The NGD I didn't expect: it's another ibanez.

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
Well, the other day I was sitting at work on my lunch break cruising SSO and eBay, and stumbled upon a very good deal on my favorite type of guitar with my favorite pickups:

A Baritone 6 string with Dimarzio Titans, an Ibanez RGIB6 to be more specific. I bid and won, because I couldn't resist.

I must say, it's an awesome companion to my PRS Mike Mushok (also with Titans). They feel different in the way playing a PRS McCarty next to a nice Gibson Les Paul Custom feels different: one is just a little more vintage flavored, with a fatter neck. But they both sound great and with the same pickups and strings they're not completely dissimilar in tone. (The Ibanez being the equivalent of the more modern McCarty in this analogy)

Let me just say this: the Titan's are simply the best pickup I've ever tried. The articulation is there, the response isn't stiff, and the cut is present but not overbearing. The D-Activator is the only thing that comes close to it for me.

Anyway, here's a pic:

12278810_993633484027022_8135731384830056353_n.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Nour Ayasso

Reaction score
HNGD! That's pretty sweet! What Price and what tuning do you have it in? Also, have you tried Ionizers? I'm not sure if you play 7/8 but he based those off of D'activators, so I'm curious to how Titans and Ionizers sound when compared. :hbang:

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
HNGD! That's pretty sweet! What Price and what tuning do you have it in? Also, have you tried Ionizers? I'm not sure if you play 7/8 but he based those off of D'activators, so I'm curious to how Titans and Ionizers sound when compared. :hbang:

$415 shipped with the Titans. I have it in B standard, I've never tried Ionizers, but I'll keep 'em in mind if I pick up a seven string at some point. :yesway:

Alewreck

Reaction score
Just curious, but what exactly is a Baritone? Is it basically just a longer scale length to help with downtuning? I'm fairly new to ERG so these concepts are new to me also :p

PS: She looks kickass btw. You should post a video of her in action once she's set up :)

Steinmetzify

CHUG & SLUDGE
Reaction score
Just curious, but what exactly is a Baritone? Is it basically just a longer scale length to help with downtuning? I'm fairly new to ERG so these concepts are new to me also :p

PS: She looks kickass btw. You should post a video of her in action once she's set up :)

Yup....this one is a 28" scale.....usually, the lower you tune, the bigger strings you need to balance out tension, and this solves that problem as the strings you can use are much thinner.

YT9, as you know I have one and dig it a LOT...I'll throw it up FS and then play it for a while and take it down just because it can sound so heavy in a mix. HNGD!

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
Yup....this one is a 28" scale.....usually, the lower you tune, the bigger strings you need to balance out tension, and this solves that problem as the strings you can use are much thinner.

YT9, as you know I have one and dig it a LOT...I'll throw it up FS and then play it for a while and take it down just because it can sound so heavy in a mix. HNGD!

Yup. Also, thinner strings = slightly brighter tone = more attack, which makes it less of a job to stand out in a mix or just get the percussiveness that you desire.

Not only that, but the longer scale length alone actually makes it sound a little brighter, giving you more clarity. Cleans are kind of bell like in nature when you have a high headroom clean with decent reverb.

Nour Ayasso

Reaction score
$415 shipped with the Titans. I have it in B standard, I've never tried Ionizers, but I'll keep 'em in mind if I pick up a seven string at some point. :yesway:
Thats a steeeaaal! Actually no that's Agile pricing for triple the quality -jealous-
Enjoy the axe! :hbang:
Just curious, but what exactly is a Baritone? Is it basically just a longer scale length to help with downtuning?
That's exactly what a baritone is! Though it is rare to see baritones used for standard tunings, it does happen for the bright tone, but usually baritones are used for overall lower tunings. The thing I want to point out is the difference between ERG and baritones and how they don't have to intertwine. That's why I love that Ibanez released this model so people could have a chance to buy just a baritone and not an ERG.

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
String gauge?

Very clean and sleek looking axe and great price.

HNGD

I'm not sure exactly what it came with but I'd have to guess .014-.070. They're much thicker than the .013-.062's (IIRC) that I've used in the past.

I have slightly thinner strings on the way from Kalium.

')