The Math Thread!!!

• Thread starter Cadavuh
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not so much worried about the algebra, just the Trig portion since it's a combined course, I don't want to end up blowing through something and just going "What the fuck did we cover?"

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
I'd just like to add : completing a square to solve quadratic equations, is one of the stupidest things ever. Seriously, just factor it motherfuckers.

Murdstone

Sycamore Trees
Reaction score
I'd just like to add : completing a square to solve quadratic equations, is one of the stupidest things ever. Seriously, just factor it motherfuckers.

You'll have to get used to completing the square if you're going farther into calculus. I used it a lot in calc II, it's extremely helpful/necessary.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
I think I actually found out why I find it to be stupid. It's the fact that you're taking the square roots of the variable (x squared term) and the constant term, but disregard the 'b' value, so it's like "HOW CAN YOU JUST DROP THAT, SHOULDN'T YOU BE DOING SOMETHING WITH IT WHAT THE FUCK" :lol:

Grand Moff Tim

Some call me... Tim
Reaction score
Random bump, I know, but this was too good to pass up:

epic-win-photos-tipping-win.jpg

Cadavuh

Bounce The ....
Reaction score
Awesome! Good bump. I want to hear more about the experiences members have had with math.

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I tried to stay out of this thread, but I've failed twice now.

For me: B.S. and M.S. in Biomedical Engineering (non-linear control systems (pure EE geekyness) applied to biological systems), was going the PhD route but got-out because I was really not looking forward to doing an additional 4+ years as a Post Doc before being able to even start considering tenure track positions.

The only math that kicked my a$$ was stochastic processes (probability + multivariate calculus). The scary thing is that I got so comfortable working in the LaPlace domain, that I'd transform everything because it was easier than working in the "real" domain. :lol:

Ray

Murdstone

Sycamore Trees
Reaction score
So far I'm loving the multivariable applications presented in this quantum chemistry book that I picked up recently. There's something about multivariable equations that are so erotic/terrifying :lol:

This one's a classic too:
verizon.jpg

Even though I think this guy just pulled the equation out of his ass, it works out to $0.002.

SymmetricScars

Reaction score
I tried to stay out of this thread, but I've failed twice now.

For me: B.S. and M.S. in Biomedical Engineering (non-linear control systems (pure EE geekyness) applied to biological systems), was going the PhD route but got-out because I was really not looking forward to doing an additional 4+ years as a Post Doc before being able to even start considering tenure track positions.

The only math that kicked my a$$ was stochastic processes (probability + multivariate calculus). The scary thing is that I got so comfortable working in the LaPlace domain, that I'd transform everything because it was easier than working in the "real" domain. :lol:

Ray

I can relate. I'm currently a graduate student in Aerospace Engineering, working on control systems applied to spacecraft.

All_¥our_Bass

Deathly Chuuni
Reaction score
215309_1668197267154_1303988250_1383807_8050434_n.jpg

Only a math nerd will truly get this.
I see your dances and raise you some sex positions!
numerical_sex_positions.png

hoverover: "We didn't even get to the continued fractions!"

And for t3h lulz...

Also, did/does anyone else here spend time programming with graphing calculators?
Cuz I does. :hbang:

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
Oh shit.

I can't beleve I made such a simple mistake. I'm being totally serious, I'm kind of ashamed.

I know this is an ancient post but I'm reading over the thread is it's been bumped anyway.

Is that a joke? Tell me its a joke.

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I can relate. I'm currently a graduate student in Aerospace Engineering, working on control systems applied to spacecraft.
I was using the same "maths" applied to the Auditory System. There's some pretty cool compressive non-linear feedback tied to a transmission line of bandpass filters. What I was looking into was that there appears to be feedback from higher brain centers and the opposite ear that adjust the tuning.

Ray

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Linear algebra is ridiculously easy with respect to the other maths you mentioned in the OP :lol:

Like child's play. Diff eq made many many many people change their majors when I was in school.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Officially dropping being a CS major since I should've realized I wasn't cut out for all the math it requires

Mendez

Reaction score
Officially dropping being a CS major since I should've realized I wasn't cut out for all the math it requires

Honestly thats what is giving me second thoughts....but i set a goal to become a CS major...must finish!

Oddly though since i just started cal 1, i actually kinda like derivatives :squint:

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Ahh come on guys... It's not that bad. If I can make it through CS anyone can do it. At my school Computer Engineering was the one that made ppl question their beliefs. :lol:

And even that one wasn't *that* much harder than CS.

You can do it Ben... :agreed:

Mendez

Reaction score
Its the amount of math thats a pain, but its just a matter of actually doing the hw for me. Mainly just a matter of practice...

Although i havent actually started on the major it self (stupid basics! :lol:)

')