The Official Agile ERG Thread

COBHC

Belongs On 1 String
Reaction score
Case is a good investment. Fedex stepped all over mine. Busted up case pretty bad , but luckily no harm to the guitar.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Collapse

Reaction score
more pics of my nat pro, really liking this beast alot
100_0939.jpg

100_0940.jpg

100_0943.jpg

100_0946.jpg

100_0948.jpg

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
mine. i was expecting something to be damaged because almost everyones guitars on here had at least one flaw on it. i have to say that this one is flawless though. i also have the charcoal standard with ebony fretboard from the first run. i must say that this one feels a lot better. the neck feels a little different. the rosewood is really nice. the frets are really nice even. all i did was lower the action a little. the only mods i need to do is file the nut slots a little so the larger strings i use can sink in all the way. the pickups sound great. i like the neck pickup as well. and that new headstock absolutely kills. i removed the trussrod cover though and cleaned all the white stuff out of the cavities. i am in love with this guitar. now i just need cases.....

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
well in the next week my sister will be sending a package from my dads house with my clothes my oakleys and my nikon D80 with extra lenses so i think it will be ok ;)

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Hey, can you guys check your string height off the first fret? Mine's at 1.1mm. I'm not sure if I should file it down further (it's way higher than any of my other guitars), or just leave it. The action is nice (between 1-2mm at the 12th fret), so I'm worried that lowering it here would necessitate raising it towards the bridge. ?:scratch:

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
So...any word on when the other models will be available for pre-order, or is this just those on the site right now?

jamesmafyew

Reaction score
Hey, can you guys check your string height off the first fret? Mine's at 1.1mm. I'm not sure if I should file it down further (it's way higher than any of my other guitars), or just leave it. The action is nice (between 1-2mm at the 12th fret), so I'm worried that lowering it here would necessitate raising it towards the bridge. ?:scratch:

If you don't mind it where it is, then leave it. It's only a problem if you have a hard time fretting cleanly on the first/second frets, or if the notes at those frets seem to go sharp (because you have to press down so hard to fret them).

Generally, a good rule is to have a space between the string and the first fret that's equal to or slightly larger than the diameter of the string. I set my Intrepid's nut up this way and found that playing down the neck felt a lot better, and the overall feel of the neck improved.

HOWEVER: before going low with the nut, make sure the truss rod is where it needs to be and that the saddle height is at least in the ballpark of where you want it. If you file the nut too low, you'll have to replace it, which is NOT an easy proposition with 8 strings.

Lowering the nut slot height shouldn't mean changing the action at the bridge, if that's working right now. The vibrating string clearance for everything BUT the open string will be exactly the same anyway... it'll just be easier to press down.

FlamesOfDestiny

VideoGameMetal.com
Reaction score
Quick questions about the Agile 8-strings. Is upper fret access an issue on either the Standard or the Pro? Does the heel get in the way of playing on the upper frets? I have an ESP EC-1000 that I'm trying to sell right now due to the neck/body being so thick under all frets 17+.

Thanks for any info!

Slayer89

The Demon Barber
Reaction score
I can't speak for the Standard, but if it's anything like the Pro, upper fret access is great.

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
Quick questions about the Agile 8-strings. Is upper fret access an issue on either the Standard or the Pro? Does the heel get in the way of playing on the upper frets? I have an ESP EC-1000 that I'm trying to sell right now due to the neck/body being so thick under all frets 17+.

Thanks for any info!

On my Pro, the access is great. I can even hit the 24th fret on the lowest string without the body getting much in the way.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
He has some available, but when did he get the Passive Bloodburst and Oceanburst in? I figured those were the first ones and then he was just going to add more.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
If you don't mind it where it is, then leave it. It's only a problem if you have a hard time fretting cleanly on the first/second frets, or if the notes at those frets seem to go sharp (because you have to press down so hard to fret them).

Generally, a good rule is to have a space between the string and the first fret that's equal to or slightly larger than the diameter of the string. I set my Intrepid's nut up this way and found that playing down the neck felt a lot better, and the overall feel of the neck improved.

HOWEVER: before going low with the nut, make sure the truss rod is where it needs to be and that the saddle height is at least in the ballpark of where you want it. If you file the nut too low, you'll have to replace it, which is NOT an easy proposition with 8 strings.

Lowering the nut slot height shouldn't mean changing the action at the bridge, if that's working right now. The vibrating string clearance for everything BUT the open string will be exactly the same anyway... it'll just be easier to press down.
Thanks for the input. Everything else on the guitar is set up ideally now - truss rod, action, etc. I'm not really having any problem with fretting at the first fret, so I might just leave it. It looks weird, but if I hadn't specifically looked at it, I might never have noticed.

Bakerman

Reaction score

The lower strings shouldn't have to be so high--my 8th (.074 F) sits about .050" from the 1st fret and it's 3 or 4 cents sharp there. Something like .010" (high) to .020" (low) of space should be fine and have the open notes buzzing less than fretted notes; if you don't mind the open string responding more like fretted notes you can go even lower or at least reduce the increase toward low strings.

jamesmafyew

Reaction score
The lower strings shouldn't have to be so high--my 8th (.074 F) sits about .050" from the 1st fret and it's 3 or 4 cents sharp there. Something like .010" (high) to .020" (low) of space should be fine and have the open notes buzzing less than fretted notes; if you don't mind the open string responding more like fretted notes you can go even lower or at least reduce the increase toward low strings.

Yes, you're right -- and in fact I've taken mine lower and it has helped.

Another thing I've found is that these necks seem to do much better with more relief. I had the relief at .010" on the high E string (1st to 24th fret, measured at the 9th), and it had weird random buzzes. I increased the relief to around .018" (on the high side) and with the same action, there's significantly less buzz. It feels better playing quick runs and arpeggios.:scratch:

')