The Official Agile ERG Thread

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Yes, you're right -- and in fact I've taken mine lower and it has helped.

Another thing I've found is that these necks seem to do much better with more relief. I had the relief at .010" on the high E string (1st to 24th fret, measured at the 9th), and it had weird random buzzes. I increased the relief to around .018" (on the high side) and with the same action, there's significantly less buzz. It feels better playing quick runs and arpeggios.:scratch:

Yeah, I might try adding some relief in the neck. I'm going to switch to 8-38 +52+70, which will decrease the string tension from the stock strings, so I'll need a truss adjustment anyway. But, I am a little intimidated about adjusting two truss rods. This business about having two rods to compensate for the increased tension of the lower strings scares me, because it seems I should tighten the lower truss rod more, but how much? And how do you check it, given that truss rods can take days to affect the neck? Scary stuff.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jamesmafyew

Reaction score
Yeah, I might try adding some relief in the neck. I'm going to switch to 8-38 +52+70, which will decrease the string tension from the stock strings, so I'll need a truss adjustment anyway. But, I am a little intimidated about adjusting two truss rods. This business about having two rods to compensate for the increased tension of the lower strings scares me, because it seems I should tighten the lower truss rod more, but how much? And how do you check it, given that truss rods can take days to affect the neck? Scary stuff.

On mine, I've found that the treble side rod seems significantly tighter than the bass side, and the bass side actually has slightly LESS relief. I'm afraid I'm going to destroy the neck trying to figure these things out by trial-and-error. If anyone has any wisdom about dealing with these it would be most welcome. :squint:

I can't imagine playing 8s on the Intrepid though! I'm using 10-80 detuned one semitone, which is still higher tension than the spec gauges in standard tuning, and I'm even thinking of going to 11-84 if the neck would handle it.

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
The string tension isn't really all that different from top to bottom. The two truss rods are more so you can dial in the right amount of relief for the treble and bass strings pseudo-independently. Because the lower strings vibrate more, you might want a little more relief than on the treble side, where you might want the neck a bit straighter and your action a touch lower.

Ewan

Reaction score
Is it just me or is the neck on the standard intrepid just insanely comfortable? I find it more comfortable than the septor and interceptor

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
Well I got good news today. On Saturday Kurt broke the news to me that my Dual Ghostburst standard was actually a Oceanburst single pickup standard. I was bummed and was probably just going to settle for the Oceanburst, but today he e-mailed me first thing and said he got a Dual Darkburst and a Dual Charcoal. So now I have a Dual Darkburst on the way :hbang:

eegor

Theoretical Reality
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that you didn't get that Dual Ghostburst, but I'm glad you're getting something that, imo, is just as awesome!

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that you didn't get that Dual Ghostburst, but I'm glad you're getting something that, imo, is just as awesome!

Yeah I am definately happy with it. Really i was fine with any color Dual Standard. I think they all look pretty badass.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
On mine, I've found that the treble side rod seems significantly tighter than the bass side, and the bass side actually has slightly LESS relief. I'm afraid I'm going to destroy the neck trying to figure these things out by trial-and-error. If anyone has any wisdom about dealing with these it would be most welcome. :squint:

I can't imagine playing 8s on the Intrepid though! I'm using 10-80 detuned one semitone, which is still higher tension than the spec gauges in standard tuning, and I'm even thinking of going to 11-84 if the neck would handle it.

11s! Holy crap. You've got stronger fingers than I have. I figured if I normally play 9s on a 25.5, 8s on a 28.625 give about the same tension, so I'll go with that. If anyone has any reason that my idea doesn't necessarily make sense, let me know! I need to get these nasty old strings that came on it changed, and I'm not into putting a lighter set on, adjusting the truss rod and intonation, just to find out I don't like it.

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
I'm going pretty thin with the gauges on mine to avoid the low end sounding too much like a bass. I ended up putting together a mostly-balanced 8-68 set with an Octave4Plus 8. While I was at it, I also got a 7 to string my Ibanez up with a high Ab. I can't wait to see how these strings work.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I am going .9-.42 with a .56 and a .68 on mine. All elixer.

What do you normally play - on 25.5" length? 10s? Or do you use 9s on those as well?

I'm going pretty thin with the gauges on mine to avoid the low end sounding too much like a bass. I ended up putting together a mostly-balanced 8-68 set with an Octave4Plus 8. While I was at it, I also got a 7 to string my Ibanez up with a high Ab. I can't wait to see how these strings work.

What are you using, specifically? I found the 8-38 set is pretty close to balanced and then a 52+68. Are you just using a stock 8-38, or what did you put together?

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
What are you using, specifically? I found the 8-38 set is pretty close to balanced and then a 52+68. Are you just using a stock 8-38, or what did you put together?

I came up with at least a few sets, but based on how well the stock 60(?) handles down at Eb, I ended up going with:

len 28.625"

E4b .008" O4+
B3b .010" PL == 10.22#
G3b .013" PL == 10.88#
D3b .017" PL == 10.44#
A2b .026" NW == 11.6#
E2b .036" NW == 12.31#
A1b .052" NW == 11.01#
E1b .068" NW == 10.87#

All Elixers except for the 8. Some of the strings are a bit lighter than I'd like, but I wanted a set that was pretty balanced (I didn't want the low Eb to suddenly have a lot less tension than the string next to it) and that had a low Eb with as light a string as I felt I could get away with.

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
What do you normally play - on 25.5" length? 10s? Or do you use 9s on those as well?

In standard tuning I do 9's or 10's. But I go all the way up to .12's on my 25.5's for lower tunings like C and B standard.

jamesmafyew

Reaction score
11s! Holy crap. You've got stronger fingers than I have. I figured if I normally play 9s on a 25.5, 8s on a 28.625 give about the same tension, so I'll go with that.

See, my other guitars are Gibsons and Telecasters tuned baritone, so for example I use a 25.5" Tele tuned ADGCEA with 14-70 strings, and a 24.75" Les Paul tuned Bb F Bb Eb G C with 13-64 strings. So playing 10-80 detuned one semitone on the Intrepid feels strange to me, like the strings are tiny and kind of floppy...?

That's why I think maybe 11-48 + 65 + 84 would be most comfortable for me. I'm just not sure going 35 pounds over the spec tension on the neck is advisable (I'm at 20 pounds over right now).

mgcasella

Reaction score
Quick question about the Agile Intrepid:

Will those Grovers take an 80 for the F#? If not, would it be safe to drill out the hole?

Sorry to interrupt :rolleyes:

Galius

Mentally Guitarded
Reaction score
Quick question about the Agile Intrepid:

Will those Grovers take an 80 for the F#? If not, would it be safe to drill out the hole?

Sorry to interrupt :rolleyes:

It can be drilled out. It needs to be drilled to fit anything bigger than a 60.

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I could just barely fit a .070 through the Grovers on my T-7 Texan, so yes, it will have to be drilled out. .080 is going to be mighty heavy on the bottom string.

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
so so heavy. its amazing. im in love with it. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :p

mgcasella

Reaction score
Do you guys think 080 would be too heavy - maybe almost unuseable/un-intonateable?
Should I go lighter? I've never had an F# string before :lol:

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
On a 28.625" scale, you might not have to go that heavy. I use a .072 on mine, and even that probably doesn't have to be as heavy as it is.

')