The "NAMM 2021" Thread

• Thread starter DrakkarTyrannis
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I think that’s the problem that companies with a heritage face though. Gibson has to make Les Pauls, Fender has to make Strats and Ibanez has to make RGs. They have bean counters and analysts whose job it is to understand what sells and how much they are projected to make based on changes to their lines. Their projections say the same superstrat in blue will sell, so that’s what they make.

At least Ibanez are also offering the other superstrat they make in an expanded range this year...? ;)

Ibanez hasn't put out anything of interest since the Halberd. At least it was something different.

Gibson and Fender will stumble up and do something interesting, at least one thing, every year. If nothing else their stuff will at least look good. Ibanez does the same guitar just in some weird color. They tried to make extreme shapes but that didn't work. They tried to push their AX guitar but no one wanted it. It seems they're just stuck making the same most basic guitar in existence. The only thing they kinda have going for them is the Iceman and even that's not all that exciting. Hell I can't even think of any guitar players I find all that exciting that play Ibanez. I can't even think of an Ibanez signature guitar that was anything other than the same tired shit.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Zhysick

Reaction score
Wooooow... you hate Ibanez a lot more than me. I am shocked. Lot of hate there... :lol:

Reaction score
Wooooow... you hate Ibanez a lot more than me. I am shocked. Lot of hate there... :lol:
I really do. Even when I was a kid getting into guitar, Ibanez just seemed like the most boring shit ever. After seeing them in person, playing them, and all that stuff years later I still think it's the most boring shit ever. So much so that I've only once heard anyone mention them outside this forum. The person? Some gear nerd obsessed with telling everyone how Ibanez guitars are the "superior" guitar over anyone else's choices. Very fitting that the only person I've heard mention Ibanez happens to be exactly what I figured.

Zhysick

Reaction score
I really do. Even when I was a kid getting into guitar, Ibanez just seemed like the most boring shit ever. After seeing them in person, playing them, and all that stuff years later I still think it's the most boring shit ever. So much so that I've only once heard anyone mention them outside this forum. The person? Some gear nerd obsessed with telling everyone how Ibanez guitars are the "superior" guitar over anyone else's choices. Very fitting that the only person I've heard mention Ibanez happens to be exactly what I figured.

Well, that is far, very far from my reality, but I don't like Ibanez either, specially because of their neck profile, I don't get why people think those wide, flat and thin necks are comfortable BUT what you described in my country is a Gibson/Fender fanboy, I have never met an Ibanez-boy that act like that, except here the bzhang9 or whatever, that dude.

I think the RG is a cool locking guitar, specially in pink with the black pickguard, pink buckers and matching headstock. I like that kind of flashy things so I guess I cannot hate Ibanez like you do :lol:

_MonSTeR_

Reaction score
Ibanez hasn't put out anything of interest since the Halberd. At least it was something different.

Gibson and Fender will stumble up and do something interesting, at least one thing, every year. If nothing else their stuff will at least look good. Ibanez does the same guitar just in some weird color. They tried to make extreme shapes but that didn't work. They tried to push their AX guitar but no one wanted it. It seems they're just stuck making the same most basic guitar in existence. The only thing they kinda have going for them is the Iceman and even that's not all that exciting. Hell I can't even think of any guitar players I find all that exciting that play Ibanez. I can't even think of an Ibanez signature guitar that was anything other than the same tired shit.

I'm still mourning the loss of the Xiphos. If I'd known it would have been discontinued I'd have bought one, but I was always waiting for the Japanese version... Ironically I loved the red/green chameleon finish they did and if they had done a Japanese version, it would probably have been black or something equally conservative.

Nothing else they've done that was an "extreme" shape interested me in the slightest.

The RG sells by the truckload for them so I guess their accountants see no reason to cater for the niche markets given their lack of success with them so far?

Reaction score
Oh wait..Daron Malakain. I stand corrected. The ONLY guitarist I can associate with Ibanez that's even slightly interesting to me. He plays Icemans, one of the only 2 shapes I find even slightly interesting from Ibanez.

Mathemagician

Reaction score
Sam Totman from Dragonforce also played Iceland for a long time. Paul Gilbert plays firemans (new purple one with 3 mini humbuckers out this year).

But at least Ibanez also invests in creating their own hardware. Meaning there’s other options in the market for people building guitars to use if they want.

Zhysick

Reaction score
I don't know either of these people.

Really? You don't know who Paul Gilbert is? OK... I'm sure you can name several guitarists from the black/death metal scene that I don't know but it's hard to comprehend that somebody learnt to play guitar without watching Paul Gilbert's, Frank Gambale's or John Petrucci's instructional videos :lol:

Mathemagician

Reaction score
Paul Gilbert gave us Racer X “Scarified” and then 30+ more years of music.

His solo album “Silence Followed by a Deafening Roar” is fantastic. But he’s got a ton so there’s something for everyone.

And Sam Totman is in the band that plays “Through the Fire and the Flames” which kept guitar hero afloat years longer than it should have lasted, lol.

Bearitone

Reaction score
I dont know any of those people either lol. Or at least i haven’t listened to any of their music.

I learned literally by having my teacher show me As I Lay Dying and August Burns Red riffs.

InfinityCollision

Reaction score
Really? You don't know who Paul Gilbert is? OK... I'm sure you can name several guitarists from the black/death metal scene that I don't know but it's hard to comprehend that somebody learnt to play guitar without watching Paul Gilbert's, Frank Gambale's or John Petrucci's instructional videos :lol:
Why? I've never watched any of their instructional videos. I mostly know about Gilbert and Petrucci through communities like this, never much liked their music. Gambale I know by association with Chick Corea, but don't listen to much.

Most guitarists, even metal and fusion guitarists, aren't heavily invested in shred. Even of those who are, fair chance they learned through other routes.

Reaction score
I've heard the name. If he was standing in front of me right now I'd have no clue who he is. I don't even recall ever seeing him. I care nothing about Petrucci, or Gamble (he's another I know nothing about and couldn't even tell you what he looks like).

I wasn't aware any of them had instructional vids and I have no desire to watch them

Last edited:
Reaction score
You'll all know you're being trolled... right?
How is it trolling? The statement was simple. I find Ibanez to be a horrendously boring company and I can't think of anyone on their roster I care anything about nor do they have any models besides one that I have any interest in

')