The most unimaginably difficult task I've had mixing.

• Thread starter Dakota
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dakota

Reaction score

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Larcher

fpoon
Contributor
Reaction score
snare sounds good imo, but right now your kick is kinda loud, maybe just turn it down a tad and this mix will sound pretty nice !

Reaction score
Sounds kinda thin and metallic imo especially the guitars.

I love the song and playing though, do you mind posting up the DI tracks and midi drums for me to try mixing it?

Speculum Speculorum

Reaction score
First off, I like the balls-out rock vibe you've got going on in the piece. It makes me want to drive fast in a fast car.

I would second that the kick sits a little bit heavy in the mix. Careful on the tuning of the guitars around the 45 second mark. The power chords are quite a bit out. It could be that you are pushing the notes out of tune or that there is an intonation issue. How old are your strings?

To get into the dirty details - there is some serious string noise in between the open palm mutes at the 1:28 mark. It is loud enough to distract me and also make me not want to listen very loudly on headphones. This may be partly due to the level of highs present in the overall guitar tone mix. Also, I think I hear bass guitar. But I may just be filling up psycho-acoustic space with my expectations. To put it simply, if there is bass guitar, the tone is really seated in with the kick drum and I always hear it very well.

In the big picture, you've got nice little details in the mix (the link in silence at around 30 seconds, for example) and the piece moves along at a nice pace. I would simply tighten up the playing in the parts where mutes are slightly different in the L&R channel and work on the aforementioned issues and you should be golden.

Dakota

Reaction score
@FourFour - Thin guitars = result of Pod X3 Live, and thanks, I'll get you the midi and as soon as I can.

@Speculum Seculorum - Thank you! That's what I was going for. The reason why the guitars flop on those powerchords and the extra noise at 1:28, my tuning is CADGBE and I was picking very hard, so every note was followed by my pick muting the string. (not the prettiest sound).

Thank you!

KingAenarion

Resident Studio Nerd
Reaction score
I'd be interested to know the space you're mixing in and what you're mixing on.

It sounds a bit like you're overcompensating for Bass.

Try adding some about 80Hz to the kick, and turning down what you've boosted for the click in the kick.

Btw... some wicked riffs here, this is much better than the last mix.

Dakota

Reaction score
@KingAenarion - I'm mixing on some pretty terrible and small Logitech speakers that came with a small sub, (that only has volume no eq, lame.) And DT770 Pro Headphones, Cubase 5, Pod X3, Ez Drummer, Waves, etc. I'm not sure how to make a mix sound huge without the bass getting boomy, it's something I need to figure out!

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
ah! that logitech sub has a resonance at 80 hz, doesn't it? if it does, then that's probably the exact same speaker setup i used to have!

Dakota

Reaction score
Yea, it's quite boomy. I need monitors! I was looking at M-Audio B5xa.

I also run a program that takes over my onboard sound called Breakaway Audio Enhancer, it basically colors the audio with presets of different custom eq's, I turn off the compressors and run different presets to hear what my mixes sound like on different sound setups. It's very cool.

')