The "NAMM 2021" Thread

• Thread starter DrakkarTyrannis
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

josh1

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Man, Ibanez stepped their game up from last years release. I really like the pink sparkles rg.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

I play music

Reaction score
p_region_SR1600D_ASK_1P_01_sub_3.jpg

p_region_S1070PBZ_WFB_1P_03_sub_3.jpg

p_region_RG421PB_CHF_1P_04.png

Did they consult Jeffy Kiesel for finish choice or what the fuck is this?

I play music

Reaction score
My expectations for Ibanez 2021:
  • Vogg sig Destroyer
  • Marten Hagstrom sig LP 8 string
  • headless guitar
  • more stainless steel frets
  • 5000 line XL models
  • maybe bass with Dingwall scale
nothing.

At least they still have a handful good models from past years...

lucidguitar

Reaction score
All I've wanted from Ibanez lately is an AZ2204 in a sea foam green with a white pearliod pickguard. I have the blue and I love it, and it's not like they're not making a lot of guitars in the sea foam green color now so why wouldn't they do this. The pinkish coral color is ok but I'm holding out for sea foam, though it may never come. Purple RG7 will probably get my money though as long as it's around more than just this year. Early next year is as early as I can justify a new guitar. But damn that purple is sexy and I need to fill out my 7 string tunings.

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
Every year I see Ibanez less and less bold and more trailing in the market.
Let's see if we can steal some Suhr player, let's see if we can retain fanbase and not let them go to Jackson or Schecter.
Let's use pick-ups different from DiMarzio...
They do things to stay in the market, a bit of everything, but nothing bold.
I totally see them going into the headless market but, again, without much conviction and dedication.
I'm not a fan of headless guitars, but I would never say "Ibby shouldn't waste time because I don't like them", but they have a market, so it's a wise decision.
Research and development on headless could bring new ideas into guitar building...but I doubt Ibby will learn the lesson, and like someone else said, they'll release guitars with the worse possible specs (I still think at the 9 strings as an abortion).

People say there are parts of the EHB that are well engineered so I have cautious hopes for the EHG, whatever form it will take.
They should just rip off the larada and give it a iceman treble cutaway

Mboogie7

When the fuck did we get ice cream?
Reaction score
New Ibanez models right here:
AZ with rosewood fretboard:

7 string AZ

and many more

Damn I hope Ibanez releases that 7 string AZ in a lefty model, although I doubt they will since they seem to avoid 7string trem loaded guitars like the plague for us southpaws.

That would cure my GAS for at least a couple years.

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
People say there are parts of the EHB that are well engineered so I have cautious hopes for the EHG, whatever form it will take.
They should just rip off the larada and give it a iceman treble cutaway

the headpiece is great and awesome.

Forkface

Feast on this.
Reaction score
the only thing i would be remotely interested from that ibanez lineup is the white waggoner, and even then i swore to stay away from tremolos after my last floyded guitar.

sad that no prestige S's and RGA's :(

DEUCE SLUICE

Reaction score
That new hardtail Prestige RDGR is neat!

All I've wanted from Ibanez lately is an AZ2204 in a sea foam green with a white pearliod pickguard.

There's a seafoam green AZ2206.

I find absolutely nothing I'm interested in ..
Why the fuck did they make short scale variants of the EHB instead of super long scale to go against Dingwall??

People who obsess over the long scale thing are probably just going to buy a Dingwall anyways.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
the basses have always been awesome.
it's like they're run by a completely different guy that actually likes instruments.

So true. It’s like the Ibanez Skunk Works department. They release some crazy stuff. I mean, they get a bass with 7 strings, three of which are on a fretless portion of the neck, which is made out of a different wood than the 4 string fretted portion, and is controlled with a piezo pickup. Burl top. And in the guitar department I can’t get an 8 string trem because it’s “too niche.” I love their bass department, and I literally bought one of those new Ashulas because it’s so crazy, and I love that they did it.

bigcupholder

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I like the short scale multi scale headless bass. I haven't tried a short scale bass yet, but I really want to. I could see myself getting an EHB of some variant next year.

A lot of the new guitar finishes are awful.

I really want them to make a hardtail prestige S with two humbuckers and a normal finish. I've been waiting for a decade for this.

I play music

Reaction score
People who obsess over the long scale thing are probably just going to buy a Dingwall anyways.
I actually thought the ESP LTD sounded better.
But both of them don't have stainless steel frets and I'd prefer headless, so EHB would be the thing for me.

mlp187

Burrito Master
Contributor
Reaction score
It is sort of goofy that they don't have an "Ibanez Guitar Workshop," but the bass workshop instruments aren't cheap, and they're all MII. Would the guitar side actually buy Prestige-priced MII guitars?
I did it in 2017! Still have it, too. Sold my prestige models off, in-fact. That being said, up until June of this year, you could still buy the model I purchased from MF. So... probably not?

DEUCE SLUICE

Reaction score
I actually thought the ESP LTD sounded better.
But both of them don't have stainless steel frets and I'd prefer headless, so EHB would be the thing for me.

Personally, I think Dingwalls sound like shit. They sound like a kickball to me - it's just "springy."

The EHB scale length choice is the "correct" one as far as I'm concerned.

edit: Oh hey, there's a new Prestige multiscale SR bass in Japan with Nordstrands. Nice. Would really be nice to see more Prestige basses out there - particularly with Nordstrands. It's silly that the Premiums and even regulars get substantially better pickups than the Prestiges.

Last edited:

I play music

Reaction score
Personally, I think Dingwalls sound like shit. They sound like a kickball to me - it's just "springy."

The EHB scale length choice is the "correct" one as far as I'm concerned.

edit: Oh hey, there's a new Prestige multiscale SR bass in Japan with Nordstrands. Nice. Would really be nice to see more Prestige basses out there - particularly with Nordstrands. It's silly that the Premiums and even regulars get substantially better pickups than the Prestiges.
I agree they chose the scale length well but I wouldn't mind a longer scale option for that low f# or f. Would make more sense to me than the short scale option they just released

')