The Official After the Burial Thread: All things ATB!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

spawnofthesith

Reaction score
I picked up my copy Wednesday. I really like it, but it doesn't come close to comparing to Rareform, in my opinion. But its still a great album. It kinda reminded me of all that remains in places. I'm not a fan of the sung vocals really though.

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
I fucking love it. Wayyyyyyy better than Rareform in my opinion. Musically AND vocally.

It's just more my taste. Rareform took a few listens for me to get into. This was instant.

goherpsNderp

no refutin' rasputen
Reaction score
My Frailty is definitely in need of moar of that opening riff. they had a few chances to go back into it later in the song, but seemed to opt out for time constraints or something. i thought it was the best part of the song- yes, even better than the solo.

just seemed to evil and sick. especially with the high raspy vocals. (doesn't the lead guitarist do those on the tour?)

Guamskyy

Hwat you call me?
Reaction score
My Frailty is definitely in need of moar of that opening riff. they had a few chances to go back into it later in the song, but seemed to opt out for time constraints or something. i thought it was the best part of the song- yes, even better than the solo.

just seemed to evil and sick. especially with the high raspy vocals. (doesn't the lead guitarist do those on the tour?)

I agree dude. IMO, the opener and second riff are the strong points of the song, the solo is great but not my favorite part of the song.

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
I'm preparing for the flaming but... I'd much rather listen to My Frailty than Berzerker. I never really understood what was so great about that song other than a couple cool parts.

I'm really glad they ventured into some clean vocals too. With the way bands who used to be all screaming are... the next album will have more clean vocals, and they will be a million times better. Even though I really like what they did with this one.

8.5/10

Double A

Subhuman
Reaction score
This album is pretty underwhelming to me. After hearing so much about this band here and enjoying the first album for the most part...it is also pretty schizophrenic. It is like they sometimes remembered they had 8 strings and wanted to add a breakdownish part for teh brutal. In the new album there were so many parts that could have been expanded. I like when bands know when to expand on a riff and when to keep it simple to emphasize a part. This album really seems that they did the opposite that each case required.

It is a good album (although at some points too "Nu" for me) and this band has all the potential in the world. But a couple songs just feel like they had cool parts laying around and they threw them together haphazardly. 6/10 for me.

RaceCar

Que te jodas.
Reaction score
got my singed poster and cd. came with a sweet sticker. pretty annoyed though that i purchased the poster tube with it and the poster is bent on the edges and across the top and has a tear in it.:mad: i'm gonna contact merchconnection and be like wtf. the cd did come with a sweet shiny in dreams sticker though:hbang:

Yeah man got mine in the mail and the poster was all wrinkled up and had cuts along the edges, and the CD case was also cracked and there were loose shards of plastic all over the place. Definitley pissed me off, and it came 5 days after the album came out. From the looks of it, I seem to be one of the lucky ones and that this company is pretty bad with timing.

After a week of listening to this album religiously (probably listened to it in it's entirety 50 times), I have a few new things to say about it:

1. To Carry You Away is awesome. Like really really awesome. The heavy riff in the middle of the song (with the Smells Like Teen Spirit drum fill leading into it) is probably the heaviest riff on the album in my opinion.
2. Anthony sounds like Jared Leto when he sings sometimes.
3. Sometimes, the double bass sounds a little uneven, as if one of the bass drums on whatever program they used is set to a different volume or tone, slightly. For example, on my My Frailty during the quick double bass part in the middle, not every bass drum note is equal, it sounds like he has 2 different heads on 2 different bass drums. I am not crazy about this sound, however minor it may be.
4. I HATE the chantings especially in pendulum at the end "WE LOSE CONTROL!!!!" althought I guess live it will be cool (?)
5. If there's one song I will avoid like the plague, it's Sleeper. I do not care for this song at all. There is a cool breakdown in the middle but in general it sounds very generic and something I've heard a million times before.

Everything else is all good and slowly growing on me.

NaYoN

Heavy Blog Is Heavy
Reaction score
4. I HATE the chantings especially in pendulum at the end "WE LOSE CONTROL!!!!" althought I guess live it will be cool (?)

Seems to me and my friends that most of the songs on this album were made not to be impressive on their own but to make the concert-goers mosh out/scream out loud catchy choruses during shows. Some might like this. To be honest, I would prefer the songs to stand on their own, but that's just me. And of course, YMMV on the definition of 'stand on its own'

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
There's definitely a lot of anthemic "arena rock" style stuff thrown in there, probably for live effect.

Reaction score
Sleeper is one of my favorite songs on the album because as I listened to Rareform when I first bought it, I felt this band could really benefit from some clean vocals and to see it come to fruition is awesome. Plus, I love that chorus. It's infectious, and I find myself singing it all the time. To me, this CD gets better with each listen, which is good because it has yet to leave my CD player in my truck haha.

Now I will say i'm nearly at set merch connection on fire mode :mad:

Reaction score
Now I will say i'm nearly at set merch connection on fire mode :mad:

I was at that setting when I got my periphery pre order package late. Now this one is late too. And the guy running it seems like a dick and very informal about answering his business phone. Im not gunna buy from there again.

On the flip side im still lovin the album luckily.

Reaction score
I was at that setting when I got my periphery pre order package late. Now this one is late too. And the guy running it seems like a dick and very informal about answering his business phone. Im not gunna buy from there again.

On the flip side im still lovin the album luckily.

Yeah, I had never had an issue ordering from them before, but then again it was just shirts with no real time constraints. I feel like with a pre order package, you should get it the day of. I just got a shipping notification from them, though, so it'll be here soon. It's just so damn frustrating.

MintBerryCrunch

Melody>Metal
Reaction score
replay value on this cd sucks. i can only really getin into tracks 1,2, and 7, then i'll play 4 and 5 because they're "okay" been a long time sense i could put in a cd and just let it ride.

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
"My Frailty" is easily my favorite track thus far. Followed by "Promises Kept".

I really do love all the songs though. Those 2 just do more for me than the rest. "Bread Crumbs And White Stones" definitely takes 3rd place.

Oh and... this album sounds INSANE through my car's Boston Acoustics system.

MintBerryCrunch

Melody>Metal
Reaction score
That might be a personal issue. :2c: I've heard a lotta CD's in the last couple years that are awesome, start to finish.

please list a few?

the albums i can think of like that are

meshuggah - obzen
veil of maya - all things set aside
winds of plague - decimate the weak
opeth - still life
otep - house of secrets (nu metal i know, but lyrically phenomenal)
Misery Signals - Controller
After the Burial - Forging a Future Self

MintBerryCrunch

Melody>Metal
Reaction score
"My Frailty" is easily my favorite track thus far. Followed by "Promises Kept".

I really do love all the songs though. Those 2 just do more for me than the rest. "Bread Crumbs And White Stones" definitely takes 3rd place.

Oh and... this album sounds INSANE through my car's Boston Acoustics system.

if i can say one thing for this album it does hit pretty hard. i put the cd in the dvd player and play it through my home theater. got like two huge sub woofers and two stand alone towers and it friggin kicks you in the balls. but like i said. tracks 1, 2 and 4 are the best for that low end stomach pummeling. i think pendulum flat out sucks. dont know what it is about that song but it never gets goin for me

Latest posts

')