The Math Thread!!!

• Thread starter Cadavuh
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Cadavuh

Bounce The ....
Reaction score
Man, I just received my summer calc midterm with a 264/300, or 88%. I'm pretty pissed at myself, considering that there were 4 or 5 kids(out of about 30 total) who got a score > 96%. Fucking sign change errors...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
^^

Dang that is a lot of points, I wish my calc tests had been that forgiving. More like /20, 5 questions. Then every mistake is worth so much more. Hell we had multiple choice A-K for my university calc.

Cadavuh

Bounce The ....
Reaction score
I guess it is pretty forgiving, considering that the class grade is out of a total of 800 points. 300 for the midterm, 300 for the final, 100 hw, and 100 in-class quizzes. Yea, multiple choice in mathematics is not fun.

Bucks

Reaction score
Ahh, the dreaded mathematics examinations.
I am a PhD student and TA in engineering classes. I do greatly sympathize with the freshman undergraduates struggling with calculus. I am glad those days are long gone.

Cadavuh

Bounce The ....
Reaction score
So are you a PhD student in mathematics or engineering? Your sentence was a bit ambiguous.

Djent

Obviously!
Reaction score
About to take AP Calc BC. Just took AP Stat, got a 5 on the exam (which amounts to around 4-8 free credits at most colleges).

P.S. I'm only a high school junior

troyguitar

Reaction score
About to take AP Calc BC. Just took AP Stat, got a 5 on the exam (which amounts to around 4-8 free credits at most colleges).

P.S. I'm only a high school junior

Eh I took BC Calc the first half of junior year and multi-variable calc at a local university during the second half, also took AP Physics C, AP Bio, AP Chem, AP English, AP US History during that year :fawk:

P.S. I have a large penis

Cadavuh

Bounce The ....
Reaction score
Eh I took BC Calc the first half of junior year and multi-variable calc at a local university during the second half, also took AP Physics C, AP Bio, AP Chem, AP English, AP US History during that year :fawk:

P.S. I have a large penis

What upper division math classes did you take as an undergrad? Which were your favorites and why?

squid-boy

Reaction score
I found Calculus to be enjoyable, really. I hated how it was taught, though. Plug'n'chug at my university. I'm more of a logic enthusiast, so the whole put a number in, pull a number (ambiguity anyone? lolololol!) out is a little iffy for me. It frustrates me in a way that makes me Cannonball shit on the salad-bar at Wendy's.

I have no idea what I was talking about by the end of this post.

Cadavuh

Bounce The ....
Reaction score
Well, I think, strictly speaking, that executing most calculus(IE differentiation & integration) intrinsically involves a lot of "plug n chug". This characteristic of the subject, I think, has the potential to suck any substance out of a beginner level course, which is what it most often does(or so it seems to me). Plus, the overwhelming majority of college students either wouldn't or couldn't handle a more rigorous math course regardless :D. Keep in mind the rules and equations you were using in your class do in fact have some pretty rigorous proofs behind them. There is actually a great calculus textbook that approaches the subject from a more rigorous standpoint, really laying out the solid foundations of the subject. I have the full version in pdf if anyone is interested.

squid-boy

Reaction score
Oh, I totally agree with you on that one. I was just a little disappointed.

Which text are you talking about? One, fun, enjoyable read that covers elementary/beginning Calculus is "How To Ace Calculus," there's two books in the series covering even multivariable and differentials.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Currently pulling off an 85 in my math course with ease, hopefully it stays this way next semester

Reaction score
Currently studying maths, doin' calculus atm. Ready for starting my degree in Physics this coming September.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
I'm now officially a Computer Sciences major and should I pass all my classes next semester with high enough marks, I can have my 2.5 to transfer to UML and start programming in the spring :yesway: College Algebra & Trig won't be too hard hopefully.

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
^^^

Algebra isn't difficult, lots of matrix operations and if you are (un)lucky abstract vector spaces and such (I still don't know what those were for :lol:). Was still easily my best math course. Then again, not sure how your math is there in the states, I know what is typically pre-calc in high school is calc 1 there.

')