the new Fishman Fluence Mick Thomson signature pickups

• Thread starter soldierkahn
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

lurè

Fake Shredder
Reaction score
Dunno, the only Fluence that made me interested in are the Classics and maybe the Abasi.
This new signature sounds like something you could completely cover with a Modern.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Dunno, the only Fluence that made me interested in are the Classics and maybe the Abasi.
This new signature sounds like something you could completely cover with a Modern.
If these actually get rid of the ugly-ass midrange of the Moderns, I'd say this is what the moderns SHOULD have sounded like lol

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
yeah these sound awesome here.
They sound very eh to me. But then again i've never particularly liked Mick or Jim's guitar tones. They fit Slipknot's music 100% just not a tone I personally like. I still think Fishman's best pick ups are the Willie Adlers.

HATEMORPH

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
i personally loved Seymour Duncan Blackouts, then the EMTY pickups came out and i fell in love with them, especially for lower tuning stuff but then got into Fishman Fluence moderns and felt that, for me personally, they were just perfect for the tone i was subjectively chasing.
i have about 8 guitars with Moderns and 2 guitars with classics. i find that the Mick Thomson Sig's sound like a mix between the moderns and the classics. it has lower output than the modern, but higher output than the classics, they're a little more chunky than the Classics voice 2 and a little tighter than the moderns. for me, i think the EQ is a little less midrange-ish, too. they sound awesome and i specifically installed them in a guitar that was naturally bright sounding. these did the job perfectly, and made that guitar more balanced to my ears.

all in all, they're great sounding pickups but i still prefer the standard moderns, but thats just my taste. i definitely recommened them.

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
I'm wondering if pickup companies now have more signature models than their own regular models.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Did like
Fishman send out a mandate for YouTube reviewers not letting them directly compare other Fishman pickups to each other? Ive yet to see a single direct comparison between these new sig Fishman pickups and the standard moderns lol.

I'm 100% sure when companies send stuff to demo they state exactly what to showcase and what not to. When watching reviews of both the Friedman IR-X and IR-D I was like "why the hell everyone systematically demos the three built-in impulses". I mean it's the first thing everyone is going to change and put their own. I wouldn't be surprised if they later start to offer paid IRs and this is how they introduce people to them.

MAJ Meadows SF

on a tone quest
Reaction score
from your front yard, staring into your window
Outside of the Adler’s, these may be the only Fishmans I can tolerate. I’ve NEVER jived with their frequencies and voicings. Love the harmonics but like everyone said, that midrange is overbearing (IMO). Even live it bothers me.

I’ve still not been swayed from EMG/EMGx for actives. Even SD Blackouts aren’t my thing, although I do keep something with them installed, if nothing else for variety sake.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
So, are people over Fishman now? Are we just further through the hype cycle?

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
I think SSO has always been kind of meh on Moderns but are kinder to a handful of other fluences like the Adler

ThomasUV777

Reaction score
Agufish review:

We need to talk about banning content that starts with "We need to talk about".

I think SSO has always been kind of meh on Moderns but are kinder to a handful of other fluences like the Adler

I owned the Devin Townsend set and they were great, but nothing an EMG81TW & EMG 89R combo couldn't do for example.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Nobody else finds it weird that this entire demo was played through a whammy pedal taking it to Drop B? Is that considered an accurate sound for these pickups?

I don't give two shits about a Fishman pickup demo, or any YT guitar-fluencer video, but I think you mean a wah vs. whammy, and it's probably just the actual voicing of these pickups; Fluences are notorious for their mid-range "honk" tone, and it's ruined some people's sound, like the last few Trivium albums.

Tad0684

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I don't give two shits about a Fishman pickup demo, or any YT guitar-fluencer video, but I think you mean a wah vs. whammy, and it's probably just the actual voicing of these pickups; Fluences are notorious for their mid-range "honk" tone, and it's ruined some people's sound, like the last few Trivium albums.
I get what you are saying but in that demo the kid has the guitar tunes to drop D, then turns on a Digitech Whammy pedal to detune it to Drop B and continues with the review

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
I get what you are saying but in that demo the kid has the guitar tunes to drop D, then turns on a Digitech Whammy pedal to detune it to Drop B and continues with the review

Oh gross, that's an even worse way to demo a pickup then just by owning a Fishman! I assume he did it because Slipknot is in Drop B, but still, just play their stuff in Drop D and call it a day, the riff is the riff, doesn't matter if it's their exact tuning; or use another guitar that's setup for lower tunings even if it's C standard or B standard, something that shows off how it holds low register instead of a god damn digital de-tune.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Nobody else finds it weird that this entire demo was played through a whammy pedal taking it to Drop B? Is that considered an accurate sound for these pickups?
Oh wow I thought he just tuned the guitar down to B and kept the thin stings and Tony Iommi'd it. That's fucking stupid lmao. I don't care how much you tweak the amp, that'll color the tone going into the amp way too much

Tad0684

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Oh wow I thought he just tuned the guitar down to B and kept the thin stings and Tony Iommi'd it. That's fucking stupid lmao. I don't care how much you tweak the amp, that'll color the tone going into the amp way too much
I could not take anything he said seriously after that. I'm not sure how people did not pick up on it but he says it right before he starts the actual demo. I am not taking reviews of pickups that have been put through a digital detuner as accurate. I know some bands do this live when they don't have a tech or can't take several guitars out but its considered a band aid.

')