The New Agile/SX/Rondo Model Mega-Thread

• Thread starter JoeuJGM
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JoeuJGM

Reaction score
Hey all! So I'm not sure if this has been posted yet, or atleast I haven't seen it posted yet, but it seems that Rondo Music has a new 7 string up, specifically a 25.5"-27" multi-scale, for only $400!

210gcc5.jpg

I'm not sure what to think of it, I'd think it'd be around the same build quality of the other Agiles around $400(which is pretty spotty from what I've heard), but I'd imagine that they had to cut a lot of corners to produce a multiscale at that price. And a how well would a straight pickup on a multiscale work? I've only ever seen angled pickups on multiscales so I'd think issues could arise regarding a consistent sound across all the strings.
Either way, I might end up getting myself one of these for Christmas this year. If this means that we'll see more of these for sale, I'm excited to see what else Kurt has in store for the multiscale market. I dig it, but what are your guys' thoughts on these?

EDIT: Oh yeah, the link would help :p
http://www.rondomusic.com/product3336.html

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SkyIllusion

Maine Music Teacher
Reaction score
I've never played on a Multi-scale guitar but I've had some interest. Definitely something to look into; it's like when I got my first seven. Start with something cheaper to decide if I like the feel of it. :D

Thanks for sharing, I think I might be getting one so long as its not made of plywood :p

JoeuJGM

Reaction score
I've never played on a Multi-scale guitar but I've had some interest. Definitely something to look into; it's like when I got my first seven. Start with something cheaper to decide if I like the feel of it. :D

Thanks for sharing, I think I might be getting one so long as its not made of plywood :p

No problem, thought I'd let it out in the open instead of hidden under the multiscale tab on Rondo :p
And my thoughts exactly, it seems like a cheap way to test the waters of multiscale, and it's a hell of a lot cheaper than the Pendulum Pro models that they've had for a while. I was sold as soon as I saw the price, you can't really go wrong with it.

MetalDaze

Repless in Seattle
Reaction score
You can certainly use a straight pickup, but the tone will be different because of the distance from the low strings to the bridge.

So, instead of sounding like a bridge pickup, it will be more like a middle one on those low strings.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
That's... Going to sound extremely weird. :ugh:

Probably decent for lead work, but the rhythm tones are going to sound woofy as hell.

ratm2020

Reaction score
Shit at that price, may have to buy one, fill that pickup route, make a new one and refinish it....:idea:

Robby the Robot

The President Bits
Reaction score
They almost got it right with this one. Now if they were to go with a blade design that might help a little bit, but still needs a slanted pickup. :2c:

crg123

SS.orgLocalArchitect
Reaction score
Lol wat?

I think its awesome that its so cheap but I don't think it'd be that hard to program a CNC to throw in an angled pickup (they could have used a bar one - think X2N) Pretty crazy to bring that to the masses though. It opens up fan frets to people who have been dying to try them.

I can really see someone going mod crazy with one of these. Too bad the necks on those chinese made models are awful (my friend bought one, I own an Elite and I love it)

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I just hope it doesn't turn them away because of how weird the tones will sound with the straight pickup.

Also, we need more 7 and 8-string Agiles with that headstock

geofreesun

Reaction score
headstock would look a lot better/more balanced to me if it's reversed with 3 on bass + 4 on treble.

Grand Moff Tim

Some call me... Tim
Reaction score
I still don't think the tones will sound all that weird. Strats and teles have slanted pickups with straight bridges, and the low strings on those don't sound loose or "woofy," so I'd think a straight pickup on a slanted bridge would have a similar effect. Which is to say, not much of one. I don't think it'll have NO effect, but I doubt it'll be unlistenable.

EDIT: There's also the BCR Gunslinger, which has a straight pup on a slanted bridge, and some people seem to like those well enough:

bcr1.jpg

Negav

Reaction score
Hm seems interesting. Too bad Agile is not worth it where I live. To ship it here costs me quiiiite a lot.

MikeyLawless

Reaction score
I still don't think the tones will sound all that weird. Strats and teles have slanted pickups with straight bridges, and the low strings on those don't sound loose or "woofy," so I'd think a straight pickup on a slanted bridge would have a similar effect. Which is to say, not much of one. I don't think it'll have NO effect, but I doubt it'll be unlistenable.

EDIT: There's also the BCR Gunslinger, which has a straight pup on a slanted bridge, and some people seem to like those well enough:

bcr1.jpg

I own a green one of these...fantastic guitars more suited to a more trebly pickup.

The agile is a lot further from the bridge though lol.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Yeah I can dig the BC Rich, while the Agile's pickup is both far away from the bridge and has a wider angle. :ugh:

I mean, I can understand; it's a $400 fanned-fret guitar. I'm not expecting precision at that price. But I wouldn't play this and expect the uber-dj00ntz.

InfinityCollision

Reaction score
Strats, teles, nighthawks, a few of the strandbergs (aren't the CL7 and Boden 8 set up this way too?), some BRJ neck pickups, etc... It's not bad, it's different.

I think its awesome that its so cheap but I don't think it'd be that hard to program a CNC to throw in an angled pickup (they could have used a bar one - think X2N)

Difficulty has nothing to do with it, Rondo has been offering multiscales with angled pickups for a long time. It's a cost-cutting measure and also allows the buyer greater freedom to mod.

Good move on Kurt's part.

EDIT: Not related to this item, but I just noticed there's several new scale options for the multiscale Pendulums on the custom order page. Good shit.

MikeyLawless

Reaction score
Yeah I can dig the BC Rich, while the Agile's pickup is both far away from the bridge and has a wider angle. :ugh:

I mean, I can understand; it's a $400 fanned-fret guitar. I'm not expecting precision at that price. But I wouldn't play this and expect the uber-dj00ntz.

I think it boils down to, someone buy it and let us know! It may sound awesome.

Major thanks to kurt for jumping into this market. I dont think its been said enough, really.

')