The mead thread/blog!

• Thread starter Asrial
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

leandroab

Stay Negative™
Reaction score
I would probably start with plain mead first, as I don't even know if I like it or not. I never had mead!

But, aside from getting all the overly-complicated apparatuses, uh, apparati,aparatusseus... :lol:what's up with making it bitter? How much? Do you have any tips?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
:fawk:

This is how I brew mead. Thrice now. It gets you fucked up!

Asrial

Whisper into nose
Reaction score
But, aside from getting all the overly-complicated apparatuses, uh, apparati,aparatusseus... :lol:what's up with making it bitter? How much? Do you have any tips?

I actually wrote a reason in the recipe, but here we go again:
The amount of sugar in mead is retardedly high, naturally, from the honey. I've never tried brewing with bittering(?) agents in my meads so far, but I would guess a handful of herbs in total, which should be allowed to breathe in the mead. If you don't want to invest in a second container for this experiment, I suggest you get a new pair of thin nylon stockings. They're cheap, finely netted and works like teabags!

And remember, you want a counter-balance, not an overpowering bitterness!

Asrial

Whisper into nose
Reaction score
I know what I'm doing this weekend now.
:yesway:
Just be careful with the amount of yeast you are using if you are using moist bakers yeast, too much will make it taste too yeasty. Too little will give a tedious fermentation period.

And four liters? Add a bag of frozen berries! Either that, or 2 oranges and 2 cinnamon sticks.

Dead Undead

New again
Reaction score
:yesway:
Just be careful with the amount of yeast you are using if you are using moist bakers yeast, too much will make it taste too yeasty. Too little will give a tedious fermentation period.

And four liters? Add a bag of frozen berries! Either that, or 2 oranges and 2 cinnamon sticks.

How much yeast would be appropriate for that much? Is it more guesswork or a measured amount?

And I like the cinnamon idea.

Northern

Reaction score
Wow! No idea how I missed this thread. I have been brewing for some years now. The blackurant and the lemon/apple mead have been the most succesfull so far. Also I always use berries and fruit peelings as the yeast so I don't get any excess yeast-flavor. The batch made by the OP looks extremely pleasing though, I must say.

Asrial

Whisper into nose
Reaction score
How much yeast would be appropriate for that much? Is it more guesswork or a measured amount?

And I like the cinnamon idea.

For those small breadyeast packages, I'd say 1/8th and let it sit for 3 hours in a sugared water solution before adding it into the brew.

Wow! No idea how I missed this thread. I have been brewing for some years now. The blackurant and the lemon/apple mead have been the most succesfull so far. Also I always use berries and fruit peelings as the yeast so I don't get any excess yeast-flavor. The batch made by the OP looks extremely pleasing though, I must say.

Well thank you. :)

Asrial

Whisper into nose
Reaction score
Guys, I have an announcement;
I've been studying on brewing in general, and also whiskys and their origin. I find the topics disturbingly interesting, and the chemical process behind the production of the liquids. So I have made a decision that hopefully will become a reality;
I am going to study chemistry on high level, and later on aim for a bachelor degree within chemistry. And lastly, the most revealing part; 2 years on a brewers academy.
I am becoming a master brewer!
It's a highly paid job, big demand of them in general, binds my love of cooking with a more chemically techy aspect, and the world just needs a brewery who also designs meads and beers containing mead!
This is some years in the future though (possibly a decade!), but the career-path just seems so obvious to me.

Oh, and if I have to relocate myself to start up a brewery, it will be in UK. :agreed:

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
Mead... that means bar wenches... mmmm.

ss-llb-192x300.jpg

')