The Math Thread!!!

• Thread starter Cadavuh
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GalacticDeath

Reaction score
I'm taking Trig right now, although I would've taken Calc if I had that option. I hate math that revolves around shapes, especially triangles. Maybe I should have taken College Algebra like all the other music students haha.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

pink freud

Reaction score
I'm taking Trig right now, although I would've taken Calc if I had that option. I hate math that revolves around shapes, especially triangles. Maybe I should have taken College Algebra like all the other music students haha.

Need Trig to take Calc, usually. My problem with trig is I essentially had to teach myself as it was an online class. NEVER AGAIN.

Mendez

Reaction score
Ah man that sucks, I dont quite remember, but trig concentrates around the unit circle and sin, cos, and tan as well, right? Its a pain at first to learn those, but boy do they stick around for higher level math :noplease:

Dude, i got a 69 (hehe) on my first cal test cause i forgot to take the derivative of the base :wallbash:
Yeah the quotient rule took a while before i had it memorized :agreed:

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Don't feel bad that I quit or anything, it's actually a HUGE relief since I was digging myself a hole I might not have been able to get out of (read : wouldn't have been able to)

The problem was that I got talking to my buddy about game design and such, and remembered when I did a summer camp about it and had a blast, but it wasn't doing the "making it work" aspect of it that I enjoyed. Unfortunately, I forgot that and this was pretty much a pipe dream, so I'm going back to my roots and going the actual game design route and will hopefully go to an Art school next semester.

Algebra II was fun, but Coll. Alg & Trig are fucking tedious :lol:

Cadavuh

Bounce The ....
Reaction score
The fact that Calc is more interesting than trig really goes without saying. Just wait until you get to some elementary differential equations. Now those are fun ^_^.

squid-boy

Reaction score
I like to think of math as a language. Each problem, a story with little holes poked in it that need to be filled with the most logical fills to the plot. An ambiguous language at that, but still. And I don't mean in this PBS special, "Mathematics is the language of the universe," I mean it in the sense that it resides completely on logical foundations, such as the use of language in our everyday life. We can't simply say shit willy-nilly and not expect to be wrong about things. Its fun, but people fucking hate you for it.

Mendez

Reaction score
Don't feel bad that I quit or anything, it's actually a HUGE relief since I was digging myself a hole I might not have been able to get out of (read : wouldn't have been able to)

The problem was that I got talking to my buddy about game design and such, and remembered when I did a summer camp about it and had a blast, but it wasn't doing the "making it work" aspect of it that I enjoyed. Unfortunately, I forgot that and this was pretty much a pipe dream, so I'm going back to my roots and going the actual game design route and will hopefully go to an Art school next semester.

Algebra II was fun, but Coll. Alg & Trig are fucking tedious :lol:

Yeah its tedious, I was actually gonna go the game design route my self. But I never actually tried it, so i just decided to go for something along the lines of programming since I like the concept.

Good luck with the game design route! :hbang:

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah its tedious, I was actually gonna go the game design route my self. But I never actually tried it, so i just decided to go for something along the lines of programming since I like the concept.

Good luck with the game design route! :hbang:

Thanks bro, maybe if we're both successful in our endeavors we may end up working together :yesway:

IamSatai

Reaction score
First of all:
20111023.gif

Hey, what's up guys? I have just started 1st yr Mathematics (switched from Theorectical Physics to Math last Wednesday) in Trinity College Dublin in Ireland. Not much math on this forum so I figured I could try bring this thread back with a little math puzzle. Keep in mind I'm only in 1st year and just came up with the problem there, so my apologies if it is "trivial" for you math pros ;) . I do find this kind of thing fun, so hopefully some of you guys will too.

n^m = x where n and m are positive integers.

What is the probability that the sum of the digits of x (and the sum of those digits until one digit remains) is equal to one.

E.g. 17^2 = 289 -> 2+9+8 = 19 -> 1+9 = 10 -> 1

I have an answer, and as far as I can tell it is right. PM for it if you really want to know, but give it a go and post it here. I want to see how else someone else would get the answer, especially if it is different to my way.

GalacticDeath

Reaction score
Trigonometry is kicking my ass right now. I honestly don't even know what's going on in that class anymore. I actually skipped my last test. I have a C right now so I think I'll pass but just barely.

pink freud

Reaction score
So something my math teacher couldn't tell me, what is the derivative of the origin of the Folium of Descartes? Is it undefined, zero, or both?

hereticemir

with a Tuna sandwich
Reaction score
hello guys,

So in January I will be starting school for mechanical engineering and since we have members who completed or currently studying for their engineering degree/ degrees could you give me some tips to help me out so I don't fail out. Also I should mention I am rusty at math since I didn't have to deal with it in my last occupation. Any math related tips will be really helpful

Thanks

Aevolve

Yugen.
Reaction score
I seriously wish I liked math more. I understand how useful it is- really one of the only always-applicable things you can take away from school. But being a high school student in the state of Georgia has really tainted my opinion of it since I've been taught so shittily- any time I step into a math class I rage. At least I took AP calculus my junior year and sort-of liked that. My holes are in my algebra.

Anyone have any tips on trying to like math?
From what some friends have told me- it gets a lot better in college when you have professors who actually know what the fuck they're talking about. :bowdown:

Murdstone

Sycamore Trees
Reaction score
I seriously wish I liked math more. I understand how useful it is- really one of the only always-applicable things you can take away from school. But being a high school student in the state of Georgia has really tainted my opinion of it since I've been taught so shittily- any time I step into a math class I rage. At least I took AP calculus my junior year and sort-of liked that. My holes are in my algebra.

Anyone have any tips on trying to like math?
From what some friends have told me- it gets a lot better in college when you have professors who actually know what the fuck they're talking about. :bowdown:

I feel like I learned more in my second year of college than I did my entire high school career. The whole 'having a professor who knows what the fuck they're talking about and actually enjoys what they're doing' thing is absolutely vital. It makes it a lot more interesting to learn.

ThePhilosopher

Reason User
Reaction score
I teach Honors Algebra II, AP Statistics and Pre-calculus/Trigonometry (but I only took through Calc. II and Stats for Poli Sci; I do have Logic I and II under my belt though from my Phil degree).

')