The "NAMM 2021" Thread

• Thread starter DrakkarTyrannis
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
For real. They need to fuckin Fortinize one of their own amps.

Copy another person's design and quadruple the price?

I mean, I am surprised they haven't tried to do a hot-rodded Plexi/JCM style amp. TECHNICALLY the JVM is that, but it's so far from the 2203X's platform that it doesn't count.

When they can readily sell Marshall branded anything, down to t shirts and socks they really don’t have to cater to niche player interests. The product already sells itself.

Also this. The MG series is one of the most maligned amps in the world, but it still sells like hotcakes. And the amps that DO get praise (The DSL and Origin line) sell like crazy.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mathemagician

Reaction score
WTF is Marshall origin? I’ve been out of the loop on the brand a long time. I’m still surprised high gain players seem to like the old mode 4, and the JVM’s (did Laiho use one?)

Reaction score
WTF is Marshall origin? I’ve been out of the loop on the brand a long time. I’m still surprised high gain players seem to like the old mode 4, and the JVM’s (did Laiho use one?)
The Mode Four seems to be a hidden gem. I'd like to try one out at some point.

Both of the MF cabs were heavenly and I wish they'd kept them

Accoun

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
regulated the KV to C# for performing Thing That Should Not Be
Noob question - looked at a few tabs and they're in D. I assume they play it live a step lower than on album? Didn't know they were doing it even back then.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Noob question - looked at a few tabs and they're in D. I assume they play it live a step lower than on album? Didn't know they were doing it even back then.

Yeah the song was recorded in D, but even since the Puppets tour, they tuned a semitone down to C#/Db. Wasn't a mistake either, since they did the same during the Justice and Black tours.

The Origin is a Vintage-styled amp like an old JTM with more features. Also the Mode Four and JVM have STUPID amounts of gain. Almost too much. The red mode on OD1/OD2 is almost pointless. :lol:
Also yeah Alexi pretty much used the JVM until he died.

Mathemagician

Reaction score
Makes sense, Live they also play everything written in E, in Eb IIRC.

BigPhi84

Pronounced "FEE"
Reaction score
Weird thing is this was still during 1986 - 1994, when everything was still in standard. Of all the songs they drop-tuned, it was the one that was already dropped.

Some of those "Kill Em All" vocals were pretty high! It was pretty smart if you think about... James was able to maintain a decent level of singing over the decades (whether you like the change in his style/technique is a matter of personal taste), whilst his contemporaries faceplanted.

Mathemagician

Reaction score
Some of those "Kill Em All" vocals were pretty high! It was pretty smart if you think about... James was able to maintain a decent level of singing over the decades (whether you like the change in his style/technique is a matter of personal taste), whilst his contemporaries faceplanted.

Gimme Foo, Gimme FAH, Gimme Diboo Daboo Zaaah! Ye-heah!

#loveit

nedheftyfunk

Reaction score
Yeah the song was recorded in D, but even since the Puppets tour, they tuned a semitone down to C#/Db. Wasn't a mistake either, since they did the same during the Justice and Black tours.

I haven't played along to check, but in his recent Gibson Icon interview Kirk says the original recording is down 1 1/2 steps:

Reactions: LCW

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
40:30-41:00. If you're right, I guess he's misremembering the original if they play it live an extra half step down.

I mean it was like... forever ago, so I can understand that. :lol: He brings up Sabbath, and the main reason I thought they tuned it down to C# live WAS because of Sabbath, and the fact they didn't play any other guitar in D/C#, so they were able to have that freedom for that one song.

Listen to the original (above), then go to a live video (still above) and you can hear the difference.

Reactions: LCW

nedheftyfunk

Reaction score
I mean it was like... forever ago, so I can understand that. :lol: He brings up Sabbath, and the main reason I thought they tuned it down to C# live WAS because of Sabbath, and the fact they didn't play any other guitar in D/C#, so they were able to have that freedom for that one song.

Listen to the original (above), then go to a live video (still above) and you can hear the difference.

Having listened, you're right, of course, the original is in D. I guess he's mis-remembering from whenever they decided to drop it another half-step for live performances.

Accoun

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
He brings up Sabbath, and the main reason I thought they tuned it down to C# live WAS because of Sabbath

Funnily that he mentions Sabbath, saying they tuned one step lower than them because he got that turned around - they tuned to D for Thingy on the album, while IIRC Iommi tuned to C# on later releases with Ozzy.
But yeah, I assume he's misremembering because it was so long ago and he played it tuned even lower for the rest of his life.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Funnily that he mentions Sabbath, saying they tuned one step lower than them because he got that turned around - they tuned to D fro Thingy on the album, while IIRC Iommi tuned to C# on later releases with Ozzy.
But yeah, I assume he's misremembering because it was so long ago and he played it tuned even lower for the rest of his life.

I also imagine heavy helpings of booze didn't help much. :lol:

Anyway, the V looks slick. Definitely will have to get one. Keep tradition and tune it to C#.

Celtic Frosted Flakes

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The Mode Four seems to be a hidden gem. I'd like to try one out at some point.

Both of the MF cabs were heavenly and I wish they'd kept them

Never played one, and not sure if I actually have seen one as well. But I remember something about the Mode Four being a mix of tube and solid state?

')