering, I make math cry at how badly I abuse/misuse it :D

Cadavuh

Bounce The ....
Reaction score
Well this is to just get me IN to CS, which requires Calculus alongside doing Programming, so right now I'm doing all these so I can work up to Calculus and then probably move on to those.

Oh, so your still in high school? My intuition tells me to tell you to stay away from those high school AP Calc courses :lol:. A lot of kids who have AP calc credit and enter the higher math classes right when they start uni fail out because the high school preparation is a joke.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Oh, so your still in high school? My intuition tells me to tell you to stay away from those high school AP Calc courses :lol:. A lot of kids who have AP calc credit and enter the higher math classes right when they start uni fail out because the high school preparation is a joke.

No, sadly college :( I just graduated from community college with an Associates in Arts, but now I actually KNOW what I want to do instead of just coasting through bullshit community college classes - unfortunately, I have to do some back-tracking and pay for my mistake by NOT taking harder math courses

Cadavuh

Bounce The ....
Reaction score
Oh gotcha. When you enter calc make sure your foundation of algebra and trig skills is really strong. Especially the algebra.

niffnoff

Just another SunBro
Reaction score
Since Im doing college in the states one of the core subjects... is calculus... I have a feeling I'm FUCKED

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
Calculus isn't bad. I have Calc III (multi-variable) next semester, then Diff Eq.

Hemi-Powered Drone

Dragonblade629
Reaction score
215309_1668197267154_1303988250_1383807_8050434_n.jpg

Only a math nerd will truly get this.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Oh gotcha. When you enter calc make sure your foundation of algebra and trig skills is really strong. Especially the algebra.

The current plan I have set-up is this (slightly long-winded)

Finish summer math course with awesome grade
Return to my community college and re-do courses I fucked up because I didn't care (MUST maintain at least 3.0GPA for free tuition transfer)
Meet with UMass about transfers
Transfer from here to there into Liberal Arts and do more math classes and general studies I need
Transfer majors to Computer Science when I have all the math requisites done and then continue to kick college's ass

So, I have to do well in these courses or else my free tuition goes down the drain, and that's like $2K I save

niffnoff

Just another SunBro
Reaction score
Calculus isn't bad. I have Calc III (multi-variable) next semester, then Diff Eq.

Tis when you have never done it before, I'm kinda researching it now, nothing's impossible but yeah you won't know till you try something haha.

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
Let's see where we rank;

What's the highest level math course my fellow nerds have taken?

Mine is Differential Equations (the one that you take after you finish Cal III).

After doing all that, I switched majors from engineering to supply chain management (fail, I know). They let me use all my math classes to replace some of the "technical" electives, but I was still required to take "Business Math." :lol: That was the saddest class ever. Pretty sure it actually did harm to my mathematical skills, reverting to 7th grade level shit. :lol: But hey, 4.00 GPA point is 4.00 GPA points. :shrug:

Hemi-Powered Drone

Dragonblade629
Reaction score
Because of a bad teacher(and I know it was the teacher because only three students had passed in his four classes, and all of them were mega-over achievers) I had sophomore year, I had to do Algebra II over again. I did it online, but I wasn't able to finish it before junior year so I wasn't able to take a math class that year. Now I'm stuck taking integrated, though I'm trying to get transferred into Statistics.

')