The "NAMM 2021" Thread

• Thread starter DrakkarTyrannis
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

I play music

Reaction score
Why? There's already a 5150. Why the hell would anyone buy a "new" 5150 for more than likely 4 digits when you can just get one for much cheaper used?
Maybe they add all the load box IR stuff a la Mesa Badlander
Can't imagine it to be just like an old 5150

laxu

Reaction score
This got me feeling some things...

p_region_EHB1005SMS_EMM_1P_01.png

Love it. I wish they had gone with chrome hardware and white pickups/controls though but I suppose you can get some new knobs and pickup covers.

Depending on pricing might end up picking one up when they become available. I am pretty happy with my BTB33 so I decided not to get an EHB when they became available but this new color might make me change my mind...

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Isnt anyone excited about 43 new almost identical les Paul's from gibson in 2021?

just checked their site. Man.. that's disappointing. I'm glad I picked up my seafoam green LP classic a few years ago. There was a brief period (very brief period), when they were doing some really cool finishes. Too bad they've gone away from that.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
just checked their site. Man.. that's disappointing. I'm glad I picked up my seafoam green LP classic a few years ago. There was a brief period (very brief period), when they were doing some really cool finishes. Too bad they've gone away from that.
It must be what the average Gibson buyer wants.

Zhysick

Reaction score
Most people that want a Les Paul want a Tobacco Burst, a plain Cherry translucent finish and that kind of "classic" finishes... goldtop, black for a custom and not much more. Seafoam? That's for Fender...

I would love a pink sparkle Les Paul. I would love a pink sparkle whatever :lol:

Pink Sparkle for president!

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
Anything new from Jackson? Heard they were doing a different import factory. SKor probably after that Wildcard series?
I think this rumor is mostly speculation, and a good bit of it from me, based on pretty much nothing other than the existence of a new MIJ Charvel being spotted in the wild, and MIK Jacksons and Charvels slowly showing up in their product line. With a good bit of cryptic hinting at *something* coming this year by a contact I have at a dealer.

However, models have been disappearing from the Jackson website recently. Could be a product line overhaul/restructure similar what we saw in 2014/2015. That's more speculation from me there and probably shouldn't be trusted, haha.

Just make a 7 string soloist or Dinky that's not black.

_MonSTeR_

Reaction score
That's how I feel about Ibanez.

"You know that same super strat we've been making for 100 years? Well here it is again...in BLUE!!!"

I think that’s the problem that companies with a heritage face though. Gibson has to make Les Pauls, Fender has to make Strats and Ibanez has to make RGs. They have bean counters and analysts whose job it is to understand what sells and how much they are projected to make based on changes to their lines. Their projections say the same superstrat in blue will sell, so that’s what they make.

At least Ibanez are also offering the other superstrat they make in an expanded range this year...? ;)

Zhysick

Reaction score
I think this is the year with more Ibanez RGDs since the year that shape was released? Standard line, prestige, Axxion... there are also some RGAs back so... stop complaining about Ibanez, at least is not just plain black RGs this year.

Millul

Reaction score
I think this is the year with more Ibanez RGDs since the year that shape was released? Standard line, prestige, Axxion... there are also some RGAs back so... stop complaining about Ibanez, at least is not just plain black RGs this year.

In fairness, it's the fun of SSO - NO brand will ever issue the perfect guitar for this board, also because it's definitely a moving target.
I agree though, Ibanez' new catalogue might not be the most exciting ever, but it's still pretty strong: AZ7s in a bunch of versions, a few really cool RGs (the koa one as a Prestige would be a $2500+ instrument, and how many would they sell...?), the RGDs...and so on.
Unfortunately, looks like no one is buying Ss and 8s, hence the scarce to none offer in the new line up (though this could admittedly be a byproduct of poor offerings to start with, in a vicious cycle).

Sumsar

Reaction score
Speaking of the AZ7: That and the Angel Vivaldi signatures are going for non-locking trems (same Gotoh model I believe?). Curious to see if Jackson, ESP and Schecter might also start down this route at some point, as well as Ibanez for more pointier guitar styles.
For me personally I love doing black metal, death metal and shred stuff on a pointy super strat, but I really don't find I need a locking tremolo much and it comes with a lot of hasle, so lately I have begun just removing the locking clamps on them and using the standard tuners. Only issue here is that on mid level guitars the floyd or ibanez equivalent might be top spec but the tuners are certainly not, which makes sense.

')