The Modern Legato Licks thread.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
a neat sweep/legato trick I wrote in D major

E -----------10-14-21t-22t-21t--------------------------------------
B --------10--------------------14-22t-14-10------------------------
G ----11--------------------------------------14-11-14-23t----------
D -12----------------------------------------------------------------
A -------------------------------------------------------------------
D -------------------------------------------------------------------

get it up to 16ths in about 180 bpm and it sounds sweet :yesway:

ShadyDavey

7ibrarian
Reaction score
I'm bumping this thread with a cool Dave Martone hybrid picked legato lick

Code:
|---------------------------------------------------------------------(17)
|---------------------------------------------------(17)---------13-17----
|---------------------------------(17)---------14-17----17-14-17----------
|---------------(19)---------14-17----17-14-17-----------------------------
|----------15-19----19-15-19------------------------------------------------
|-17-15-17------------------------------------------------------------------
   ^       ^        ^        ^        ^        ^        ^        ^

^ = picked notes
() = picked w/ mid finger
Dave Martone = :bowdown:

Greg Howe (amongst a few others ^^) uses that same barre approach in a lot of his legato licks rather than playing them in a more linear fashion - try skipping over a string while barring, or barring with other fingers to really come up with some cool stuff :)

vontetzianos

Reaction score
Here's a legato, string skipping and tapping lick rolled into one.

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 65

ShadyDavey

7ibrarian
Reaction score
Nice :)

For more of that kind of deal, just go steal Derryl Gabel licks - there's loads on the 'net to keep people busy.

vontetzianos

Reaction score
Nice :)

For more of that kind of deal, just go steal Derryl Gabel licks - there's loads on the 'net to keep people busy.

That one actually is a derryl gabel lick:lol:. I tried to find a really difficult one and his seemed to be damn near impossible.

Reaction score
The lick I've made is mega difficult, you'll have to be up on your Holdsworth or Garsed to play it :D

ShadyDavey

7ibrarian
Reaction score
That one actually is a derryl gabel lick:lol:. I tried to find a really difficult one and his seemed to be damn near impossible.

He's got an awful lot of chops. If you see any of his vids on Youtube there's a host of ideas to steal but he really is the epitome of smooth legato - you just don't hear how many notes he's actually playing because its so flowing and there's some advanced theoretical approaches contained within each lick.

vontetzianos

Reaction score
He's got an awful lot of chops. If you see any of his vids on Youtube there's a host of ideas to steal but he really is the epitome of smooth legato - you just don't hear how many notes he's actually playing because its so flowing and there's some advanced theoretical approaches contained within each lick.

Everytime I see that guy play some of the most challenging legatos I've ever seen, he's smiling away likes its a walk in the park. I guess he's devoted quite a bit of time to it, and that's pretty much the only way to get it down well.

shaun_ng

Reaction score
Here's one that combines legato, tapping and tap-sliding (whatever you guys call it hehe)

t t t t
E --12p7p4p0h4h7--11s12s11p7p4p0h4h7--11s12s11p7p4p0h4h7--12s11--

Basically it's just a EMaj7 (E, G#, B, F) arpeggio played over one string. You tap at the 12th fret (as noted above and slide using your tapping finger). I might record a video of this some time in the future. :)

Best when used on the high E string (1st from bottom) and B string (2nd from bottom) and played over a E Major Add 9 or E Major 7. I think if you play it over Asus2 it will give you quite a lydian-ish sound.

Let me know how it worked for you! Cheers! :cool:

ShadyDavey

7ibrarian
Reaction score
There are a couple of Derek Taylor .pdf's floating around and I would hugely recommend Derry Gabel's work. I shall review those two next in the thread I started for the purpose - while similar, both artists are worth studying if you love legato :)

Zamm Bell

My name is Sam Bell
Reaction score
The first lick in this vid is a legato/tapping thingy in E

The first lick is based around E minor pentatonic in the style of the legendry Derek Taylor using legato and two finger tapping, however you can play it any way you want to. Break down the lick string by string, and make sure the notes flow together best as possible (although I do not seem to demonstrate that in the video)

Hope you enjoy!

hanachanmaru

Reaction score
would like to share the exercise i been learning perhaps is been too traditional but maybe if guys out here would wanna add more to it and altered it to make it more sick and tedious? ie taps, diminished and etc? thanks

Attachments

• Sweeping legato 313 exercise.ptb
    2.2 KB · Views: 34
')