The Official Agile ERG Thread

eegor

Theoretical Reality
Reaction score
What they need to do is engineer these bridges so that they are at a bit of an angle, but not anywhere as extreme as a fanned fret bridge. That way the F# saddle would be far enough away without having the high E saddle too far back.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mgcasella

Reaction score
My initial thought was that the bridge could just be placed about 1/8" to 1/4" farther back. This should get rid of the issues with intonating the F# (filing saddle, clipping the spring, cutting the screw, etc).

At the same time, the bridge wouldn't be too far back that you would have issues intonating the higher strings (I think) :scratch:

A fanned bridge or individual saddles in a fanned pattern (such as the ones for bass here: Single Saddle Bass Bridge, Small, Black) would definitely be the best solution IMO but that would jack up the cost :ugh:

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
My initial thought was that the bridge could just be placed about 1/8" to 1/4" farther back. This should get rid of the issues with intonating the F# (filing saddle, clipping the spring, cutting the screw, etc).

At the same time, the bridge wouldn't be too far back that you would have issues intonating the higher strings (I think) :scratch:

They were already moved back a bit from their position in the first run. The saddles on the treble strings are pretty much at the ends of the screws, and for some people it may be necessary to get longer screws.

mgcasella

Reaction score
They were already moved back a bit from their position in the first run. The saddles on the treble strings are pretty much at the ends of the screws, and for some people it may be necessary to get longer screws.

That sucks. Can longer screws be purchased anywhere? Maybe mass-produced fanned bridges on the cheap are the only way to go with this one. I really love the look of individual saddles in a fanned pattern, however.

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
Screws can probably be gotten at most hardware stores, I'd imagine. With longer screws and one of those short saddles like the ones on the Schecter 8s, I think these bridges would work just fine.

mgcasella

Reaction score
Is it possible to replace the F# steel saddle with a Graphtech one and then just file the back down (I've heard graphite is easy to file)? This way, the saddle could be brought backwards farther and closer to the bridge.

Bakerman

Reaction score
3 mm wide, 20 mm long screws are perfect for higher strings; I found some at a hardware store last week. The bridge placement seems pretty good for a low F/F#. Maybe 1-2 mm further back would still be ok for the higher strings with 20 or 22 mm screws.

The stock screws are 16mm so this should give an idea how far forward the saddles are--end of the 20 mm screw just barely obscured by the saddle. This is with action around 2 mm (high) to 3mm (low) at the 12th fret, which will get slightly lower once I file the nut slots deeper, so the saddes may need to move a fraction of a mm further up after that.

jamesmafyew

Reaction score
Is it possible to replace the F# steel saddle with a Graphtech one and then just file the back down (I've heard graphite is easy to file)? This way, the saddle could be brought backwards farther and closer to the bridge.

Yes, I've done this --- filed front and back, which will only give you about 1-2mm of extra adjustment. The graphtech saddles are slightly longer than the stock steel saddles anyway, so it's really more like 1mm only.

Check this post for a picture. I have since clipped the screw, removed the spring, and radiused the back corner to get it all the way back.

Giamatti

Reaction score
In a slight skew from the topic at hand, MY INTREPID CAME TODAY! :hbang:

Seeing as the forum has been inundated with NI(ntrepid)Ds due to the latest run being dispatched, I thought I'd save the clutter and just mention it here. 1st erg, and I'm AMAZED at how comfy it is.

The intonation is grand too, thankfully, but individual saddles would rock. :shred:

Giamatti

Reaction score
The Natural Pro, I got it off Iondestroyer here on Sevenstring, as I missed the deadline for the last batch, and couldn't wait 5-6 months for the next run as the money I saved for it wouldn't last that long. Tip top nick, I really love it. Cheers Darren!

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
Nattie Pros are still in stock at Rondo. oops edit that only the ebony board ones.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Well, I've officially decided the nut is just too damn high. I'm going to take it in to the tech at the local music store and have the slots filed down. It plays fine, but just knowing I could get it a little lower is eating at me!

mgcasella

Reaction score
Does anyone know when the next line of Intrepids will be ready to order? I really wanted one of those ghostbursts with the rosewood fretboard :erk:

eegor

Theoretical Reality
Reaction score
So, I changed the strings on my Intrepid to a custom set: 10, 13, 17, 26, 36, 48, 62, 80, tuned E A D G C F A D (or F# standard, but one step down). Intonation was pretty much perfect out of the box, but for some reason I can't get the C string to stop buzzing on the first fret. Its saddle is already higher than the others, and I've adjusted the truss rod about as much as I feel comfortable with, and it still buzzes pretty bad on the first fret.

Do you guys have any suggestions for what I should do? I'm thinking about taking it to someone to set it up correctly, as I don't have much experience with guitar tech stuff.

amassivetree

Reaction score
Does anyone know when the next line of Intrepids will be ready to order? I really wanted one of those ghostbursts with the rosewood fretboard :erk:

I'm really anxious too to throw a down payment on a Kahler one before I blow my new guitar fund on something stupid. I was going to ask in the Interceptor thread (I think the trem might go along with the short-scale, interceptor body idea), but didnt want to exhume a dying thread...

')