The moment you begin to refer to yourself as a Guitarist?

• Thread starter Gabriel 1313
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Pingu

NOOT NOOT
Reaction score
I don't consider myself a guitarist.
Can I play just about anything that 99% of people would ask me to play?
Trick question. After mentioning you were a guitarist you didn't magically phase a acoustic into your hands and start playing their favorite song note for note. Edit: Also you need to be able to sing, it doesn't matter how good you are people just aren't going to get it.

skellingtonwitch

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I’ve been playing since I was 12 (you wouldn’t guess it from my playing :/ ), so it feels sort of hardwired into who I am, but I’ve only recently started thinking of myself as a musician. It’s nice

Soporific

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
As was implied by a veteran jazz/blues gigging teacher I had in 1991 or so:

There were people who "play guitar" and then there were "players".

Players were in it for the love of playing guitar and would do so no matter who was around them. People who "play guitar" did it as a chore or to try and impress others but seemed to be in it for the wrong reasons so to speak - or short timers.

I'd like to say I'm a player of whatever instrument is in front of me. Except horns, trombone was my first instrument in grade school and I still hate them.

Giest

Never a tune you can dance to.
Reaction score
I have literally never thought about it.

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
'Cause I got a worried mind sharin' what I thought was mine
Gonna leave her where the guitars play
24kigo.jpg

ZeroS1gnol

Reaction score
I identified as a guitarist the moment I whipped out my first 0 3 5 on the high E string at 11 years old :lol:
:lol::lol:

TTMjeremy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Im a musician. Guitar just happens to be the tool I use to express it. I dont think there is a “right time” when you know youre “legit”. I think if you can play/write the music YOU want to play and create, then that is all that matters. To say youre not a real guitarist unless you can play such and such solo one handed, or sweep pick arpeggios flawlessly is ridiculous.

I play guitar for my band Two Ton Memory. Alt metal/hard rock. We’re gaining some pretty good momentum. I know my way around the fret board. Tech ability, probably a solid C+. Not the best by far. There are so many players out there that can blow me away with technical ability. But cant write a good song to save their life. I think there is difference between guitar PLAYERS, and musicians. Different breeds. Bedroom/youtube players doing covers/lessons, and then there are guys that are good at both, writing and playing. Most important thing to remember is that we’re all students and to support each other. Just my opinion.

Dayn

Reaction score
Looking back, I think I began calling myself guitarist as soon as I picked it up and started playing.

I only started referring to myself as a musician about... 8 years ago or so.

Steinmetzify

CHUG & SLUDGE
Reaction score
First time I thought of myself as a ‘guitarist’ was the first time I wrote something I’d never heard on guitar as a musical line.

There are times I write things and can’t repeat them after I record them; that’s how I know I’m a guitarist.

Latest posts

')