The new Gibby "weight relief" LP

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
GibsonLesPaul2007WeightRelief.jpg

GibsonLesPaul2007WeightReliefPic.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
i'll stick with my "heavy guitar" (heavy tone :D) les paul thanks

eleven59

None shall pass.
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, they thought they were getting complaints about the new LPs not feeling/sounding like the old ones before...

And now watch the value of older LPs climb further through the roof.

ibzrg1570

Reaction score
Well perhaps the chambered body will let the top resonate more, which could help the tone depending on what you're after.

Tangent: I tried out the new Ibanez ARX320 today and that thing is seriously 2 pounds heavier than an Epi LP Standard that I compared it with. Other than that it seemed halfway decent save for a few minor issues with the finish and fretboard binding.

eleven59

None shall pass.
Contributor
Reaction score
Well perhaps the chambered body will let the top resonate more, which could help the tone depending on what you're after.

:nono: A Les Paul is supposed to be heavier than sin and sound accordingly. If they want to create a new sound, create a new guitar, stop trying to revamp the classics. They should keep the existing models (from 20 years ago mind you, not what they've been offering the last 20 years) and add the chambered ones as a separate option.

playstopause

Contributor
Reaction score
^

I agree with this. A LP is a LP. You know what you're getting.
They might wanna tag this one differently... "The feather Paul"...
It's an interesting concept otherwise.

eelblack2

Fewel
Contributor
Reaction score
Thats kinda like what they did on the Les Paul Supremes. They look beautiful, but they sound and feel nothing like a normal Les Paul. A few years ago after they came out I went to GC with cash in hand intending to buy one based on the way they looked and the specs, after trying it, I walked right out and looked for a Flametop Custom online instead.

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Interesting. I'd like to hear how it sounds. I like my friend's '89 LP Studio, it plays nice. :agreed:

the.godfather

Mr. Flibble
Reaction score
Hmmm, like everyone else I'm not really sure. Surely the over-heaviness of a LP is the main tone characteristic. And without that extra bulk and weight it just wouldn't feel "right" for me at all. That's what a LP is all about. A big ass, heavy monster.

It'd be interesting to hear/play one though. :agreed:

stuz719

Stoic. With a small "s".
Reaction score
:nono: A Les Paul is supposed to be heavier than sin and sound accordingly. If they want to create a new sound, create a new guitar, stop trying to revamp the classics. They should keep the existing models (from 20 years ago mind you, not what they've been offering the last 20 years) and add the chambered ones as a separate option.

+1

The only downer is that when Gibson has tried something different (e.g. the M-III, a very good guitar IIRC - it's quite some time since I played one) it hasn't sold - partly because they were so slow responding to what the market wanted, and partly because they were too aware that the Les Paul, 335, 175 etc. were their cash cows and didn't want to break too far from their conservative approach (hence the bizarre mix old some really modern features with really clunky aesthetics - witness the tortoiseshell pickguard on the M-III).

FortePenance

Reaction score
This was posted elsewhere, I remember. The LP pictured is a BFG or something. Note the p-90 in the neck, yur.

eleven59

None shall pass.
Contributor
Reaction score
This was posted elsewhere, I remember. The LP pictured is a BFG or something. Note the p-90 in the neck, yur.

Nope, the whole line is going to be like this. The BFGs were just the first.

And apparently they've been doing a little bit of this for the last 10 years or so, just not to this amount. Before it was just a little bit of weight relief holes, now it's practically hollow.

Horizon Whore

Resident Southpaw
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, they thought they were getting complaints about the new LPs not feeling/sounding like the old ones before...

And now watch the value of older LPs climb further through the roof.

thats because Gibson is in a crisis at the moment, the last few years its been quality not quantity, because they are a guitar manufacturing giant and they KNOW it.

in my guitar there are many small flaws but they go unnoticed from far away, but thats still not the point, you pay good money yet you get a half a job guitar..

never buying another again, unless its an older second hand mint :D

')