The Nocturnal Chaos - Vertebrae : FULL SONG djenty ( DKFH, ENGL Powerball, SM57 )

Daemon

The Nocturnal Chaos
Reaction score
Hi everybody !
This time the full song =)

Recorded this Sunday, with :
- ESP ltd Deluxe M1000
- ENGL Powerball
- Shure SM57
- Line6 Toneport Ux2
- Pod Farm
- EZ Drummer
- Reaper

AND A LOT OF TIME =)

Please tell me what you think about my work, and follow me on :

Soundclick
Facebook
Myspace
LastFM

The song :

<div style="width:473px; border:solid #999999 1px; background-image:url('http://www.soundclick.com/images/elogos/SC_ExtBG.png')">
<a href='http://www.soundclick.com/thenocturnalchaos'>
<div style="background-color:width:460px; height:45px; cursor:pointer; background-image:url('http://www.soundclick.com/images/elogos/SC_460.png');"></div></a>
<div id="lower"><object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess="never" allowNetworking="internal" height="60" width="473" data="http://www.soundclick.com/player/V2/mp3player.swf">
<param name="allowScriptAccess" value="never" />
<param name="allowNetworking" value="internal" />
<param name="movie" value="http://www.soundclick.com/player/V2/mp3player.swf" />
<param name="loop" value="false" />
<param name="menu" value="false" />
<param name="quality" value="high" />
<param name="wmode" value="transparent" />
<param name="flashvars" value="playType=single&songid=9849020&scid=9849020&q=hi&ext=1" />
<param name="scale" value="noscale" />
<param name="salign" value="b" />
<param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" />
</object></div></div>

Thanks,
Daemon

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
EZ Drummer is massively inferior to other drum programs, consider a different program.

That said, the Powerball sounds great. A little to much bass for my taste, and maybe too few mids, but I totally want that amp. ;)

I actually think that could be fixed by a different mic placement, but you surely don't wanna re-track everything. ;)

For future reference, I think you should experiment a bit with mic placements, this one just isn't doing it for me. It isn't as good as it COULD be, as that is one hell of an amp.

Daemon

The Nocturnal Chaos
Reaction score
The mic placement is straight in the middle axe of the left Speaker..
And for he drum software, I dont manage to find SD 2.0.. =/

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
Just because it is in a place that is commonly used doesn't make it the right spot.

For starters, every speaker is different. Yes, even the "identical" ones in your cab. I always start by finding my favorite speaker. Then I create 12-16 audio tracks. I set the mic some where, i.e. cone middle. Then I record. Then I move it back half a foot, recording that on a different track. Then back a foot. Make sure you accurately and descriptively label all of the placements on its respective track.

Placement to consider: 45 degrees at both center and edge of speaker. Usually what I use. Remember, live sound =/= recorded sound.

Yes, LOTS of work. But it pays off. And for me, after years of recording, finding the best mic placement for a brand new speaker set is a rush for me. It becomes an addiction, chasing that correct tone.

Werwolf999

Reaction score
You also might want to consider using more than just one type of mic to record with.

Also, recording w/ a bass is a must. You could very well get what you think is a great tone only to find that it gets lost in the mix when you add a bass track.

As for EQing, the best advice I ever got was to get the amp to sound as good as it possibly can, and then add some EQ. Of course this is a highly subjective thing, but it's always good to start w/ a high/low pass and then find the sweet spots in the EQ curve. I've found, from personal experience w/ my equipment, that the 400s, 800s and 3Ks, generally, will need something. The 1.5-2Ks, if overdone, can make a tone sound sharp, painful and "icepicky", so be careful around that range.

Spite

Reaction score
Pretty solid tune, but the sound and overall mix definately needs work.
For starters, as others have mentioned, the guitar tone is nowhere near what the PB can achieve. I should know, I used to own one.
To me, it sounds like you're using too much gain and to little mids. Try backing off the gain and bass a bit, adding more mids and adjusting the treble to taste. It might not sound as good solo'd at first, but when the mix comes together it'll all fit together nicely.
Also, find your speakers sweetspot with the mic close to the cab, then back it up a bit for a more "full" sound.
You might lose attack on this if its too much, though, so keep that in mind.

As mentioned before as well, the drums need work. Try adding a compressor on the drum track, as well as turning the snare up a bit. Being a very limited piece of software, this is one thing I found to bring it alittle more to life when I used EZ drummer.

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
Something that will GREATLY improve the sound of your EZ Drummer is if you use a different kick and snare, ergo triggering them off. A sample of this is in my signature.

Prime

Crazy Robot Guy
Reaction score
I hate EZ drummer. Could never get a decent sound from it.

Maybe try some parallel compression.

Also...it going to be hard to tell how the mix will sound without adding bass.

Every instrument plays a huge role in the overall mix.

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
Search bro! This is SS.org! :lol:

More mids, less lows! Much less gain. Compressors and noise gates don't hurt. If you have an overdrive pedal and you gain stage properly, it can really help. Put it inbetween your guitar and the amp with gain almost all the way down and the tone about 70% up. That combined with the less lows, gain, and mids should be pretty damn djenty.

metalfish

Reaction score
YO! Great track, man!
I've gotta agree with The Armada about the guitar tone.

Also, if you're looking for a quick solution to the bass issue, just record the bassline on the guitar (clean channel, middle pickup), and run it through 'ReaPitch', one of Reaper's many included VST's. Follow that up with a guitar/bass amp simulator, followed by impulses, compression, eq, etc. It's obviously not as good as a real bass guitar, but it provides a part of the low end punch you might be looking for.

Daemon

The Nocturnal Chaos
Reaction score
Humm thx !
I'll try.. =)
What do you think, everybody, about the the quality of the song himself ( the composition ) ? ^^