The mead thread/blog!

• Thread starter Asrial
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

All_¥our_Bass

Deathly Chuuni
Reaction score
For something cheap but still good, for those just getting into mead, try Oliver's "Camelot Mead". @ 11%abv it's not super dry but has just enough sweetness to be good.

Asrial

Whisper into nose
Reaction score
I never had mead and I always wanted too.. it's so metal!
I'd then recommend you to buy some brewing equipment and start brewing some!
I don't know the exact liter-price in foreign currency, but I get my mead for 20 Dkk a liter. That's around 3-4$ a liter. For ALL the equipment and materials to produce 100 liters, no bottles, same bill. Gets cheaper the next time I produce. ^^
So translated to dollar, it's going to cost 3-400$ or so, and that's with the insanely high danish taxes! In the states, it is so much cheaper, so you might get some imported from there.

Mr. Big Noodles

Theory God
Reaction score
I made mead once. I was in high school, myself and a vegan in my cooking class got a couple of water bottles, honey, and yeast, mixed it up with some warm water, and put them in a cupboard for the duration of the class, releasing the CO2 every ten minutes or so. The fermentation wouldn't stop, and I was doing this well after school. I drove my friend to the office, went in with him, and we feared what my car looked like, as we had been about thirty minutes. When we got back, the bottles looked fine, but as soon as I touched one of them, the cap exploded off. :lol:

I took the opportunity to lick the fermented mixture off my hand and IT WAS FUCKING DELICIOUS! :scream:
When I got home, I had to freeze the stuff to keep it from fermenting. Aging is for pussies, I like to live on the edge.... with my honey wine. :lol:

Asrial

Whisper into nose
Reaction score
I made mead once. I was in high school, myself and a vegan in my cooking class got a couple of water bottles, honey, and yeast, mixed it up with some warm water, and put them in a cupboard for the duration of the class, releasing the CO2 every ten minutes or so. The fermentation wouldn't stop, and I was doing this well after school. I drove my friend to the office, went in with him, and we feared what my car looked like, as we had been about thirty minutes. When we got back, the bottles looked fine, but as soon as I touched one of them, the cap exploded off. :lol:

I took the opportunity to lick the fermented mixture off my hand and IT WAS FUCKING DELICIOUS! :scream:
When I got home, I had to freeze the stuff to keep it from fermenting. Aging is for pussies, I like to live on the edge.... with my honey wine. :lol:
... You know you could've possibly killed your "balance ability" for up to a whole year? o_O' That's what I've been told and read somewhere, if the yeast is active.

Mr. Big Noodles

Theory God
Reaction score
... You know you could've possibly killed your "balance ability" for up to a whole year? o_O' That's what I've been told and read somewhere, if the yeast is active.

I reiterate:

I like to live on the edge.... with my honey wine. :lol:

Yeah, I'm sure it wasn't the smartest thing I've done. It probably has something to do with the species of yeast, as well, I suspect.

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
JJ, what did you try? Sounds like Chaucer's or Lurgashall or something from your description.

I got Munro Honey. It was within Canada and didn't want to deal with the headache of ordering alcohol across the border.

They do have a dry one so maybe I'll try that someday.

Asrial

Whisper into nose
Reaction score
Sorry for double post, but does anyone know exactly where I can bulk order pomegranates? I need alot for my pomegranate and raspberry-mead, and I can easily get frozen raspberries. Pomegranates are considered an import, because they cannot grow up here in the cold north... And I would like to get 20kg worth of pomegranate. Some for personal consumption, rest for the mead. :q

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry for double post, but does anyone know exactly where I can bulk order pomegranates? I need alot for my pomegranate and raspberry-mead, and I can easily get frozen raspberries. Pomegranates are considered an import, because they cannot grow up here in the cold north... And I would like to get 20kg worth of pomegranate. Some for personal consumption, rest for the mead. :q

Know anyone who works in the food industry? My parents own a restaurant and we bulk order shit all the time for home :lol:

Asrial

Whisper into nose
Reaction score
^I actually DO know someone who owns a restaurant, but I don't know if she can get me 20 kg pomegranate. :q

@ CYBERSYN: Go to stormthecastle.com/mead/index

Asrial

Whisper into nose
Reaction score
UPDATE!

The mead finished its final stage yesterday! I rebottled it into an old vodla-bottle and added additional vodka, just because I had 100ml left on a random bottle with safety-lock.

And know what? IT'S A SPARKLING MEAD!
I'll post pics later today!

tacotiklah

I am Denko (´・ω・`)
Reaction score
I've actually been really looking into trying/possibly making mead. Since there's a BevMo near me, I think I'll pickup a bottle and try it first before deciding. Anyone tried this brand?:
http://www.bevmo.com/Shop/ProductDetail.aspx?N=4294964586&area=home&ProductID=5915

It looks pretty tasty, but I'm worried it will be too sweet. I was actually looking to make a little pre-show ritual with my band where we all share mead from a horn before we hit the stage.

Asrial

Whisper into nose
Reaction score
2mcsqas.jpg

My mead! Yes, that is a smirnoff vodka-bottle. VERY ANCIENT

Asrial

Whisper into nose
Reaction score
INCOMING! The meadiest bump in the world!

Well, I want to give a fair update;

• The restaurateur I knew is moving to spain... And doesn't own the restaurant anymore. FYI, no pomegranate-mead. :noplease: I'll just churn in some other fruits/berries in instead. Blueberry, maybe?
  • All my brewing equipment has arrived! 25 ltr carboy, 30 ltr fermenting bucket (DUAL-PATCH!), a weight, transfering equipment and my yeast.
  • Brewing will start in febuary, and there will be pictures.
  • I'm still in need of cheap glass bottles that ships within the boundaries of EU. Buying from the US is too risky and/or too expensive.
Final note; this mead will be designed to work equally well as a beer additive, and as a dessert wine.
Blueberry is a mildly flavoured berry IMO, so I think again that it either has to be pure blueberry juice, or a stronger, more acidic fruit, but on that note, the mild flavour would work really well with the dessert wine aspect. Beer-wise, it would fit with a pilsner, I suppose, but maybe putting some in a guiness wouldn't hurt either, I guess.

heavy7-665

Reaction score
INCOMING! The meadiest bump in the world!

Well, I want to give a fair update;

• The restaurateur I knew is moving to spain... And doesn't own the restaurant anymore. FYI, no pomegranate-mead. :noplease: I'll just churn in some other fruits/berries in instead. Blueberry, maybe?
  • All my brewing equipment has arrived! 25 ltr carboy, 30 ltr fermenting bucket (DUAL-PATCH!), a weight, transfering equipment and my yeast.
  • Brewing will start in febuary, and there will be pictures.
  • I'm still in need of cheap glass bottles that ships within the boundaries of EU. Buying from the US is too risky and/or too expensive.
Final note; this mead will be designed to work equally well as a beer additive, and as a dessert wine.
Blueberry is a mildly flavoured berry IMO, so I think again that it either has to be pure blueberry juice, or a stronger, more acidic fruit, but on that note, the mild flavour would work really well with the dessert wine aspect. Beer-wise, it would fit with a pilsner, I suppose, but maybe putting some in a guiness wouldn't hurt either, I guess.

Wish you lived in the US. My 21st is in July and I want mead on that day!

Asrial

Whisper into nose
Reaction score
Bump for progress!
Because...
BEHOLD THE 31 TINS OF HONEY!
2yv13r9.jpg

And just to give you an idea of how much honey I got, I'll give you a snapshot of the weight of one tin:
2ldbsx4.jpg

And the tools for usage:
Fermentation bucket, wine yeast, wine clarifier (for the finished product), a volume weight, waterlock and transportation tube. Dunno what it's called. Plus my awesome 1527 :shred:
2nmu1i.jpg

I have decided to flavor my mead with raspberries and blueberries! Freshly thawed, of course. Gonna be a wizard if you can get fresh berries at this time of the year. o_O

But stay tight! Going to brew it this friday! :scream:

')