The Official Agile ERG Thread

Slayer89

The Demon Barber
Reaction score
Don't feel like reading through 336 pages.

Overall, is this guitar worth it? I'm thinking about getting one for fun and for 700 or so it's pretty reasonable, also I love natural finishes so that's a plus too.

I just never played and Agile and by the looks of their other stuff it's all 'knock offs' but this is an original agile...

Would there be a stickied thread with 3,000+ replies if it wasn't worth it?:cool:

I understand not wanting to read it all (I sure haven't), but for future reference a quick skim over the last couple pages would've answered a lot of questions.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mlp187

Burrito Master
Contributor
Reaction score
Here's a bittersweet story:

I now own an Intrepid Dual Standard Darkburst. I got a blem model for $520.66 shipped (it had a super tiny ding on the lower horn radius by the neck pocket, that's it). It arrived yesterday. So hooray! I didn't post a NGD thread because everybody knows what these beasts are.

Here's the bitter part: Decent .223 ammo is too expensive to shoot so I sold my Stag Model 6. Although I did get a lot more than $500 for it, I had other stuff to pay off. I also have a guitar I REALLY want to restore. So, instead of restoring an Epiphone 635i I have I instead bought this guitar. I am super stoked! But now my Epiphone must wait in the closet!

Cheesebuiscut

Loves his Q-tuners
Reaction score
How are these agile guitars? I'm a big oldschool ibanez fan with the superwizard necks etc and the once or twice I got to pick up a 7 or 8 string the first thought that went through my head was *this neck is fat as hell and feels like a board*

I am still very bi- I mean extended 7/8 string curious and these things are actually affordable compared to whats on the market and appear to be better built.

What I'm really curious of is how the neck feels and how these "cepheus" pups sound since I can't seem to find one on the site that has 2 emg's in it.

Oh also since im a noob what does a 15" radius translate to? (I'm used to seeing 400, 430mm from ibanez)

Thanks!

GorillaSalsa

Reaction score
So remember earlier on in the thread when I couldn't tune the O4P strings up to A? I got some new ones in yesterday, and I finally did it! :D I'm stoked beyond belief right now, I love this. This is what I've been waiting for.

Don't feel like reading through 336 pages.

Overall, is this guitar worth it? I'm thinking about getting one for fun and for 700 or so it's pretty reasonable, also I love natural finishes so that's a plus too.

I just never played and Agile and by the looks of their other stuff it's all 'knock offs' but this is an original agile...
How are these agile guitars? I'm a big oldschool ibanez fan with the superwizard necks etc and the once or twice I got to pick up a 7 or 8 string the first thought that went through my head was *this neck is fat as hell and feels like a board*

I am still very bi- I mean extended 7/8 string curious and these things are actually affordable compared to whats on the market and appear to be better built.

What I'm really curious of is how the neck feels and how these "cepheus" pups sound since I can't seem to find one on the site that has 2 emg's in it.

If you'd read back maybe ten pages, you'd see that all of us love them. They play very well, and the pickups sound good. I don't think this thread would have 85 pages if these guitars were crap.

Oh also since im a noob what does a 15" radius translate to? (I'm used to seeing 400, 430mm from ibanez)

Let me google that for you

Cheesebuiscut

Loves his Q-tuners
Reaction score
Sorry didn't feel like reading through 85 pages, I'm just curious how the neck compares for someone who's used to ibanez necks since I see that even their 6 or 7 string models come some MM's thicker than what ibanez makes. The radius is usually completely off for trem models too but most of these have a hipshot so that shouldnt be too big of a problem.

Oh and 85 pages may not necessarily mean good... I mean I read through some pages of the rg2228 threads and there seemed to be just as much if not more dissapointment as there was optimism.

rondo's prices seem very cheap and I've had no experience with them so I was just curious if the quality holds up too.

My main biggie was the neck profiling... and how it compares to an older ibanez neck... Which I doubt anyone brought up thus far and I really don't feel like skimming through to find out if someone did.

Galius

Mentally Guitarded
Reaction score
The only thing I can say is that the neck profile is pretty thin and feels really great all things considered.
Sorry didn't feel like reading through 85 pages, I'm just curious how the neck compares for someone who's used to ibanez necks since I see that even their 6 or 7 string models come some MM's thicker than what ibanez makes. The radius is usually completely off for trem models too but most of these have a hipshot so that shouldnt be too big of a problem.

Oh and 85 pages may not necessarily mean good... I mean I read through some pages of the rg2228 threads and there seemed to be just as much if not more dissapointment as there was optimism.

rondo's prices seem very cheap and I've had no experience with them so I was just curious if the quality holds up too.

My main biggie was the neck profiling... and how it compares to an older ibanez neck... Which I doubt anyone brought up thus far and I really don't feel like skimming through to find out if someone did.

jamesmafyew

Reaction score
Does anyone else really really really hate the EMG-808?

I find myself getting tired of playing the Intrepid pretty quickly when I'm plugged in. It's not the amp --- I love the amp to death and all my other guitars with lots of different woods (equipped with passives, of course) sound amazing through it. I've done the 18v mod. Yet when I sit in front of the TV with my wife and practice on the Intrepid while it's not plugged in, I love playing it.

It's not supposed to sound better unplugged than plugged in! I feel like the EMG robs the guitar of its own tone and makes it sound fake, almost synthesized. Does anyone really love the 808?

It seems like I've been waiting forever for my BKP Cold Sweat 8...

stuh84

The Viking himself
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, I can't stand the 808, can't wait for the Swineshead I've ordered to arrive, the EMG does absolutely nothing for the guitar, and in my rig, due to all my other guitars being passive, the EMG has an EQ curve which causes so much feedback its scary....

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score

I find myself getting tired of playing the Intrepid pretty quickly when I'm plugged in. It's not the amp --- I love the amp to death and all my other guitars with lots of different woods (equipped with passives, of course) sound amazing through it. I've done the 18v mod. Yet when I sit in front of the TV with my wife and practice on the Intrepid while it's not plugged in, I love playing it.

It's not supposed to sound better unplugged than plugged in! I feel like the EMG robs the guitar of its own tone and makes it sound fake, almost synthesized. Does anyone really love the 808?

Yeah, I haven't had the chance to swap mine out, but I will say that it sounds great through my Pod and headphones. But when I plug it into the amp I don't like it at all. Bottom line, I'm scared to swap it out with something else unless I can hear it first, (e.g. BKP) and so I haven't pulled the trigger on it. FWIW, it kicks the pants off the EMG HZ passive I made the mistake of putting in my sixer. :wallbash:

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
18v mod the emg 808 much better

Better in what way? I read some notes about Darren's experience with it, and looked some stuff up online, and what I'm gathering is that it gives you more headroom if you're using a clean sound, but that many people think it has even less character than the 9v.

djohns74

Reaction score
I have no particular problem with the 808, but then I have no particular problem with EMGs in general. If there had been a Pro model with passives available when I ordered mine, I probably would have gone that route, but that would be more for the inclusion of a neck pickup. Continuing along that line of thought, if there existed a Pro model with dual EMGs, especially if the neck pup was some kind of 8 string 60, that would be the ideal choice for me.

Covenant

Is NOT gay
Reaction score

My friend got an Agile Intrepid Pro 8 sometime last month and i went to his house to try it out. I picked it up after watching him play it acousticly for about 20 mins because he had just got it about 2 hours before. So when i got to it i played it acousticly for a while too, but when i plugged it in it was really harsh sounding and plastic feeling.

So long story short i ordered an Agile Intrepid Standard on Thursday :lol:

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Damn that is tempting. From the description probably not a damn thing wrong with it.

Yeah, I have stains on the edge of my FB, and it was full price. Dang!:wallbash:
I'd send it back and get that guy if I thought I could part with it for 24 hrs.

')